A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beer Gloves!!! AAARRRRGHHH!!! Help!! Please!!  (Read 3175 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2008 11:52:30 AM »

Sound a bit desperate?  I am.  Ok, I'm knitting trying to knit the beer gloves from Son of Stitch n' Bitch.  I'm still on the first row because I've read ahead a bit and feel fairly confident in saying that I don't know what the hell is going on.

The main issue is that the pattern calls for you to use 2 circular needles instead of dpn's.  Well, I'll grow balls before I'm gonna spend $60 on 4 circular needles to make 1 pair of gloves.  So, I'm mentally adjusting all the numbers and stuff, but there's still an issue with one part of the pattern.  Basically, you do the ribbing and then work the cable pattern till the glove is x inches from beginning.  Well, then comes the thumb and it says this:

Thumb Opening

Next rnd: Work to last 7 sts of Needle 1, with wy p7, slip these 7 sts to LH needle and p7 with working yarn; work to end of rnd.

Continue working in patt as est until piece meas 7 1/2" from beginning.  Place all sts on holders.

Thumb

Carefully remove wy from thumb opening, placing lower 7 sts on Needle 1 and upper 8 sts on Needle 2.  Pm, PU 2 sts in gap between needles, p7, PU 2 sts in gap, p8--19 sts; 9 on Needle 1, 10 on Needle 2.

Next rnd: Needle 1, p6, p2tog, p1.  Needle 2, p7, p2tog, p1--17 sts.

Cont even in Rev St st for 1".

Next rnd: Needle 1, (k1, p1) 4 times.  Needle 2, (k1, p1) 3 5im3w, k1, p2tog--16 sts.

Next rnd: *K1, p1; rep from * around.

Using invisible BO method, BO.

So.  Uhhhh.  I don't know if I've just got some kind of mental block or what, but every time I even TRY to read that part, I feel like I'm morphing into Pauly Shore or something.  Someone.  Anyone.  HELP ME!!!  Does anyone have even a clue as to how to adapt the above to DPNs?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
AWynkoop
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 12:13:34 PM »

are you using a set of 4 dpn's or a set of 5?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 12:48:17 PM »

Currently, 5.  But, it could be 4, if necessary.  I prefer 4.  But, either way is doable.  As you can see, I'm very decisive. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008 01:23:12 PM »

Ok, so look through the pattern to determine how many stitches are on needle one and how many are on needle two at the point of the thumb opening placement.  Hopefully that won't entail ridiculous backtracking (I don't have that book)  Then you'll simply have to count the stitches out from the beginning of the round on your dpns. 

(ie. If there are 30 stitches on needle 1 and 30 stitches on needle 2, you would then work in pattern for 23 sts (30-7) and work the thumb opening with waste yarn at these next seven stitches.)

As for working the thumb later on, just ignore the "needle 1" and "needle 2" stuff and just use your dpns. (Put lower 7 stitches on one dpn and upper 8 stitches on another dpn.)  Then, after you pick up the extra stitches, you can re-distribute to 3 dpns to make it workable.. Then just follow the pattern in the round.

I think you'll be fine as long as you keep track of where your round starts.

Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 01:26:36 PM by atroxsilentium » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AWynkoop
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008 01:38:33 PM »

for dividing your stitches onto dpn's (5 is good in this case)
circ 1: divide these stitches evenly between dpn1 and dpn2
circ 2: divide these stitches evenly between dpn3 and dpn4 (I have not seen the pattern, but assume the cable is worked on circ 2- in this case I would not use 5 needles, I would use four and put all the stitches for circ 2 on dpn3.)

Next rnd: Work to last 7 sts of Needle 1, with wy p7, slip these 7 sts to LH needle and p7 with working yarn; work to end of rnd.

rewritten for dpns...Work to last 7 sts of dpn2, with waste yarn p7, slip these 7 sts to LH needle and p7 with working yarn. (This is basically holding the stitches that will become the thumb hole. You purl them with waste yarn to mark the spot, put them back on the lh needle and work them again so you can continue working the rest of the glove without breaking your yarn.)

When you remove the waste yarn you are left with a opening for the thumb.

I have no idea what '5im3w' means...can you tell me what the abbreviations stand for and I can help with the rest...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008 02:10:26 PM »

I have no idea what '5im3w' means...can you tell me what the abbreviations stand for and I can help with the rest...

