A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hangers...wire or plastic  (Read 1536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

savesal
« on: January 21, 2008 09:45:00 PM »

I've just received many hangers (a friend made over her closet...) and before I donate what i can't use... I was wondering if there was anything crafty i can do with them. I have both wire and plastic.

I'm a bit new to this site so just let me know if i missed this posted somewhere. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAmadurk
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008 07:00:20 PM »

Make clothes-pin bags? (Like your Gramma used to stick her clothes pins in on the outside lines.) Only make them in funky sizes/colors to store stuff in, say in your closet or the sewing room or the laundry room a or anywhere you need extra storage. 

I like to keep a few wire ones around for general "fixing" projects--you know: locked my keys in the car , need a hanger.  Sink drain is clogged, need something long and skinny to stick down there to get the flow going again: hanger to the rescue. OMGoodness! one side of my bumper is trying to fall off! Wire it up with a hanger.

You could use wire ones for wreath bases...or for bases for any number of other items. 
Plastic ones are harder to re-use in my opinion.  Do you melt stuff? there are people around who like to melt plastics into new things, like bowls.  Does that work for you?

MAmadurk

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't consider myself a book collector.  I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe.   -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books.  -Thomas Jefferson
savesal
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 09:54:19 PM »

Thanks mamadurk! The clothes-pin bags sound cute. I can always use more storage. And I found a few sites online explaining how to make them and they definitely seem easy enough for the beginning sewer Wink

http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/clothespinbag.htm
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/peg-bag.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohwow
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008 02:20:09 PM »

How about a mobile?  I have done this with students in my high school science classes, but you could probably make a really incredible one with all sorts of paper cut outs attached.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessings~
elizablessed
savesal
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008 06:34:41 PM »

a mobile is actually one of the first things i thought of...i just don't know what type of mobile to make, or who would actually want to hang a homemade mobile in their home if it wasn't made by their child Wink I was thinking of making something princess like for my niece's room...or maybe a christmas/holiday decoration mobile...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarn_tart

Dark Lords don't Frolic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008 01:58:25 PM »

If you have a lot of wire hangers, straighten them out and clip off the ends.  Put them in a bundle, and wrap one wire up from about 4 in from the bottom to about 8 in from the top.  Then splay the wires on the top and bottom.  Staple the bottom to a base.  Spray paint the whole thing black.  Now you have a spooky tree!  Add decoration.

I have a picture of it somewhere around here...

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/swiss_aprilly/th_treeabove-1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd like to change the world because it's easier than changing me. - Carbon Leaf

April in Autumn - yarn_tart's etsy shop is coming soon!

My wists
savesal
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008 12:58:05 PM »

Great idea! I wonder if I could work something like that into a jewelry holder (for costume jewelry). Thanks Yarn tart
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brimac61891
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008 08:14:21 PM »

my grandmother would take wire hangers and make some type of thing with red white and blue yarn and string them on the wire somehow and make 4th of july wreathes.. she used to make tons of crafts and sell them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becauseimtrendy
Because I'm Trendy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008 01:13:43 PM »

try making an art-mobile- not the paper kind- bend the wire into a circle and either make wire shapes to dangle or string on glass or beads or other small items.
You can also make wire sculptures or use the wire as part of a frame for a paper-mache craft.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008 01:17:33 PM by becauseimtrendy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not so bad bein' trendy...
ssflbelle
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008 12:31:20 PM »

An earlier poster asked about plastic bags and I suggested using the plastic hangers to  make decorative hanger covers out of the plastic bags and ribbon.  I don't know how to refer you back to that thread. But if your interested in this project let me know and I will search for that thread for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Eggnog Pound Cake
Warm Cinnamon Apples Recipe
Cheesecake Factory Original Cheesecake Recipe
How to Make Raspberry-White Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...