A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress Recon Finished. Thanks for the help!  (Read 1489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maenad_au
« on: January 20, 2008 01:45:21 AM »

Thank you everybody who gave me feedback and encouragement on my first reconstruction project. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=218840.0) As I promised I'm now posting the probably-finished project. I say it's probably finished because I can still see myself adding an applicae or something like that later on.

So here are some photos of the finished dress, including the dress with a shrug as MaxineBrandywine suggested. I'm sorry for the crappy quality of the photos.

I have a lot of trouble getting a decent photo because all I have to use is a webcam on my laptop and it was night by the time I finished so the pics are dark and grainy. If I stood any further away from the camera I'd be all out of focus.

Close ups:

I decided that my bust needed a little assistance so I sewed a bra into the dress. Doing that wasn't as fiddly as I had expected.  Smiley

Since I had to sew by hand and my hand-sewing is basic and dodgey looking, I used nylon "invisible" thread. Unfortunately it is also amazingly itchy. The bra that I sewed in was a little itchy on its own too. So, running out of time I grabbed some scraps left over and used this wonderful stuff I've just discovered called Rescue Tape. It's double-sided tape for fabric. Worked like a charm! I also used it to put on the tulle at the bottom of the dress which I don't want to keep there permanently. I want to be able to take it off so I can wear the dress to uni since the tulle makes it too fussy for school.

And inside:

The Rescue Tape held up perfectly to a couple of hours' dancing at a club. The only "wardrobe malfunction" was with the satin ribbon that was the holter neck tie. The knot slipped a bit and I need to duck into the Ladies' a couple of times to tighten it up again.

Thanks again to everyone who encouraged me with this dress. I'm really proud with how it came out and it has everything to do with the help I got from this forum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Burn down the disco,
Hang the blessed DJ,
Because the music that they constantly play,
says nothing to me about my life."
- The Smiths

http://www.wists.com/Maenad
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008 06:23:16 PM »

This dress and shrug make a great combo! Looks nice on you worn with or without the shrug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
toothfairy51
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008 10:32:26 AM »

I like it! I like it with the shrug, too. MaxineB has the most amazing creative mind.
Your recon rocks!
Toothfairy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Many Uses of EOS Lip Balm
Roksanda Ilincic Fall 2014 London Fashion Wk Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Tips for Massage Techniques
6 Hottest Summer Trends in Fashion, Beauty and Food
Drugstore vs Designer: Physician’s Formula or Bobbi Brown Shadow Palettes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...