A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Darth Baby Diaper Bag **with side bottle pocket tutorial below**  (Read 6434 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

afianto
« on: January 11, 2005 01:35:07 PM »

Thought I would open up a Diaper Bag thread in the hopes that everyone will show us their diaper-related creations.

I made this diaper bag on the weekend for some friends who are Star Wars fans.  After a 15 year hiatus from sewing I made a number of Jordy bags for presents this year (Maude bless Jordy), so then attempted the messenger bag (thank you too!) with some additions.  The bottle holder on the side was a real bitch.

Here's the outside of the bag, modelled by my lovely husband, designer of the Darth Baby patch:

The interior of the bag - slash pockets on the front outside of the bag and the interior, with a zipper pocket (with a smaller Darth Baby inside the pocket - sneaky!):

Bag with flap open showing monster toy I made mostly to demonstrate the little snappy things that could be used for keys, toys etc.:

And finally a close up of the Darth Baby patch:

Any more diaper bags out there?  I was thinking that it would be useful to have plastic on the inside, but I wasn't quite that ambitious this time.  I also wanted it to be a sturdier bag, but the woman at the fabric store talked me out of buying upholstry material as it's not machine washable.  I used the heaviest sew-in interfacing they had, but still too floppy for my liking.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010 11:27:14 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005 01:40:11 PM »

Wow that looks great!  I don't have a baby, but I'm still jealous.  You could try Pelltex interfacing which is quite stiff.  I used heavyweight canvas as an interfacing and it was quite sturdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buttonarcade
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005 01:49:42 PM »

I love it!  I like that it has just a *hint* of Darth.

Ky*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005 06:22:05 AM »

Wow!  I'd use it as a messemger bag!  Coolest diaper bag ever!  The patch is cute, yet menacing.

Could you please explain how you made the bottle compartment?  I've been wanting to make a smaller one in purses and totes for my cell phone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
afianto
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005 09:32:30 AM »

Thank you for your comments.  Canvas interfacing is a good idea, I'll try that next time, thanks.

OK, the bottle pocket.  It was such a schamozle that I'm sure there is an easier way, and I would appreciate anyone else's suggestions!  Here's what I did (I wish I had taken photos as I went along):

This step should occur before you sew the gussets together.
1. cut out a rectangle of fabric (main, interfacing, lining) that would fit over the side of a bottle (I made mine a little too tall I think), and cut out another piece of fabric (main, interfacing, lining) into a semicircle or variation on a "D" shape to the size of the bottom of the bottle.  I measured this by placing my rectangle of fabric down as though it was circling around the bottle and tracing the D shape from that.  They will be sewn together along that edge
2. attach the semicircle to the bottom of the rectangle, right sides together, for each of the main (with interfacing) and lining pieces
3. clip and turn out the main lining piece so it's right side out, leave the lining piece as is, and snuggle it into the main piece (so you should have a curved piece with the main right side out on the outside and the lining right side out, but inside it.  Snuggly!)
4. turn over top edge of the rectangle (both main and lining pieces) twice and sew along the edge to form a small hollow "tube" into which you will thread a narrow strip of elastic (you will have a nice clean edge folded over into the inside (lining) part)
5. thread in that elastic (I pinned one edge to the fabric and used a safety pin to guide the lead edge through the tube)
6. once it's all through, sew one edge of the elastic in place on one side, then stretch the elastic to as tight as you want it and sew the other end onto the other side
7. OK, you should now have something resembling a bottle pocket with raw edges along the sides and bottom.  This pocket is going to be sewn onto one of your side gussets - choose which one and ensure that the top of your bottle pocket is in the same direction as top of your bag when you sew the gussets to the main.  Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything
8. when you attach your side gusset to the bottom gusset insert the bottom of the bottle pocket between the two pieces.  Gusset pieces right sides together and bottle pocket so that it will be the inside (lining) piece against the right side of the side gusset
9. It might help to baste the sides of the pocket to the sides of the side gusset at this point. 
10. Then you attach the main sections of your bag to the gusset strip, as per the messenger bag instructions.  I found it difficult to sew along the corners because you have so much damn fabric in there at this point. 

I hope that was more useful than confusing, although I suspect not...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2005 11:45:50 AM by afianto » THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkfaeriedrowning
Existential Faerie

Punk Smocker-fy me, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005 09:38:56 AM »

That is such a funky bag, I can't believe you actually sewed that yourself, it's so pro! Unbelievable, great work (that is the cutest patch ever!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This heart within me I can feel, and I judge that it exists. This world I can touch, and I likewise judge that it exists. There ends all my knowledge, and the rest is construction // Albert Camus
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005 07:57:41 PM »

Wow!  Thanks for the bottle pocket tutorial, Afianto!  I know it takes a lot of time and energy to write out a tute.  I'll have to try this.  I'd prefer this kind of phone pocket to a zippered one.  Much easier access when that dang thing is a-ringin'.   

I love j. otto, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Miss. Cellaneous

"Still crazy after all these years"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005 06:43:27 AM »

Do you guys sell the Darth-baby patch anywhere? I'd love to make a Darth-baby bag for a friend who is preggers?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere . . . "   --Austen
afianto
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005 09:33:01 AM »

Yeah, J. Otto is so great.  If you haven't already, check out www.jotto.com .  I think it's one of the best sites out there. 

We don't sell the darth baby patches, no.  And dork that I am I didn't save the file that we created.  Essentially my husband just found a picture of a baby, found a picture of darth vader, put the vader head on the baby body, mucked around in photo shop so it looked drawn rather than like a photo.

I should learn to save things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005 06:39:56 PM »

A Darth baby!!! HOW CUTE!!!!!! You deserve an award for that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Perfect Burgers
Heavenly Hush Puppies Recipe
Homemade Grilled Pizza
How to Cook a Fire Island Inspired Meal
Nearly No Fat Fudge Brownies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...