A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make a Barbie size straw hat - link to tutorial  (Read 2703 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

biscuitbear
« on: January 22, 2008 12:24:20 PM »

Here's the hat :

The only thing you need to buy to make this is a bundle of hat straw. In the US you can order from The PNB Doll Company ($9 for a 10 yard bundle, 1/4" wide), in Europe from Gildebrief (19,90 for a 10 meter bundle, 4,5 mm wide). The rest of the materials can be found in your home.

The particularity of this straw braid is that on each side, there is a string which you can pull in order to make the braid fit any curve.

Find a box or other cylindrical object with the desired diameter for your finished hat. Cut a circle in card stock of the same size, put it on top of the box, cover with plastic wrap and hold the film in place with an elastic. Glue a PET bottle cap of the same size as your doll's head in the center of the plastic wrap.

You can adapt this method to bigger dolls by using various kinds of plastic caps.

Cut a strip of double-sided tape, about 1/4 to 1/3" wide, and press it all around the outer edge of the film-covered card stock, so that it lays flat in a circle on the top of the box.

With a needle, pick up the string on the side of the straw braid which will be facing inside, and pull on it in order to make the braid fit the curve. Then press the first row of straw on top of the tape.

Next, pour white tacky glue into the corner of a small Ziploc bag, tie the corner tightly with a piece of string or wire, and cut a very tiny hole at the tip of the corner, so that you can press out a very small bead of glue while holding the corner of the bag with your fingers. Deposit a small amount of glue all around the inner edge of the first row.

Press the second row of braid over the first one, in a concentric circle, so that it overlaps about half the width of the braid. Continue in this way until you've reached the top of the cap. Don't forget to pull on the inner string when needed in order to make the braid fit the curves. As the circles become smaller and smaller you will need to pull more often on the string.

Each time you've securely glued in place a section of braid with the string pulled out, you can cut the string close to the edge of the braid just before glueing the next row over it.

When you reach the junction with the bottle cap, press the edge with your fingernails to make the braid follow the shape of your hat "mold".

To finish, when you only have a small hole left open at the very top, simply cut the braid, fold it over itself and glue it in the center.

Let dry overnight and remove from the mold. If you wish to decorate the brim, pick up one of the thick strands of straw in the braid, and pull on it. The braid will "gather" itself and look like ricrac.

Glue the straw ricrac all around the brim edge.

if you wish to shape the hat, place it on top of the PET bottle whose cap you used, with the cap on the bottle, secure it in the desired shape by taping a piece of string to the sides of the bottle, and steam the hat by holding it above a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Let dry.

Trim the hat according to your tastes. I wanted to keep this one relatively simple so for the inside I just glued ribbon trim all around the inner edge of the brim. I glued ribbon around the crown and hid the junction with a small ribbon bow. I added a bigger ribbon bow on the side. If you like you can also add ribbon ties glued either to the inside or the outside of the hat, tying either in front or in back.

For more photos, the tutorial is in my blog under "patterns and tutorials".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013 09:39:13 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s). » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafts blog:
Biscuit's House
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008 02:16:32 PM »

Awesome hat. I looked at the other photos on your blog. Very pretty. Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

T4124
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008 02:26:45 PM »

Beautifully made.  I especially love the colors, and those two hats in the background!

Your blog is very cute too.

(edit:
After spending all yesterday evening immersed in reading your blog further, I can safely say it's not cute, it's a work of art!  Thank you so much for posting all those pictures of your wonderful projects and of magazines from all over.  It's really been an eye opener for me, and looking through it all was like visiting a little magic world.

Your style is very different from my normal rounded edged cuteness.  I'm really inspired to try crafting things differently.  Thank you!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 06:14:08 AM by T4124 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AGFH
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008 02:28:17 PM »

This is really impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
biscuitbear
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008 11:28:13 AM »

Aw, shucks, thanks for the kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafts blog:
Biscuit's House
ChellyWood

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014 10:13:09 PM »

Last summer I tried to make a similar straw-wrapped basket for my Barbies. It was an epic fail. Ugh! The glue was lumpy and dripping all over the place.

How do you keep the glue from getting out of hand?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Parallax Distortion
How to Create Quality Light
How to Create Post Processing Lighting Effects
How to Create an Unbroken Horizon Part 2/2
How to Create an Unbroken Horizon Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...