A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fifties Kitchen Cupboard...help?  (Read 3250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkybrewster

Life's too short to not eat cake.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008 03:17:25 PM »

Dude tell Matty to SHUSH! I loveloveloveeee this thing exactly the way it is! The butter colour with the white looks so sweet! Maybe just give it another coat of paint and get all matching containers for everything?

I agree with the other ppl in this post though, get it valued before you do ANYTHING! <3<3<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wyco
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008 05:02:54 PM »

Have to agree...even if it is just a cheap version of a Hoosier it is still worth quite a bit... That in the i thing now..People are paying big money for original condition cabinets for their 40s or 50s style kitchens...If you have to do something, please do something that doesn't change the originals of this...You can hang the curtains, put in shelf paper etc... But please do not change anything!!! Except maybe ditching thr hubby... somehow those husbands don't go for much on ebay ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time is the moment that lasted forever, and the day that disappeared.......
cinnamon teal
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008 06:21:58 PM »

Love the cupboard!  If it were my own, and I needed to "fix it up" I think I'd paint dark brown on the outside and light slate blue on the inside.  I'd also change the shelf paper and the hardware (maybe to something from anthropologie or restoration hardware).  And if I had a lot of money, I might splurge and get a new countertop made for it.  You could probably get a nice piece of wood cut to size for it. 

I'd love to see pics of it when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008 07:45:25 PM »

I would keep the two tone feel but maybe update the colors a bit, you can get clear casting resin that is made for refinishing countertops and some powdered micha and redo the counter for a fraction of what the cost would be to replace it. 

I would also say to check craigslist or freecycle you can often find glass &/or frames there that you could turn into a sliding door to 1/2 cover the upper unit, maybe frost the glass with some circles and stripes for a mod effect and install a few small lights in the top portion of the cabinet and use some lighting inside that would play with the frosting on the windows.  Buy a few glass canisters and frost them to store the flour, sugar, etc... and some tall tin canisters and a magnetic 'spice rack' to attach in the back of the cabinet  and use some tin canisters for spices etc...,

If it were my cabinet I'd go with red and white with some black accents, and give it that soda shop feel lol.

I can't wait to see what you do with it though it's a beautiful piece with tons of possibility Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
M Fox
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008 09:17:49 PM »

Now you have a bunch of us waiting to see the next installment of "the cabinet story"  Grin
...is it worth a bundle?
...will she find a sliding door?
...can hubby deal with crafting in action?
...what will happen to ol' cabbie?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008 11:29:40 AM »

Since no one else has mentioned this, I'll put my two cents worth in. Will you be having a craft room/area in your home, because that lovely piece would be SO cute and useful for crafts. And if it's in an area that is "yours", maybe your husband's fastidious tastes won't be so offended.

Oooooooooohhhhhh!........I LOVE this idea............ Grin

If it were mine (after repainting the exterior) I would.........

1.  Lose the tacky shelf paper........ Shocked ..........the I'd recover the entire insides (including the upper shelf area ) with a fabric glued to the surfaces in a color contrasting to the outside color I chose.......... Grin

2.   Recover the counter top in a color that matches the interior..........there are a MILLION choices in self-adhesive tiles that can be used with minimal cost........all you'd need to do is browse a home improvement store to locate one you like......then "scuff" the surface of the existing counter top........apply the tiles............cut/remove any excess tile.......then reapply the edge stripping.......... Grin ...........easy breezy!

3.  Add a series of threaded hooks on the top of the side panels............the outside areas........as well as across the top inside front..........for hanging easy-to-lose items........... Grin

Voila!.........The most adorable and functional craft/sewing cabinet!........ Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008 10:41:20 PM »

OH NO!!!  Shocked
PLEASE don't change it!!! It is perfect, I think you'd be amazed at the difference a good scrubbing can do. Maybe it is the unkempt appearance that bugs you SO so much? If you organised it really well, cleaned it up and out, he might like it better? The icky shelf paper needs to go. I DEF. would not weant to see doors or cutains up top, have you considered storing your dishes there? That might look nice. You could make fabric shelf covers with some kitchy pom-pom trim hanging over the edge Wink Just try to spruce it up a bit, then see if that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriegirlie

"Follow your wishing heart"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008 04:48:59 AM »

I understand what people are saying about getting it valued... but I say, if you love it and can change it to love it even more... then that's worth way more than any amount of money.  But it might be interesting to know what its worth.

I also think that scrubbing it could make a world of difference.

Is it beat up at all?  Nicks and dents and scratches?  I can't really tell from the picture.  If so, stripping the paint and giving it a good sanding could really help it out.  If there are big dents you can't sand out, there is this goup that they sell at the home improvement stores for filling in spaces like that in wood.  I have no idea what its called but I'm sure if you asked someone for "the stuff you use to fill in dents in wood", they'd be able to help you. 

Updated handles on the cabinets may help give the "face lift" you're looking for too.

I LOVE the idea someone (sorry, I can't remember who above wrote that) had about tiling the backsplash.  That could be really beautiful.  And redoing the counter top could help too.  Again, I can't really tell from the picture what condition it is.

I'll make another vote for removing that particular shelf liner.  Its sorta awful.  BUT I would definitely NOT NO NEVER! use fabric for lining in a kitchen cabinet.  It'll be impossible to clean and get all gunked up and make you want to cry.  Or at least it would make me want to cry if it happened to me.  Kitchens get that weird oil in the air that settles on stuff, and you really need a smooth surface to be able to clean it.  And just think if your flour spilled on the fabric...

But they do make this really neat shelf liner paper that is brushed chrome looking.  If you're going to play up the 50s element, that could be really neat-o.

I know this post is getting really long, so I'll only make one more suggestion.  If you're going to be moving into a new house, I might try to convince your guy that any renovations to the beautiful cabinet be postponed until you move into your new house.  It would really be horrible if you spent a bunch of time turning it into something red and black with white and chrome accents (for example) and moved it into a green and brown kitchen. 

Please update us with how the story ends! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"rise and drink your bliss"
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008 07:28:46 PM »

BUT I would definitely NOT NO NEVER! use fabric for lining in a kitchen cabinet.

I made the recommendation for the tile...........and the fabric as well.......... Smiley.........but all of my suggestions were if this were moved into a craft room/area.............and used to hold crafting supplies.......... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
faeriegirlie

"Follow your wishing heart"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008 07:33:34 PM »

lissaw70 - Sorry  Sad No offense was intended... there were a couple people that suggested fabric lining the shelves (I thought).  I've just cleaned some serious goup of the outsides and tops and insides of unprotected shelves.  I would hate to see some have to try to deal with it in their kitchen.  If the shelf was in the craft room... the fabric would be awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"rise and drink your bliss"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 7 Hair Myths
Top Hair Trends of 2013
How to Do a Braided Updo for Curly Hair
How to Get an Updo for Christmas
Backstage Hair at Monique Lhuillier Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...