A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SASKATOON  (Read 13166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

headcoatgirl
« on: September 11, 2003 11:52:02 AM »

My #1 favorite and cheap place to get craft supplies in Saskatoon is the Mennonite Clothes Closet on 20th St.  They have awsome stuff for so cheap.  I knitted a hat from a bag of wool I purchased for 30 cents.

My #2 favorite place to get craft supplies in Saskatoon is Micheal's.  They have sooo much stuff.  I could totally get lost in there.  Sometimes in can be a bit expensive . . . ohhh well . . .they have everything you would ever need.

Other places to go would be Lewis Craft, Home Depot, Value Village,  Art Placement (what a nice art store), Colours, Mayfair Hardware . . . .ect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andrea
feelingleftout
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003 05:45:16 PM »

Hey I live in Saskatoon as well. I just moved in August for school and I haven't really done too much adventuring yet. I haven't been to Michael's since the first week I moved, which is quite a shock!

Where is Lewis Craft, and Art Placement? I've never really though to look at Value Village for craft stuff. I typically never know what I want to make. Although it would be a great place to look for pillowcases since there's a lot you can do with that fabric.

Thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
headcoatgirl
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003 09:30:16 PM »

Art placement is in the alley beteen 3rd and 4th ave downtown.  It's right by the avenue building.  It's a nice art supply store.  Lewis Craft is a chain . . .i think there is one at the Midtown Plaza, maybe Lawson Heights Mall, and maybe Market Mall.

I'm trying to put together a Stitch 'N Bitch.  Last week was our first go at it. If you knit or would like to learn how to knit you should come hang out.  We plan to meet on Sundays around 7pm at Lydia's (broadway & 11th st).  We'll be the cool people with the yarn and needles. The location might change.  Just bring some yarn and needles and if you want  . . . anyone who likes to knit or who would like to learn how.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andrea
brodyarms

oink oink pig face!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003 06:15:23 PM »

20TH STREET!  OMG! Shocked  My friend got stabbed and got her money stolen there!  (well it was 4 in the morning Roll Eyes) but I still refuse to go there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppiko beans
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004 10:24:55 PM »

headcoatgirl: How is the stitch & bitch working out? Are you still meeting, cause I'd like to come. How many people do you have? I was thinking about starting one because I didn't know there already was one, so this is fantastic. Let me know; email me at rockstarkate @ yahoo . com or post here. Wheee!! I'm so excited!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004 02:34:21 PM »

Hello Saskatoon people! I heard that the closet on 20th has closed.  I also heard that the Salvation Army behind Confed. Superstore was good...or are my hopes being falsey risen...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killing_christa
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004 10:51:36 AM »

The confed salvation is alright- not as glorious as Value village but they dont have as inflated prices either. Anyone else notice that Value Village prices are on the rise?

You made me laugh- the post about not going on 20th street. My bfs father owns a pawn shop on 20th..its not that bad. Just dont go at 4 in the morning but then again you really shouldnt be anywhere at 4 in the morning with money and stuff.

but really 20th isnt that bad, I walk down it with my 6 month old daughter and were fine. Then again I just moved here from Calgary a yr ago.Hope this makes you feel a little braver about going down there... cuz the closet is a great thrift store Smiley

Christa
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 10:52:17 AM by killing_christa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004 08:58:53 AM »

OK I just hit the Value Village on Monday and ya the prices are on the rise.  My cousin goes to one on 1st or 2nd ave.  I'm not sure what it is called..She says its hit and miss but when there is a hit it's a gooder.  Did anyone hit the Montgomery sales?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004 10:51:17 AM »

Hello, I'm moving to Saskatoon in September cause my hubby got into the U of S.  I would love to learn to knit. Are you still doing Sn'B?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harmless
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004 12:42:39 AM »

Wow, Saskatooners on the web! I too would like to hear more about the knitting group -- i'd like to learn but don't know anyone who can teach me.
I do other things though, like making clocks, screenprinting tshirts, and buttons (badges) ..
Saskatoon people, wake up! we need a craft gathering of some sort that doesn't include gluing twigs into toilet paper holders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004 06:42:54 AM »

Harmless, welcome to Craftster!
Coolbeans, welcome to Saskatoon!

I think that they have knitting classes at that wool shop on 8th street.   I would teach you but I just started and can't even cast off yet. Do you sell any of your other stuff anywhere? The clocks would be neat.

Coolbeans, how do you like Saskatoon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004 07:09:34 AM »

Hello Elwood,

Well, I'm beginning to like it alot more.  When I first got here I didn't know anyone but we've been here for almost 3 months and found out that some people we know have moved here from Lethbridge and I'm met some people here from Saskatoon.

I was beginning to give up on this thread. I was guessing that the knitting group was a no go.  But I will have to check out classes where I can learn to knit.  But you know it would be better learn for free.  I did know a lady who knew how to knit but she moved on Wednesday to go back to Utah.  But I guess I will have to ask around.  All I know how to do is cast on and the knit stitch, so far.  I'm teaching myself so I don't know if I'm doing it right but whatever.