Oops!  That means I'm a spaz and was typing with my fingers on the wrong keys.  That should say times, not 5im3w.  Heh. Grin

Thanks for the help!!  I'm gonna try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AWynkoop
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008 08:17:33 PM »

That should say times, not 5im3w.  Heh.

lol, that makes much more sense! Hope everything works out!

let me know if you need more help, I can't wait to see them finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008 08:23:32 PM »

No adaptation necessary - just think about what stitches you would be knitting if you were on 2 circs for a particular instruction. I would consider the start of round in your knitting to be the same as the start of circ 1 in the pattern (assuming that's the way the pattern does it) and place the join between another pair of DPNs. Alternatively you can place markers to show where 'circ 1' and 'circ 2' are.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fetchboi40639
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 11:26:14 AM »

I have a question about the Beer gloves.  I'm working on them right now and umm... The cable stitch pattern has rows 1-8, but then says repeat rows 1-12 for pattern.  I am assuming that I should repeat rounds 1-8, but I guess we'll see how that goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

63 Block CAL - Done
Quant-along - Done
Seija Set-along - Hat Finished, Blanket In Progress
eveneve
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008 06:09:11 PM »

I wrote out a chart of the pattern to help me remember where I was in the pattern. Just use a stitch counter to keep up where you are. I didn't use circular needles, I don't have any. I used double pointed needles.
Cast on 40 stitches place a marker before the first stitch you cast on, and a different colored marker after the 20th stitch.

[What it says in book]

Whale spine cable stitch:
Rnds 1 & 2: k12
rnds 3: slip first 3 stitches onto extra needle and hold to back, knit next 3 stitches, knit stitches on extra needle, slip next 3 stitches onto extra needle and hold to front, knit next 3 stitches and then knit the 3 stitches on the extra needle
Rnds 4-8: k12

(In book: cuff title): K2, p2 for 2 1/2" (2 1/2" = 15 rounds)

(In book: Body title):
Chart = whale spine cable stitch (in eights)-row number-palm chart (1-15)
1-16 [needle 1 (palm),*p2, pfb (purl front and back of one stitch), p2; repeat from * to end. needle 2 (back of hand), p2, pfb, p3, *k1, m1 (make 1= pick up bar between stitches and knit through back loop), k1; repeat from * 3 times more, p3, pfb, p2-(50sts:24 on needle 1, 26 on needle 2.]
2-17 [needle 1, purl. needle 2, p7, work row 2 of whale spine cable stitch over next 12 sts, p7.continue in rev st st(purling)and cable stitch as established until glove measures 5"(=30 rows)from beginning]
3-18
4-19
5-20
6-21
7-22
8-23
1-24
2-25
3-26
4-27
5-28
6-29
7-30 (5")
____
(In book: palm chart title)(The palm chart is in the book, I didn't know how to write that here and wasn't sure how much of the pattern I was allowed to post, but I left out the palm chart chart, the fingers and how to change it to the right hand)
8-31-1 [needle 1, p4, work row 1 of chart over next 11 sts, p9. needle 2, continue in pattern as established until glove measures 5 1/4"(=32 rows) from beginning]
1-32-2(5 1/4")
____
(In book: thumb opening)
2-33-3[work to last 7 stitches of needle 1, with an extra piece of yarn p7, slip these 7 stitches back onto the left needle and purl the 7 stitches again but this time with the yarn you are knitting the gloves with; work to end of rnd. continue working in pattern as established until piece measures 7 1/2"(= 45 rows) from beginning. place all stitches on holders]
3-34-4
4-35-5
5-36-6
6-37-7
7-38-8
8-39-9
1-40-10
2-41-11
3-42-12
4-43-13
5-44-14
6-45-15 (7 1/2", place stitches on holders)

Then you just work the fingers as the pattern says in the book.

I believe where it says "Rep rnds 1-12 for patt." is a misprint and is supposed to say repeat rounds 1-8 for pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Baggy Boyfriend Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - Wearing Plaids in Punk Fashion
Jeanius - Alexandra Cronan on Crop Tops
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on Denim Fashion
Kerry Washington’s Cover Photo Shoot for Vanity Fair’s August 2013 Issue
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...