A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If you had... (what type of doll to buy?)  (Read 1917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mom2blu
« on: January 23, 2008 09:45:01 AM »

wow two topics on different subjects in less then an hour, I must feel chatty.

If you had $200-250 dollars to spend on a doll, which would you get and why?  I want to get a nice oen that I can make clothes and things for. Would you get a puillip, abj (which one?), blythe, a different one? 

I think I might use my spending share of our tax refund to get one. I'll never have that amount of money at any given time otherwise.

So tell me which one I should get? I think they are all so neat. It coudl take me MONTHS to pick myself.

Also I need to get it shipped here in the states, so no asian only companies please.

And I want it to be something I dress and make a wardrobe for, not soemthing you make one outfit and are done. So some durable "play-ability" is important.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 01:55:59 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 01:53:20 PM »

Well now I'm a Blythe kinda girl...and quite frankly I think they are the most fun to dress and play with....most come with amazing outfits...and the range of colors of hair and makeup and skin tone...plus the fact that they have 4 different color of eyes (which are ridiculously easy to change to exactly what you want - lol I just ordered nearly 2 dozen eyechips for my brood).

Now I love Pullips too...don't have one, wouldn't mind having one (I adore Papin and Prunella - I love the fantasy hair colors) so I think they would be sweet too. The only reason I am hesitant to buy one (besides kicking off another addiction) is that I hear all they time about loose wigs and floppy bodies. That worries me when they cost about the same as a Blythe. But..there are boy Pullips - I don't think they are call Pullips though, they are so cute! I love the Edward Scissorshand boy!

I would hit the ThisIsBlythe.com forum and look at the pictures in the Blythe-o-pedia section...you can see what each model of girl looks like in their stock and what they look like in "regular" clothes. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I would bet that PullipStyle.com would have a similar thing with the Pullips. Which individual model is up to you, what style do you like? What color hair? Bangs? Pale or tan? Are you wanting to make her your own or will you probably keep her as is?

As far as international shipping, you can buy either through another owner on the boards or a few places in the states. I have packages from all over Asia arrive all the time, *knock on wood* I have never had a problem. I watch Bad Dolly Deals on LiveJournal to make sure I am dealing with someone reputable and always, always get insurance (even if it is coming from next door - amazing what can happen lol).

I hope you decide and I hope I helped, they really are tiny plastic muses. I have been more crafting productive since I started collecting Blythes (over a year ago now and I'm waiting on doll #38 and #39), not just for them, but in general. They make me want to hurry and finish things for me and my friends & family, so I can make things for them!!!

Craftster hugs!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 02:03:41 PM by Lylyfai » THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
tarteaucitron
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008 02:07:49 AM »

I agree with Lylyfai - i bought my first blythe about a year and a half ago and i havent stopped crafting for her since. There are lots of free patterns available on the internet to play with and they are a nice size to work with (no hips or large chest to fit around). It is definitely worth checking out this is blythe to see all the different ones available before you buy though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scaramouche

Whedonist in heart and soul!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 08:42:13 PM »

I really want a Pullip doll the punk one Cheesy
http://images.andale.com/f2/125/127/21705283/2007/6/8/pullip_rida_01.jpg
 http://pullipstyle.com/pullipstyle/images/blog_images/jan08/hangry.jpg

The other option for me is buying an american girl doll. I love them and I really want one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Android raptor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008 10:53:01 AM »

I'd just get more 1/6 Obitsus. I have three right now and am definitely addicted! I like them better than the larger ones, mainly 'cause they're cheaper and easier to find/make clothes for. And I tend to favor Obitsu over Volks because Volks have such loose joints! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iellwen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008 06:11:52 PM »

I love my 43 cm ABJD, and if you order from Dollzone, Bobobie or A.O.D., you can stay in your price range, even if you want a bigger kid.  Except the AOD, you'll have to go over there.  You can order from the company sites or dealers like junkyspot.com.

Try it, you'll like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherrybabies
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008 10:21:43 AM »

If you're willing to spend that much, I'd probably go with a BJD or a Blythe. Both are somewhat easier to make clothes for, and don't have the body issues that Pullips tend to have. That said, if you buy a Pullip you can always switch out her body with a Volks or Obitsu for an extra $20 and have money left over for a wig if her wig is crappy. A lot of first Pullip owners are disappointed when they get them because of the type 3 body being so cheap, squeaky, and sometimes breaking... especially for their price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008 11:38:53 AM »

Maybe I'm not as die hard of a doll fan, but I really enjoy the American girl dolls. I like their size (making tiny clothes for Blythes scares the crap out of me) and the range of hair, ethnicity, eye color and stuff is very nice. And if you've got the extra cash, they have all those nifty accessories like beds and stuff that I would have a hell of a time trying to make =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
Graciechan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008 06:48:41 AM »

I think I would get two, a pullip and a blythe. I'm obsessed with the Hello Harvest Blythe, and I've loved the pullips ever since I joined this community!!!*goes off to dream about upcoming birthday*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008 10:28:42 AM »

Pullips are the BEST, that being said i've never owned a blythe or bjd. My Pullip did have a squeaky floppy body. But that was easily swapped for a $20 obitsu. Its easy to make clothes for them even though they are small and they are about the same body size as Barbie, so you can buy jeans and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Shampoo
How to Do Your Hair Like Selena Gomez
How to Braid Extensions
How to French Braid Fringes
How to Do UpDo Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...