A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: decoupage question  (Read 769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bigfatroses
« on: January 21, 2008 04:53:00 PM »

I'm working on wall letters for our house, and decoupaging scrapbooking paper on them so I don't have to bust out the paints.  And the project itself is going well, but I don't like the decoupage I'm using.  I have Aleene's Gloss Decoupage, and it just seems to be leaving horrible streaks.

Since this is only the second time I use this brand of decoupage (with the same streaky results), I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just me that is messing it all up?

I'm using a foam brush, putting it on in thin, even layers, and letting each layer dry for 24 hours.

Help anyone!  The letters are cute, streaks and all, but I would like to perfect this so I can make more of these wall letters for friends and family.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008 04:53:52 PM by bigfatroses » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
PrincessJasmine
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 12:11:47 PM »

I am seeing the same thing using a foam brush with Mod Podge (Gloss).  I like the way it looks though, my project turned out so perfect.  I wasn't expecting the streaking though.  Perhaps it is the brush or the amount that you are putting on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myyrh
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009 06:58:32 AM »

Hey! I've come onto a fairly beat up side table that I'd like to decoupage with pictures of all the shows I've been in for the past 6 years. Its a little graduation present to myself, and I have a few questions!

Foremost, to choose pictures, should I have them printed (like at Wal-Mart), or should I print them on my computer? I'd rather have them printed, since my printer's a little "special", but I don't know if they'd stick with the glossy surface.

Do I need to do anything to the wood before I start, such as sanding?

And, should I use Modge Podge, or something else? I see it seems to be a popular choice.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of many males to my place of residence and/ or employment, and they declare that its quality far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it far surpasses yours. I could convey to you the recipe, but i would have to demand compensation.
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009 12:51:30 PM »

I wouldnt say you would have to sand the piece you are going to be decopauging on.
I have printed out my own images from the computer, but the dark ink seems to run, depend on amount of brush strokes, and amount of Mod used.  But I have no experience with actual photos printed from WalMart or somewhere like that.  (type of paper)  Just know that if the pictures even look professional, they wont let you have them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
tomico
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009 08:26:26 PM »

I have not tried using this technique yet but you could try to use the printable fabric. It may reduce the running. Don't really know since I haven't done this yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Stroke to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Shadow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add Footage to a Composition in After Effects CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...