A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First 'proper' spindle spun skein  (Read 1182 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftybernie
« on: January 22, 2008 02:18:36 PM »

Since I posted about my first spindle spun mini skeins a few weeks ago, I've been challenging myself to see how thin I could spin using the spindle.  (I'm actually running out of roving and want to make it last as long as possible, having spun singles that are so thick and bulky to begin with).

Here's the results using the 'Babe' spindle and the 'duck egg' blue merino wool roving.

It's 25g exactly and measures just under 80meters. Although it's two ply it looks more like a 4ply yarn. I must find a ruler and work out the wpi. 

How did I do it: I spun 4 singles, plied each single back on itself and then spit spliced the singles together to create one big skein of yarny goodness.  All it needs is a quick wash and rinse to set the twist.  Plus it's a little rough and this should help soften it a bit.

Whaddya think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Comtessa

I support Fel Reavers.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 08:02:53 AM »

Its a beautiful colour and look so professional. Totally jealous of your skill Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Comtessa Art: http://comtessa.deviantart.com/<br />I welcome personal swaps.<br />http://www.wists.com/Comtessakatya
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 08:19:08 PM »

Very nice! What are you going to make with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftybernie
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008 01:45:44 AM »

I'm not sure yet.  I'm spinning a similar amount in some lilac, burgundy and green, so I've been thinking about either an entrelac scarf, a bag or a sweater ... maybe! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barkingladybug
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008 11:25:17 AM »

that yarn looks great!  i have been trying to work with my drop spindle for about a year and i was starting to think that it was impossible to get such nice even yarn out of one.  very, very nice!  makes me want to get the old spindle out again and give it another try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftybernie
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008 03:59:26 PM »

You definitely should give it a try again!   Sometimes a 'time out' can help. 

I am slowly making contact with other spinners here on the Isle of Man and some of the ladies who have wheels said they couldn't get on with a spindle.  I told them I was self taught and they were even more amazed.  I guess it's horses for courses! Thank God for the internet, that's what I say.   

I use mainly commercially prepared wool that comes in long thin batts.  I've tried drafting the wool in different ways and it's amazing how different the final handspun looks by changing the way you use or prepare the wool (I'm sure there's loads of tech. terms for this so excuse my 'noobi-ness'):

1) using a long strip torn from the main batt and just spinning directly from it without pre-drafting it is how I started and I use the park & draft method with this. The yarn produced is fairly even in texture & twist.  But it's very slow;

2) as above but pre-drafting and teasing the wool slightly before spinning makes it easier to just spin-spin-spin. But I find the wool isn't as strong and I end up with a thin yarn with lots of 'fragile' sections;

3) spinning lengths of wool (6 to 12" long), folded over my index finger gives me a thin and very strong yarn.  I'm not sure if this is what's called 'spinning in the fold' but the wool is literally spun from my finger in a kind of 'V' shape, if that makes sense...

When it comes to knitting with handspun, I don't know how the wool will behave.  I can't bring myself to actually knit with the wool yet as it's just so darn pretty to look at!!!  One of these days though I'll get past the marvel of it all and actually USE my handspun!

I hope you give it another try and remember, just enjoy it.  Do share your progress with us. xx
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008 04:00:35 PM by craftybernie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Steps to Getting a Kylie Jenner Halloween Costume
VF COLLECTIONS: Martin Grant Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
VF NEWS: Martin Grant Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
4 Ways to Wear Distressed Jeans
How to Pull Off Wearing a Turtleneck Like Kim Kardashian
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...