A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh my! Please help me figure out how to make this adorable dress!  (Read 1089 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laneybug
« on: January 22, 2008 12:22:36 PM »

I've been browsing around, and I found this beautiful linen dress by J. Crew. Click on the picture to get all the different angles..... http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod84066381&catId=cat180106

I would really, really love to make a dress like this to wear to my wedding! J. Crew also makes a Talitha patchwork dress, which is just stunning (and sold out already!) but I just adore this style. Anybody know how I could do something like this? Maybe someone has the skills to draw up a simple little pattern? I'd owe you forever!!

Thanks for looking.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008 01:33:41 PM »

The pattern that initially came to mind was this one: McCall 5377 - basically all you would need to do is lengthen the skirt and change the straps to criss-cross to get a very similar look.  But, looking at Jcrew dress a little more closely, it does have a bust dart, which would definitely make the dress more flattering in the bust. This one: M5313 is very similar to the first, but with a bust dart for shaping.  So basically you could use this pattern, alter the straps to make them criss cross, lengthen the skirt, and add the ruffle at the bottom.

This would be a pretty easy dress to make, especially in linen or cotton!  I would be a bit concerned that the fullness at the empire waistline might be unflattering -- but that's just me, this style seems to be very "in" right now.  Especially if you are slim, it would probably be very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
laneybug
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008 02:44:38 PM »

Thank you!! I'm going to look at both those patterns right now. My fiance said the fullness of the dress makes it look like a "pregnant dress."  Cheesy But, they do seem to be "in".... which isn't really my goal, I just think it's cute. Anyway... if I do try my hand at making something like it, I think I'll tame down the fullness of it. I'm a slim girl, but I don't want to look like I'm drowning in fabric, either!  Grin

Thanks again for your advice, and the quickness (is that a word??  Cheesy) of your response. Oh, and thanks for the pattern references.  Grin I'll definitely share on Craftster if my attempts are successful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008 06:42:16 AM »

Ok, the more I look at the dress, the more I like it.  I think the patterns I suggested might have less fullness than the J Crew dress, so that might help a little with the "maternity" look.  The fullness would also be less poofy in a silky/drapey fabric like silk or polyester charmeuse - that would also give the dress a totally different look.  Definitely worth doing a mock up.  Have you thought of fabric choice yet?  If you're thinking of something in the cotton/linen range, Farmhouse Fabrics has a ton, ranging from very affordable to very fancy.  I would recommend something like a handkerchief or shirt weight linen or a light weight cotton like batiste or lawn.  You will probably want to line and/or underline the dress for opacity.  Good luck, and definitely let us know how it turns out!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
laneybug
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008 05:31:57 PM »

Yeah, I was the same way! Like I said, I happened on it by chance, and the more I looked at it, the more I really liked it. As for fabric choice, I really like the idea of going with some sort of cotton, a sheer cotton. And, yeah, definitely line it. So, I've decided to take a stab at it.... and I'll post it, I swear!  Cheesy

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions!! You've really helped give me the confidence to give it a try.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Hourglass Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Apple Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Full Bust
Style Tips to Transition Into Fall
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...