A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,184
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Combining sewing and knitting?  (Read 1189 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ladybugger
« on: January 20, 2008 10:22:30 AM »

Hey folks,

After seeing the expanse of both my yarn AND fabric stash, I started thinking...what if I combined fabric and yarn? I was wondering if any of you crafty people out there could share some tips, project ideas, and whatever on this pursuit. Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support a female, organic farmer! www.mirsky.etsy.com
smileygirl
yea, i knit with acrylic. what are you gonna do about it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008 04:41:36 PM »

well, as a knitter and sewer myself. when i knit hoodies, i line the hoods with fabric. right now i'm trying to figure how i can put knitted side panels in the sides of some thrift store jeans
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more you know, the less you don't know

I love being married.
It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
-Rita Rudner

My Blog!! http://raynaknits.blogspot.com
My Etsy!! http://www.raynascreations.etsy.com
3catnight
big scary American girl

Once again a three-cat night!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008 04:58:52 AM »

The Autumn 2007 issue of Yarn Forward has a baby dress with a knitted top and sewn fabric skirt. I'm sure anyone so inclined could make something similar in non-baby sizes as well.

Another idea is to cut fabric into bias strips and knit with it. That's something I've always wanted to do - but I'll have to wait until I have a fabric stash again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananasplit
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008 09:13:05 AM »

I've been saving my skinny scraps to knit with (eventually).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steezah
gimme a beat and a bassline

get rich or die knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008 03:28:38 PM »

if i knew how to sew i'd go buck wild creating dual medium pieces

-scarves with pockets (line a knit pocket, attach a sewn one)
-lined hoodies, beanies, mittens, earflaps,
-shrugs with fabric collars
-tops & halters a la lingerie style (fabric body, knit boobs+straps)
-i'd cut off the backs of shirts and crochet some funky circles, attach at random spots so that it creates an open breezy sexy back
-wife beater style tanks with lace overlays (hey i could do that one without sewing hmm...lol)

i dunno, thats just off the top of my head.

ooh!
headbands!

think how cool a lace headband would look with a dope fabric poking out underneath the yos.
or what about...
pencil cases with knitted dividers!! knitted pockets!!

crap i wish i could sew
Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged

optimystik1
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008 10:42:54 AM »

Anthropologie had some great cardigans that had fabric front panels that were knit into...like the  front panels were sewn fabric and seamed, then they were knit into for the back and the sleeves.
 I'm assuming that it would be really easy to just cut little slits in the sewn fabric, and use a crochet hook to pick up some stitches to start knitting into in order to make a really cool fabric and knit garment. The effect was really cool, and I'm dying to try it.

Here's the link...its kinda hard to see the fabric knit combo online though.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7299087089500039131&id=71814&parentid=APP_SWEATERS_CARDIGANS&pushId=APP_SWEATERS_CARDIGANS&popId=APP_SWEATERS&sortProperties=%2BmarketingPriority%2C-saleDate&nav
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooooohhh! I wanna make that!
queenoftroy
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008 09:22:08 AM »

Arlene Mitzter, (designer/knitting professional)has made fair isle vest(s), steeked, and added petite point (needlepoint) button bands, rather than knit ones.. & solved the problem of buttonholes quite nicely!

I've seen vest with Quilted shoulder yokes--on the lower hem, closely sewn on 'blanket stitch' (see any embroider book for instructions) and stitches picked up from blanket stitch and the body of the vest knit.. (jackets done the same way, yoke/collar peiced/quilted cloth, body/sleeves knit.

and in times past all hand knit suits were lined (with woven fabric linings.) as are many knit/felted bags these day.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulkycat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008 09:29:10 AM »

pretty straightforward to add skirts to knitted tops - knitting lingerie style has several examples in it

i sewed professionally for a long time so my sewing is much better than my knitting - & yes, its great to be able to do both!

the down side is having 2 massive stashes of both wool & materials (3 if i count my painting stuff!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady.grey

(Scientist and DIY Punk)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008 04:14:00 PM »

I always sew a bit of ribbon onto the cardigans that I knit, to reinforce the buttonholes.  The two things that I learned when I started this are:
   1.) It is crucial to have blocked the knit piece first, so that it is the size that you expect it to be, because the fabric will never be as stretchy.
   2.) It is equally crucial to keep the knit piece in it's perfectly blocked state until you have finished the sewing bit, otherwise the sewn fabric may bunch up, relative to the knitted fabric, or vice versa.

Both of these may seem like no-brainers; I do not mean to insult anyones' intelligence.  I simply do not want anyone to experience the frustration that was my first headlong (and not entirely well-thought out) foray into knitting plus sewing.

The thing that I would really like to try is lining a cardigan with some kind of printed silk.  However, I fear that I lack the sewing skills for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What she asked of me at the end of the day, Caligula would have blushed.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008 08:09:41 AM »

I am glad I found this discussion!  I have a gorgeous piece of wool jersey knit that is the exact perfect color of some mohair metallic yarn I purchased...I have never combined fabric and knitting and am a bit stumped on how to do this...

do I sew the top first then add the knitting or do I cut out the pieces, add the knitting and then sew it?  What I want to do is make a buttoned top with knitting at the cuffs, collar and bottom and then add crochet buttons made with the same yarn...

I was told that I could add the knitting by attaching a chain of crochet to hook into ... I am wondering if there is a different way to do this?

I would appreciate any help so that I can avoid any pitfalls--I would hate to ruin the fabric and the yarn and I just don't have the patience to do a practice piece...thanks! btw--I am a very experience seamstress but a beginner knitter ha ha

one more thing:  Lady grey -- if I knit directly onto the fabric, do I block after the garment is made?  You are scaring me here with this blocking stuff...I have only kniit scarves so, any pointers for garments would be wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do the cow face stretch
How To Write Query Letters
Gerbera Daisies from Afloral & How To Use Them
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Chris Stone Talks About Berkleemusic
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...