A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: would like to learn  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lauramelia
« on: January 21, 2008 03:22:52 PM »

Hello everyone! I know all of you are wonderful knitters and I would like to take up the hobby myself...i just have no clue about needles and sizes and how many i need etc. If any of you could just point me in the right direction about what to buy, i'd be very grateful! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008 07:02:10 PM »

First, start out with something easy - scarves are easiest and though can be boring if done over and over again, they are about the best thing to start out with since then are not shaped!

Second, I would get an easy yarn to work with - don't get the boucle kind or fancy fur or stuff like that - hard to see your stitches with those. Get some basic yarn - I've heard good things about Caron Simply Soft - not expensive and a nice feel to it. And it is a good size to work with - not too big and not too small. As an experienced knitter, I imagine (though I could be wrong) that a really big yarn would be harder to start with as it requires really big needles and I personally slow way way down when using really big yarn and needles!

As for needles, a size 8 is a good starter size, in my opinion - not too big and not too small. And a good match for the Caron Simply Soft. Personally I prefer the circular needles as they are (for me) easier to hold, don't poke people - and, importantly for me - don't come loose and fall down on the bus floor and roll all the way down to the back *sigh*. But they are more spendy.

As for learning the actual knitting, I have heard very good things about Knitty Gritty and also about this site:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/
I can't watch the videos from either one since I post from work and they block that type of file, but others on Craftster really swear by them for all techniques.

I hope this helps! And WELCOME to the Wonderful World of Knitting!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skellerz
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008 07:39:41 PM »

I second the size 8 remark.
Caron Simply Soft is a good option, but the sheen can be kind of strange on certain colors and it tends to split.
I, personally, would recommend a cotton yarn (Sugar'n Cream or Peaches'n Cream).
It generally runs from $1.25-1.70 a ball, and it shows your stitches VERY well.
Plus, dishcloths and stuff are useful around the house and are MUCH less of a time commitment than a scarf, especially on size 8 needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008 08:03:59 PM »

I second the size 8 remark.
Caron Simply Soft is a good option, but the sheen can be kind of strange on certain colors and it tends to split.
I, personally, would recommend a cotton yarn (Sugar'n Cream or Peaches'n Cream).
It generally runs from $1.25-1.70 a ball, and it shows your stitches VERY well.
Plus, dishcloths and stuff are useful around the house and are MUCH less of a time commitment than a scarf, especially on size 8 needles.
Good points - i hadn't thought of the cotton - and truthfully I prefer the dishcloth option myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Lou Lou
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008 08:22:47 PM »

I definately second checking out knittinghelp.com and I would also suggest getting Stitch'n'bitch...it is what I used to teach myself. As for your first project...A scarf is deffinately good but you might find that you lose interest because it can take a long time to finish (especially if it is the first thing you knit). Dish clothes are great or I'd suggest making a ipod or mobile phone cover as it is quick to knit and you can keep it simple or add some different coloured stripes so you'll be learning and practicing a few techniques. Best thing is to just have a go and don't spend heaps of money on wool or needles straight away...Keep it simple and you'll be whipping up jumpers in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 10:54:13 PM »

Yes KH is great - I would start off a beginner on 5.5-6mm needles myself, with a wool appropriate for that size needle (the label on the wool should specify what needle size is recommended). Mostly natural fibre, preferably wool, and of decent quality (using awful crap cheap stuff will not encourage you to keep going, but neither do I recommend that you start knitting the most expensive luxurious cashmere). A scarf is fine, but I encourage you to start branching out. When you get sick of knitting every stitch, switch to purling every stitch: when you are confident you can do both, try ribbing and then moss stitch. If you hate it halfway through, feel free to abandon it indefinitely., Many of the new knitters I know have felt a huge burden off their shoulders when the first thing they knit is just a piece of fabric rather feeling pressure to finish a scarf or whatever they are told they are knitting first.
Feel free to biff or put on hold the first project at any stage - yes even after 20-30 rows if you feel confident enough - to start something new, I would totally recommend a hat in the round: roll-brim or ribbed. You can do it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008 12:50:11 AM »

Same about the 5mm needles. Although I started off on straights, if I were to teach someone to knit, I'd start them off on circulars, as well as the 'picking' or continental method. I think it's the easier method to learn than 'english' (which I learnt) and its less painful on the wrists.

I started on a scarf, but got bored pretty quickly and moved on to clothes and such. I think the dishcloths are a good project to start on, especially since you can vary the stitches, get cool patterns online and be off in a hurry.

Your first attempt at knitting - it won't be the greatest, the stitches will look crooked - but don't freak out over it. You'll get better quickly.

My first knitting yarn was wool - I'd advise wool because it's less painful on the hands (unlike say, certain types of cotton). So, a wool/acrylic or cotton acrylic will be good. I've worked with acrylic, and I guess the UK must have the sucky ones (unlike you yanks), because I found working with acrylic to be awful. It stuck to my needles and made my hands sweat.

I can recommend stitch and bitch by debbie stoeller, and I've heard good things about knitting for dummies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008 09:35:08 AM »

I really think size 8/5mm are too small and would recommend size 10/6mm, even with worsted. Yes, the stitches may be a little loose, but they're even easier to see than on 8s. Choose a smooth yarn, lighter colored or variegated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Basic Replicators - Motion 3
How to Understand Text Behavior - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Apple Color
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
How to Remove Tracking Markers - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...