A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New beanbag chair!  (Read 1985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chineseathena
« on: October 27, 2009 09:39:36 PM »

So thanks to an earlier post that directed me to the Threadbangers "Decor It Yourself" tute on how to make a beanbag, I have wanted to make one. The table I like to study at is *just* far enough away that it is a nuisance to sit on the bed and lean forward and high enough that it isn't practical to sit on the floor. The solution? Buy a cheap fleece blanket, cut it up, stuff it, and sit on it!

The Threadbangers tute, which involved making a lining and creating pieces that came together like the pieces of a baseball, asked for a little more motivation than I had; I just wanted a lump to sit on! So instead, I just cut the blanket into two circles and a rectangle to make more of a cylinder shaped beanbag. I stuffed it with styrofoam beads from a leaky old beanbag and a ton of fabric scraps. It's super comfy and just the right size, even if it is a bit plain.

Pics! (please excuse my messy floor)

I in my lack of experience chose to use white thread in a zigzag stitch, thinking that 1) the stitching wouldn't show and 2) I should allow the fabric to stretch some. You can see that the stitching is clearly visible, but you know what? I kind of like the effect, so I'll go with it. Hope you liked it, and thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 09:55:52 AM »

Awesome! I can imagine that would get super-warm after a while of sitting on it, though. Regular beanbags are warm enough! Love the cylinder idea, though, can double as an ottoman or pillow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
tojoyamoto
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010 09:39:29 PM »

I love it!  I foster kitties, and these would be wonderful little places for the babies to lay.  I'm sure they'd love them.  Thanks for the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Summer Made 9
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010 10:03:29 PM »

Great Job!!!

I have been thinking of making little beanbag chairs for my littles... just afraid my dogs (one still a pup at 8mo old) would tear them up, that would be a HUGE mess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chineseathena
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010 12:42:54 AM »

Thanks for your comments! For all of you, my one piece of advice would be to not use stretchy fleece. >.> After some good use, some of the stitching tore out from the stress. I just bought some old Lion King bedsheets that I'm planning on using instead...whenever I get around to it...

But yeah. Choose a somewhat sturdier fabric than stretch fleece. And having the lining is really a great idea if you want to actually be able to clean the beanbag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicegoing
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010 07:30:56 PM »

Awesome job! I was totally eying that tutorial the other day. I'm going off to college soon and I want a bean bag chair but they can get so expensive. But I think you've given me the inspiration to try this for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Flower Part 7/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 8/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Generic Baby Shoe Sole Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Flower Part 6/11
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...