A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 316,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
269 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making of Paper Beads  (Read 3576 times)
Tags for this thread: paper_beads , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cath 501
« on: January 20, 2008 09:23:42 AM »

Here are the picture and instructions for making paper beads maybe you want 2 modify them in some way!Even the kids can have ago,using PVA glue,clear nail polish or some poly-glaze.
First of all find an old mag or it could be new paper (thicker stuff works better!)

Now mark out the sheep of paper at 1cm or wider if you want longer beads

Then draw up and down to turn them into long triangles

Cut out as shown

Roll up the long triangles out cocktail stick and glue at the end

Once glued run them over a embossing pad and the dip into clear/coloured powder

Set the embossing powder over a heat gun.Dip into embossing powder and reheat again if required.

And here are a mix and match of what I made.........flogged loads,and had free beer all night 4 me and my mates with these!!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011 05:01:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtickl
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008 11:34:49 AM »

Hey can you do all of this with mod podge and then when its dry add a clear coat of sculpey clay gloss?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008 11:38:00 AM by schtickl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5488961
zen-art-gallery.deviantart.com

SoRo Jewelry Design
cath 501
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008 01:25:22 PM »

What is mog podge?Just have ago with any scrappy bit of paper!What have you 2 lose?
Lol
Cath
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtickl
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008 03:53:13 PM »

Wow the mod podge worked great!! its a decoupaging glue with a gloss/luster. It not only made the beads stick together, but it made them shine really nicely and hardened them so they wont break!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5488961
zen-art-gallery.deviantart.com

SoRo Jewelry Design
ladiestheytalkabout
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008 05:39:59 PM »

I love paper beads!  Great idea to use the embossing powder/ink - very cool  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sister Friends
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 07:12:18 PM »

I started making paper beads about 20 years ago, when I couldn't afford to buy beads.  I used clear nail polish...about 3-4 coats.  Worked like the Mod Podge.  Some of my customers are still wearing the necklaces, so the beads are durable, too.  Happy Beading! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cath 501
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008 07:15:55 AM »

The first ones I made were done in an art class, or something but the teacher didn't bother to cover them. She spent ages on  the beads(just long straight ones) used them in a necklace, but living here in the UK I wanted to make them weather proof! Because a few weeks b4 she had shown use something on shrinking plastic with ink on, one member of the class went out in the rain.........and need I say more!
So I spent Yonks trying to make them more durable, and I did!
I also had a mess with plastic bottles,cartons and what ever instead of paying pounds ten for shrinky stuff! and post them on this site.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Plastic-Bottle-Beads/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cath 501
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008 02:20:24 PM »

I am so glad you enjoy making paper beads there's no end 2 them!Well there is really, but lets not go there!I love them when my granddaughters make them because there are no mistakes and the get instant gratification at such a cheep price!How much does a prit-stick n paper cost (I bet most homes have them already!And on a rainy afternoon it can last for hours! Pennies not pounds! A couple of those smilie faces above would look good printed on2 some paper.........
I am glad you told me about other things 2 cover them with!2 make them last longer!Some paper beads were found in the pyramids I hope mine last as long!I so hard 2 believe something can!
Lol
Cathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ajanderson78
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008 12:32:16 PM »

Oh, thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for posting this tut.  I got a ton of magazines to use for collages and now I can make beads too.  Wooo hooo!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

josywosy
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008 06:14:05 PM »

I'm so excited to try this! Thanks so much for posting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fabric to Metal, Wool to Wood, I'll try it all.
www.madebyjoslin.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...