A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gathered Pullover?  (Read 3412 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

busymama
« on: January 20, 2008 05:57:24 PM »

Anyone knitting (or thinking about knitting) the Gathered Pullover from the winter 2007 IK?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijou_raoul
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008 07:01:26 PM »

I have this in my queue on Ravelry, there are a couple other things I'm looking to finish up first though. Hopefully next month I'll be ready to get this sweater on the needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NWPlatinum
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008 11:52:13 AM »

I started it, and got all the way to starting on the sleeves before it hit me that I was knitting something that not only didn't have waist shaping, but gathered at the bust.

I've never looked good in empire waist tops or anything tent-like, so I don't know why I thought it would be a good choice. That fantastic cable blinded the sensible parts of my brain.

The project is now sitting in its bag, awaiting frogging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
busymama
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008 01:49:48 PM »

Blinded by the cable...LOL!  I've heard that the gathering stops it from being tent~like, and there are folks who made the cable fall just under the bust (what I plan to do if all this stockinette doesn't kill me first!).

What kind of yarn were you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosevans4
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008 10:49:32 PM »

just started doing this..hopefully i wontget bored tooo quick Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
80schick
Don't mess with the librarian

I love purple

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008 06:22:52 AM »

I'm keen to join a local knitting group. I think that this would be a good project as all my other projects are quite complicated. The endless stocking stitch would be fine while I'm chatting and don't need to pay too much attention. I may drop in some time soon with my progress.

Phyllis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008 07:12:26 PM »

I'm working on this now.  I got through the body pretty quickly despite the endless stockinette.  Love the cable.

but now I'm on the sleeves...ugghh.  I hate sleeves.

I'm using Classic Elite Classic One Fifty merino yarn.  I couldn't find the specified yarn and I was looking for a particular color (purple-ish, but not too purple) in something without Alpaca content.  My sub yarn appeared to be the correct gauge (comparable to the yarn listed in the pattern), but I'm not sure it's turning out as drapey as it's meant to be.  I think I like it, though, so I'm looking forward to eventually finishing this.

I'll try to post some pics this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008 04:48:16 PM »

I want to knit this but I have a question.  I want to knit this with some recycled merino wool from a thrift store sweater.  I was excited I got exactly the gauge on a swatch washed and all.  But the problem?  I measured my bust and it's almost exactly between the smallest sizes.  32" would definately be too small, and 36.25" too big.  Hm.  I've never knit an entire sweater before and not sure what is the best thing to do.  I would not be happy to knit a million rows of stockinette to be unhappy with the fit. 

I'm wondering if I should knit a swatch in a needle size bigger and go with the small size or a needle size smaller and go with the next size up?  But that seems like even more of a risk that it would actually fit even if I did a bunch of proportional math.  lol

Or I could try to somehow alter the pattern to make it halfway between those two sizes?  But I was kinda hoping for a brainless knit for a car ride I will be on tomorrow...

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008 07:40:14 PM »

I measured my bust and it's almost exactly between the smallest sizes.  32" would definately be too small, and 36.25" too big.  Hm.  I've never knit an entire sweater before and not sure what is the best thing to do.  I would not be happy to knit a million rows of stockinette to be unhappy with the fit. 

Or I could try to somehow alter the pattern to make it halfway between those two sizes?  But I was kinda hoping for a brainless knit for a car ride I will be on tomorrow...

If you want a close fit, you should probably go with the smaller size.  If you'd like it a little looser or plan to layer, the larger size would probably be ok.

I had the same situation, where I was between sizes.  I have approx. 35" bust and went up to the 36" size since it was the closest.  I modified the size across the bust slightly by adding waist shaping, decreasing 12 stitches total for waist, but only increasing 8 stitches to the bust.  It's a little looser than I would have liked, but this could at least partly be blamed on my yarn unexpectedly growing when it got wet (I tried checking for this with the gauge swatch, but apparently this wasn't noticeable to me at the time).  I had really hoped for a sweater that could be worn without layering, but this really requires a tank/cami worn underneath because the neck is so big.

Here's a really bad FO pic to give you an idea:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008 05:47:10 PM »

*k*, thanks for the answer and picture.  I think yours looks great!  I agree though, it looks more of a snuggle up warm sweater with layers than a tight, sexy one.  The problem is that if you make it too tight, you will never wear it, a little big is still wearable, so I would tend towards that as well.  That said, after smoothing and measuring my swatch all night, I went with the smaller size for mine, and I think it might actually work out.  That said after almost being done with the main part, you never know.  But that leads me to another question I'm having...

In the very back of the neck it has you binding off stitches.  Then later for the neckline edging it has you picking up stitches all around.  Do you think it would be ok to just hold onto the very back stitches live and then knit them when you get to the edging?  Seems a lot easier than binding off stitches just to later pick them up, yk?

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Flirty, Tousled, Party Ponytail
How To Rock A Simple Braid For Your Holiday Party
5-Minute Holiday Updo Hairstyle
Emma Rees Shows You How to Get the Glamourous Soft Wave Look
Holiday Hair Tips: The Perfect Up-Do
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...