Anywho, this is a long message but now that I know that some craftsters are alive on this thread I can ask my questions about where to get some great crafting supplies and where the best thrift stores are. Have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004 07:57:27 AM »

Okay, so I have a question now.  Cheesy Hee hee.  Is there a place that sells just ready-to-finish wood products?  I'm looking for wooden candle holders.  Short, fat ones.  I looked around in Michaels but they just had a straight, tall one and a fat, tall one.  I wish I had a picture.  But are there any other craft stores other than Michaels?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004 08:30:27 AM »

I know Walmart sells some wooden stuff.  The only other craft store would be Lewiscrat in the Midtown and Market Malls. (they aren't too hot though).  We used to have a Crafts Canada but that bit the dust after Michaels move in.  Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
I think I have a mental picture so I'll keep my eye out for such candle holders!

Oh I just thought of something! This weekend is the Artisans craft market ant the Field House by the University. They might have some unfinished product or you might find someone who will make them for you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004 08:38:48 AM by Elwood » THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004 10:53:32 AM »

Thanks, sorry it took so long to respond.  That weekend we went to visit the in-laws so I didn't get a chance to check out the craft market.  Did you go? And I've been busy packing because we are moving this weekend to the other side of the city.  Grrr, I hate moving.

I did look at Walmart but their section didn't have too much.  Haven't tried Lewiscraft yet. Well, I'll have to keep my eye out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004 07:55:20 PM »

I didn't go. I went home to visit my parents.  My cousin went and she said it was so-so.  I hate moving too.  So are you coming or going to the east/west side.  I'm a west sider (not the getto though).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004 11:01:31 AM »

We moved to the Eastside in Sutherland Area.  We just moved from the westside, I guess a few blocks from the ghetto near the golf course on Avenue M. Two days after we moved on the news a man was found beaten to death a few blocks away from where we lived.  Creepy. Shocked

Anyways, so where are the best fabric stores?  I have a membership at Fanny's, don't have one for Fabricland though.  But in Lethbridge there was this fabric store and they had some great discount prices and a lot to choose from, are there any stores like that around here? Where do you like to shop?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004 08:18:20 AM »

The fabricland in Confederation is a discount fabric store but my best deals come from the west side Wal-Mart.  There selection is way better than the east side and they don't put those stupid dye tags on.

The dead guy thing is creepy! I used to live in Sutherland when I went to university. It's a nice little area.  What other crafts do you like to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004 02:57:00 AM »

Hey everyone!
I am not from Saskatoon, but the whole rest of my family is, so I have spent some time there-and thought I'd weigh in on favorite stores.

If money is no object (heh) there's a fabric store on 1st ave (across from the mall) called unique textiles-I usually go there to get silks and stuff like that-the chere stuff (though I have been able to get really nice on sale there for like 3 dollers a meter on occasion)
There's one that sells upholstery fabrics on 20th I think...
There are also two stores down on quebec-they are in two strip malls right next to each other-prairie lily, which sells yarn and fiber stuff and homespun, which is a quilt store.
Speaking of quilt stores, there's also Periwinkle, which is on 8th somewhere (they moved recently I think so I'm not sure where they are) and one on main just off broadway, but I seem to rembember that it was more 'country', which I'm not that crazy about.

My fave art store is colours on second just off 25th. It is usually cheaper than art placement for basic stuff-art placement has lots of good stuff though.

If you're still looking for wooden stuff-there's a big greenhouse in Saskatoon somewhere that sells that kind of thing-or did anyway. Dutch Growers I think it's called. I remember it being too expensive for me. (why can't I be independantly wealthy?)

Okay that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Do any of you know of a good needle work store in Saskatoon? That has driven me crazy since the one on broadway closed down a few years ago.  Angry

That statement a way back there about 20th street made me laugh...my mom is like that about 20th too. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004 03:02:00 AM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004 06:57:39 AM »

I don't know much about needlework stores.  I forgot about Dutch Growers, like you I am not independantly wealthy...even dependantly wealthy would work for me...
Century Textiles is a good store for fabric and closures, they have every sort of snap and buckle you need! and some that you don't but you buy anyway.  I guess there is a "new" vintage hardware store on 20th.  I have heard from numerous ladies that the guy that works there is quite ummm...hot.  Oh and they have a ton of neat stuff. I'll have top go check out the stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prairietransplant
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2005 08:56:30 PM »

Hi, I'm another girl new to Saskatoon.  My partner moved here to go to the U of S, so here I am.  Can anyone recommend a good place to join a knitting group?  My sister just taught me some basics and I'd love to go somewhere to practice and meet some people.  I don't have a vehicle, so am hoping there will be a group that meets somewhere on a bus route...then I can be one of those girls knitting on the bus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005 08:14:37 AM »

There are a few knitting stores up on 8th street (not sure what they are called) they might have classes maybe try give them a call.

