A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,673
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circles are for squares!  (Read 667 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ArianeIsEatingADanish
« on: January 17, 2008 07:40:44 AM »

Well, not really. But I wanted to start with a bad pun. I mean, that's not really a pun, but... look, never mind.

So I have this pattern, and it is for a tank top, (from a book called "Fabulous Flirty Knits" that my flatmate got me for Christmas, if anyone reading this is a Detail Queen or King) and all is well and good except for the part where it's knitted up on a circular needle. Now, this is an American size seven circular needle. I have a pair of size seven STRAIGHT needles, but only a completely massive and a tiny, delicate little circular needles. And a set of double ended ones. Now, I'm really not a big fan of circular needles, but I won't go into that right now because it is perhaps the singularly most trivial and silly thing to rant about. So what I'm asking is, how does one translate a pattern from circulars to straight needles? Is there a trick to it, or do you just knit a big unfolded version of the tube and then sew up a side seam? Also, what about issues of decreasing and increasing, waist-wise? Any advice would be much appreciated, of course!

Oh, and in the past I've participated in internet forums that LOATHED the resurrection of old threads from Times Gone By and also ones that REVILED the practice of starting a new thread for a topic that already had a thread to call its own. So if I'm doing anything wrong, I'm very sorry because this is my first topic here, so if you'd specify which sort of community this is, that would also be rad! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008 07:56:10 AM »

Debbie Stoller's Stitch and Bitch gives a quick tip on coverting flat knitting into circular knitting. I forgot which page it was on. But I know it's in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008 07:59:19 AM »

You could knit it flat and seam it up if you like. If it's stockinette or rib, it would be easy. I think you need to add a stitch at either end to facilitate seaming it. As for shaping, you might want to chart it if it's complicated, or at least rewrite it to reflect where you start and end in relation to the increases and decreases. If it's simple, you might not need to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulkycat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008 09:40:51 AM »

regarding what sort of a forum this is: i find that people generally (not always because as in the 'real' world not everyone is as helpful as they could be) point you to the right place if you make a booboo in posting

there is a search box at the top which is really useful, but obviously there isnt always time (or willpower) to scroll through pages & pages

i have certainly made a couple fo posting blips, & have only ever had very nice, helpful advice - if in doubt, say so at the start of your posting, as in something along the lines of 'sorry if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it'

i like it here, its one of my daily 'must checks'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ArianeIsEatingADanish
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008 06:57:32 AM »

thanks a whole bunch for the paractical advice! Seam allowance = DUH, but I didn't even think about! So, thanks. Awesome.

Also, thanks for the conduct tip! Very handy, although I suppose this is the sort of thing you have to work out for yourself with time...

rosecomet, do you know if it's the first or second Stitch & Bitch? I only have the first...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008 04:41:12 PM »

In the first one, I believe. I'll double check when I get home. I'm at my mom's house  visiting.

I was wrong.....my bad...it's in the second one, on page 101. I'm really sorry. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008 07:02:56 PM by rosecomet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananasplit
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008 08:25:04 PM »

Is the piece knit in the round?  If so, just add 1 or 2 stitches to either end for seams.  Or, you could knit it on DPs.

It's really not a big deal to switch straighte patterns to circ ones and vice versa.  If it's complicated stitch, write it down.  Otherwise, you should be fine.

I'd be happy to answer ny questions if needed.

Good luck!  Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Chocolate Cake Topper
Bring the Carnival Home With a Funnel Cake Ice Cream Sandwich
Peach and Raspberry Cobbler Recipe
Easy Crème Brûlée Recipe
Daily Chocolate Consumption May Be Good for the Heart
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...