A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a question for all those people who paint their shoes...  (Read 2779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xtyr
love and a cupcake

*heart*

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2008 03:32:15 PM »

what kind of paint do you use on converse? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts... but you cannot deny he's got style..."
n1njadrum
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008 11:50:40 PM »

I use[d] Jacquard Textile Paint.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tali_llama
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008 06:32:05 PM »

acrylic stays on pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosesanplacebos
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008 01:45:11 AM »

Acrylic works well, make sure no matter what you use, seal it after!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NiliSabach
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008 11:34:06 AM »

I have a question also-
if I paint a pair of jeans colored converse with red acrylic paint, I must use a sealer? I wanna make this pair this weekend and all the stores are closed. besides, I don't know what's the name of that thing in my country.
what'll happen if I don't?

and another question- how many layers of the paint?

thanks [:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Killer Bees
Just give me coffee and no one gets hurt!

I'm Tori's best friend........no, really!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008 09:12:47 PM »

For clothing, I would stick with fabric paints.  They're specially designed for cloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Moriarty, what are you doing in that piano?"
"I'm hidin' "
"Don't be silly - Haydn's been dead for years."

The Goon Show
owl lady
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008 08:03:30 AM »

I had the perfect opportunity this week to test my painted shoes in almost all conditions. I'd painted owls on black canvas shoes with Tulip fabric paint and then sprayed ScotchGard over the painted parts of the shoes (I have a topic up on the completed projects section). Since my boyfriend hadn't seen them yet I wore them the last time I saw him, which was on Tuesday. Anyway, I didn't realize it was going to rain that day or exactly what we were going to end up doing, or else I probably wouldn't have worn them. It rained a little and I walked in it without ruining the shoes. Then we decided to take a walk on the nature trails near my house. As most nature trails go, this one was unpaved and muddy in areas. I did avoid walking in puddles and dog poo (people are so inconsiderate sometimes) so I can't say that the shoes would have survived either of those accidents. Anyway, since it had just rained a little bit, the ground and the grass was wet and stuck to my shoes. We climbed up this really steep incline where he had to practically pull me up once because I almost lost my balance, and I got my shoes thoroughly dirty (but not muddy) and thought they were done for.

I got home and let them dry overnight and cleaned them off with water and a toothbrush the next morning and they look perfectly fine. Of course, there's still a little bit of dirt on the sides but it's hardly noticeable and I wouldn't call them ruined in any way. The most important part is that the painted parts of the shoes ended up looking as good as new after I brushed the dirt off of them. So, that is how well the Tulip fabric paint and Scotchgard work on canvas shoes (meaning your Converse, too).

Oh, and to answer the other question, just paint until you can't see the color of the shoe anymore. Sometimes you'll have to paint some more because the paint will soak in and look faded, but you should be able to tell when you've put enough paint on your shoes... Just be sure to plug up the shoe with paper towels or news paper before you paint so it doesn't seep in and dye your socks/feet when you're wearing them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Like Beyonce
Andre Leon Talley Upgrades Zappos to Couture
How to Match with Your Prom Date – Without Looking Cheesy
How to Look Edgy Cool at Prom
How to Find Your Perfect Prom Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...