A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SASKATOON  (Read 12230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004 06:42:54 AM »

Harmless, welcome to Craftster!
Coolbeans, welcome to Saskatoon!

I think that they have knitting classes at that wool shop on 8th street.   I would teach you but I just started and can't even cast off yet. Do you sell any of your other stuff anywhere? The clocks would be neat.

Coolbeans, how do you like Saskatoon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004 07:09:34 AM »

Hello Elwood,

Well, I'm beginning to like it alot more.  When I first got here I didn't know anyone but we've been here for almost 3 months and found out that some people we know have moved here from Lethbridge and I'm met some people here from Saskatoon.

I was beginning to give up on this thread. I was guessing that the knitting group was a no go.  But I will have to check out classes where I can learn to knit.  But you know it would be better learn for free.  I did know a lady who knew how to knit but she moved on Wednesday to go back to Utah.  But I guess I will have to ask around.  All I know how to do is cast on and the knit stitch, so far.  I'm teaching myself so I don't know if I'm doing it right but whatever.

Anywho, this is a long message but now that I know that some craftsters are alive on this thread I can ask my questions about where to get some great crafting supplies and where the best thrift stores are. Have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004 07:57:27 AM »

Okay, so I have a question now.  Cheesy Hee hee.  Is there a place that sells just ready-to-finish wood products?  I'm looking for wooden candle holders.  Short, fat ones.  I looked around in Michaels but they just had a straight, tall one and a fat, tall one.  I wish I had a picture.  But are there any other craft stores other than Michaels?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004 08:30:27 AM »

I know Walmart sells some wooden stuff.  The only other craft store would be Lewiscrat in the Midtown and Market Malls. (they aren't too hot though).  We used to have a Crafts Canada but that bit the dust after Michaels move in.  Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
I think I have a mental picture so I'll keep my eye out for such candle holders!

Oh I just thought of something! This weekend is the Artisans craft market ant the Field House by the University. They might have some unfinished product or you might find someone who will make them for you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004 08:38:48 AM by Elwood » THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004 10:53:32 AM »

Thanks, sorry it took so long to respond.  That weekend we went to visit the in-laws so I didn't get a chance to check out the craft market.  Did you go? And I've been busy packing because we are moving this weekend to the other side of the city.  Grrr, I hate moving.

I did look at Walmart but their section didn't have too much.  Haven't tried Lewiscraft yet. Well, I'll have to keep my eye out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004 07:55:20 PM »

I didn't go. I went home to visit my parents.  My cousin went and she said it was so-so.  I hate moving too.  So are you coming or going to the east/west side.  I'm a west sider (not the getto though).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004 11:01:31 AM »

We moved to the Eastside in Sutherland Area.  We just moved from the westside, I guess a few blocks from the ghetto near the golf course on Avenue M. Two days after we moved on the news a man was found beaten to death a few blocks away from where we lived.  Creepy. Shocked

Anyways, so where are the best fabric stores?  I have a membership at Fanny's, don't have one for Fabricland though.  But in Lethbridge there was this fabric store and they had some great discount prices and a lot to choose from, are there any stores like that around here? Where do you like to shop?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004 08:18:20 AM »

The fabricland in Confederation is a discount fabric store but my best deals come from the west side Wal-Mart.  There selection is way better than the east side and they don't put those stupid dye tags on.

The dead guy thing is creepy! I used to live in Sutherland when I went to university. It's a nice little area.  What other crafts do you like to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004 02:57:00 AM »

Hey everyone!
I am not from Saskatoon, but the whole rest of my family is, so I have spent some time there-and thought I'd weigh in on favorite stores.

If money is no object (heh) there's a fabric store on 1st ave (across from the mall) called unique textiles-I usually go there to get silks and stuff like that-the chere stuff (though I have been able to get really nice on sale there for like 3 dollers a meter on occasion)
There's one that sells upholstery fabrics on 20th I think...
There are also two stores down on quebec-they are in two strip malls right next to each other-prairie lily, which sells yarn and fiber stuff and homespun, which is a quilt store.
Speaking of quilt stores, there's also Periwinkle, which is on 8th somewhere (they moved recently I think so I'm not sure where they are) and one on main just off broadway, but I seem to rembember that it was more 'country', which I'm not that crazy about.

My fave art store is colours on second just off 25th. It is usually cheaper than art placement for basic stuff-art placement has lots of good stuff though.

If you're still looking for wooden stuff-there's a big greenhouse in Saskatoon somewhere that sells that kind of thing-or did anyway. Dutch Growers I think it's called. I remember it being too expensive for me. (why can't I be independantly wealthy?)

Okay that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Do any of you know of a good needle work store in Saskatoon? That has driven me crazy since the one on broadway closed down a few years ago.  Angry

That statement a way back there about 20th street made me laugh...my mom is like that about 20th too. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004 03:02:00 AM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004 06:57:39 AM »

I don't know much about needlework stores.  I forgot about Dutch Growers, like you I am not independantly wealthy...even dependantly wealthy would work for me...
Century Textiles is a good store for fabric and closures, they have every sort of snap and buckle you need! and some that you don't but you buy anyway.  I guess there is a "new" vintage hardware store on 20th.  I have heard from numerous ladies that the guy that works there is quite ummm...hot.  Oh and they have a ton of neat stuff. I'll have top go check out the stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Difference Between Setting the Stage and Telling a Story
How to Use a 50 mm Lens
How to Understand color Theory
How to Develop a Rapport with the Subject
How to Understand Different Camera Variations
Latest Blog Articles
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...