A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess crown for mom's 60th birthday! [Image heavy]  (Read 1334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2008 11:08:15 PM »

I made this crown for my mom's 60th birthday, which was actually last month. I had intended to post it then (cause I'm so darned proud of it), but the holidays and whatnot got in the way. So here it is... a crown for my mom. Cause she's a princess!

Here's the front:

(note "+ sexy!" embroidered in the bottom right hand corner)

I made it using heavy-duty double-sided fusible webbing and I appliqud a variety of stuff on it. On the left side, you can see the champagne bottle, plus a little charm that says "Happiness" on the back. I hope that's also what it says on the front. :/

On the right side, there's dice and a little good luck charm. Because I hope she's got plenty of luck this year. When I gave it to her, I inadvertently said, "I hope you get lucky this year." I didn't mean it that way. There was much eyebrow raising and elbow nudging.

Once I had the crown all laid out flat, I realized I hadn't thought it through how I was going to make it round. So I came up with a goofy idea that ended up making a really nice finish. I cut a piece of plastic into a square, finished it off with fabric, added grommets and laced up the back. This sounds weird, so I'll show you pics. Here's the inside (where the plastic square is):

The piece of plastic was stiff enough to turn it from a tear-drop shape into a circle shape, which is what I wanted. You know, cause crowns are usually round?

And, since I wanted to turn it into a "feature" (rather than a bug), I laced it up all pretty on the outside:

(Note the hearts... cause I love my mom. Aw.)

Even though I call it a "crown," it's more like a tiara -- it sits on top of her head. My mom has short hair, so I incorporated loops inside to put bobby pins through (there's a loop on either side, for a total of four bobby pins):

I was kind of nervous about giving this to her, but she really loved it. The best part was when my grandma said, "Why does it say 60 on the front?" I think everyone's in denial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
MelancholyMiss
"impure as the driven yellow snow!" - Spike

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008 11:32:22 PM »

That is such a cool idea, and it looks great!!!

The best part was when my grandma said, "Why does it say 60 on the front?" I think everyone's in denial.
That is so funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CupcakeChelsea

Personal Swap Friendly! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008 03:13:54 AM »

Aww that is so cute! Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Today I woke up feeling lovely, happiness overflowin' knowin' somebody loves me."

Hi I'm Chelsea, I'd love to meet you!
sulkycat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008 10:20:56 AM »

i think this is lovely!

i love my mum too, on her 60th we (my sis, my daughter & myself)bought her a big twinkly wand, & took her on a swan peddle boat on a lake, at scarborough (the seaside we always went to when we were children, my very favourite place & my mums)

mums are very special & totally deserve special tiara-crown-hats of splendidness!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

katchoo1
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008 12:19:24 PM »

This is fantastic, I love it!  You made it with a lot of love and good feeling and it definitely shows.  Don't suppose you have any action shots?  I'd love to see how it looked being worn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008 12:42:44 PM »

mums are very special & totally deserve special tiara-crown-hats of splendidness!

Absolutely! Smiley

Don't suppose you have any action shots?  I'd love to see how it looked being worn...

Unfortunately, no. I didn't put it on myself and my mom hasn't able to get a good shot of herself wearing it. Plus... I'm not sure how keen she'd be on me posting it all over the internet: "Hey! This lady is 60!" (She doesn't look it at all.)

Perhaps next time I'm visiting her, I'll be able to get an action shot. If I do, I'll be sure to post it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
La La Anthony on Summer Beauty Trends
Get Bold, Bright Makeup Tips For Your Eye Color
Top Face Highlighters For Every Skin Tone
Brooke Shields Gets Personal
Beauty Made Easy: Applying Fake Lashes
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...