Thank you everybody who gave me feedback and encouragement on my first reconstruction project. (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=218840.0
) As I promised I'm now posting the probably-finished project. I say it's probably finished because I can still see myself adding an applicae or something like that later on.
So here are some photos of the finished dress, including the dress with a shrug as MaxineBrandywine
suggested. I'm sorry for the crappy quality of the photos.
I have a lot of trouble getting a decent photo because all I have to use is a webcam on my laptop and it was night by the time I finished so the pics are dark and grainy. If I stood any further away from the camera I'd be all out of focus.
I decided that my bust needed a little assistance so I sewed a bra into the dress. Doing that wasn't as fiddly as I had expected.
Since I had to sew by hand and my hand-sewing is basic and dodgey looking, I used nylon "invisible" thread. Unfortunately it is also amazingly itchy. The bra that I sewed in was a little itchy on its own too. So, running out of time I grabbed some scraps left over and used this wonderful stuff I've just discovered called Rescue Tape
. It's double-sided tape for fabric. Worked like a charm! I also used it to put on the tulle at the bottom of the dress which I don't want to keep there permanently. I want to be able to take it off so I can wear the dress to uni since the tulle makes it too fussy for school.
The Rescue Tape held up perfectly to a couple of hours' dancing at a club. The only "wardrobe malfunction" was with the satin ribbon that was the holter neck tie. The knot slipped a bit and I need to duck into the Ladies' a couple of times to tighten it up again.
Thanks again to everyone who encouraged me with this dress. I'm really proud with how it came out and it has everything to do with the help I got from this forum.