Welcome to Saskatoon, I hope you like cold weather;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prairietransplant
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005 04:25:22 PM »

i can't say i like -40!  now that it's -16, it feels positively balmy.  no wonder i spend so much time in my sewing room...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005 06:49:51 PM »

How are you guys doing? Sorry about not responding sooner, you know with Christmas and everything you get busy, plus I was whipping up PJ's for my whole family.  Went visiting for a couple of weeks and no contact with the computer.  So sad. Tongue

Hmmm, crafts that I like to do.  Right now, I'm into crocheting, trying to teach myself to knit, sewing clothes for my almost 2 year old and that's pretty much what I've been doing for crafts.  And so far all my crafts seem to be centered around my daughter. Cheesy I can cross-stitch but haven't done much with that lately. 

Boy, I sound like a granny or something.  I'm one of those people though who starts a project, gets bored and starts something else, then finally after forever finishes the project I started.  Although, I usually finish up my sewing projects pretty fast because the only time I get to work on them is when my 2 foot terror is sleeping.

I'm thinking of buying more fabric because there are alot of sales going on but I shouldn't I should just use up the stuff I have already plus I would be saving money but its so much fun to just have fun fabric hanging around to do something with.

As for the weather, I thought I loved winter until I moved here.  I'm orginally from Southern Alberta where there are chinooks that make the air warmer and melts the snow.  I am such a wuss now.  It's freezing cold. 

Anyways, I hope you are all having fun with the cold weather and crafting up a storm. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005 07:10:57 PM »

OK we go from -40 to freezing rain...I hope everyone is safe! 
Coolbeans I have craft ADD too, I have at least 1/2 doz craft projects on the go. My little apartment is full!

i love fabric...
My cousin just openned a paint-your -own-pottery studio so I have been busy painting she also has mosaics so that's next...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005 08:30:09 AM »

Ha ha, I'm so glad that there are others like me and know that I am not alone. Cheesy 

I love paint-your-own pottery, on our honeymoon in Canmore my husband and I went to one and it was so fun.  We painted, well mostly me, a plate with our wedding date on it and I painted some stick people on it holding hands on a nice sunny morning.  Although, the weather was kinda sucky that day, it snowed in May, wierd.  But since we were leaving before it would be ready they sent it to us.  It was really fun getting something in the mail. Smiley

So, at your cousin's store do you actually make your own pottery or just paint it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2005 04:32:53 PM »

It's all bisque pieces but she has clay that she sells buy the pound and will fire for you.  It's in City Park called Earth, Paint & Fire.

I think that you plate would be a great momento.  I love getting treats in the mail...no bills though.

I think I'm going to try paper flowers and fabric hair pins (not a clue how to make the hair pins yet)  it should be interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lobsteriffic

it's hip to be square

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005 08:04:14 AM »

Hello all,

I'm moving to Saskatoon in August sometime as I'm going to grad school at the U of S in the fall.  I was just checking out this thread to see what the craft situation is like.  And thought I'd say a four month early hello.   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005 04:59:38 PM »

Wow, I had no idea there were so many Saskatoony Craftsters!

I, too, love Michael's for craft supplies, although I wish it was cheaper. 

Is anyone here selling their stuff anywhere in the city? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007 10:51:10 AM »

hey there. me and a few friends from alberta will be coming to your lovely town the end of november (to see TOOL, yeah!) so we will be there november 26thnight and nov 27th day.....

anyone got any good advice on things to do? its a monday night tuesday day...
anyone else going to the show?! its gonna be swell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raine_Dementia
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008 09:13:59 PM »

Hey there saskatoon folks! Michaels is amazing for selection but kind of  hard on prices. However, I wanted to mention that Michaels now has great origami paper, and some cheap watercolors.

I also wanted to let people know that after my wedding in June, I will be going around to wedding and craft stores and leaving business cards for people who would like to buy paper flowers for their wedding.

Check out my wedding thread here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231885.0

Myself and one of my bridesmaids will be available to comission however many roses you would want, and are also branching out into other flowers as well.

I was also wondering if anyone knows where to find crepe paper in town? They have these martha stewart paper flowers kits, their not amazing and you can get all the instructions online for those exact projects, so I just want a big thing of crepe paper because while coffee filters are MUCH easier with coffee filters, some flowers need a thicker paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
dessadoll
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008 10:20:12 PM »

Hi Raine, just curious as to how much your roses are?  Trying to think of what to get my mom for mothers day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raine_Dementia
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008 12:33:47 PM »

Price varies, if your interested just PM me and let me know how many roses, what color(s), whether you want any kind of filler, what size, and how you want them bound.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
prairiegirl
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009 04:32:05 PM »

Yes, yes!! MCC also my favorite - and not just 'cause I'm Mennonite, although I know that MCC supports lots of overseas projects etc with the proceeds from their stores...And Sally Ann is a close second.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Rainier Wolfcastle - 57th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - 3rd Drawing
How to Draw Homer Simpson - 1st Drawing
How to Draw Young Homer Simpson - 58th Drawing
How to Draw Moe Szyslak - 23rd Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...