A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pls help w/clear casting resin....  (Read 824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elenadp
« on: January 22, 2008 05:52:17 PM »

Blast that Martha! She went and gave me this great idea for magnets/thumb tacks using pictures and bottle caps:

It calls for clear casting resin to fill the cap, but I've never used it before and it seems to be complicated and dangerous. Any tips for something easier to work with that'll give the same results?? THANK YOU!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochet hooker12
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008 08:47:47 PM »

DUDE. I saw that article and I was wondering the exact same thing! Any useful insight would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
chorto78
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 01:30:26 PM »

I don't know why but I am scared of the resin. I really want to try it, even went and held the bottle in my hands today but put it down because I am not sure how to use it. From the tutorials here, it seems like it should be easy but I am just hesitant.

Martha makes me buy too many crafting supplies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaxonsjazz
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008 03:44:01 PM »

make sure you mix in a well ventilated area - I usually do it in my basement using paper cups and plastic knives.  Wear surgical gloves!  One time when I got careless and didn't, I got it all over my fingers, and some on my face where I touched it.  I ended up with a horrible allergy that I had to take steroids for!  Just be careful, and wear a mask if you can.  It is really quite safe when you use common sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elenadp
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008 04:47:26 AM »

UPDATE: I did it last night (with tips from ammasmama, thank you!) and it went pretty well. She suggested I use "Envirotex Lite" from Michael's...I followed directions that came with the box and it went fine. The only bad thing that happened was that the magazine cutouts I used inside the bottlecaps ended up getting that "wet" damaged look from when the resin got it wet. I think I'll try it again and try sealing the cutout with Mod Podge to protect it before I pour the resin. Still, it all looks pretty cool!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Objects of Desire: S&M-Inspired Accessories
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: Front-Row Celebrity Style
Behind the Scenes at the Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2014 Show
Behind the Scenes at the Hervé Léger Spring 2014 Show
Get The Miley Cyrus Style
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...