A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2nd dim question (but i am getting there!!)  (Read 408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sulkycat
« on: January 20, 2008 04:50:38 AM »

am trying to make this: http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id62.html

the lovely boobholder

thanks to confirmation that i was going about it the right way, i managed the actual knitting on circular needles fine (in fact its one of the neatest pieces of knitting i have done)

BUT i would be lucky if it fit my thigh, never mind my body!

i used aran weight wool, on 5mm needles - i suspect the wool was far too thick - i have loads of dk wool to use, if i try that with the 5mm (i usually use 4mm with dk) is it likely to come out larger sized? or am i being even more dim than i suspect? do i just need to cast on more stitches? help please!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008 10:09:47 AM »

For aran weight you'd probably need at least 7mm needles or 8. But if you don't have any, and want to use the DK, you could use 5 or 5.5 mm with it and CO a few more stitches. Then do the increases until it fits. There's several threads in the Knitalong forum about how to modify it and tips for using different weight yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
sulkycat
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008 10:38:43 AM »

thank you - its help from people like you soozeq that have given me the confidence to attempt things that arent gloves or bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008 11:30:49 AM »

<blush> Thank you....

Knitting isn't something that when you make a mistake it can't be changed. You just have to experiment a little - play with your needles and yarn, and if you goof, you do it over again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
3catnight
big scary American girl

Once again a three-cat night!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008 05:13:43 AM »

Top-down raglans (like the Boobholder) are my favorite style to make because if it's too small, you can just continue knitting and increasing the same way - trying it on as you go - until it fits.

Don't worry about the number of stitches you have. Stop counting them. I'm serious. Go by measurements - does it fit around your arms and chest yet? If not, keep going. If so, then move onto the next step, joining the underarms for sleeves or decreasing below the bust or whatever you have to do.

If you need to look at the pattern, read it for what it means and ignore the numbers. Does it say (for example) to decrease 2 stitches every other row in the middle of each front side? Then find those middles on your Boobholder - half of each front side, no matter how many stitches that may be - and put your markers there. Increasing/decreasing at a specific rate ("2 stitches every other row" or whatever) always creates the same angle. Just keep doing it for as many rows as it takes to fit you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 07:50:35 AM »

That is good advice above, though you do need to start with the right number of stitches to fit around your neck, and that may vary from the pattern according to the yarn and needles used. Figure how many inches you need for the neck, then multiply that by the sts/inch your gauge is. Start with that and just knit until it's large enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
smileygirl
yea, i knit with acrylic. what are you gonna do about it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008 07:51:00 AM »

I agree. when i do a top down raglan, i never count. i just do my increases until it fits. that's the beauty of a top down, and if you think it's still a little too small, you can block it bigger
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more you know, the less you don't know

I love being married.
It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
-Rita Rudner

My Blog!! http://raynaknits.blogspot.com
My Etsy!! http://www.raynascreations.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Chicken with Broccoli Rice Bowl
Five New Orleans Classic Dishes
How to Cook Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
How to Make Chicken and Bacon Roll-Ups
How to Make Open-Faced Pimiento Cheese BLTs
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...