A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Save the egg" what materials will work? help!!  (Read 449 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelemonade

Ain't no rest for the wicked...!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2008 08:59:11 AM »

For my science class, the teacher told us to make 3 designs for a parachute and basket thingy, or whatever, and we will drop an egg from my school's 3rd floor, and we must make something so it will land safely. Like a hot air balloon... just a DESCENDING hot air balloon Smiley.

SO I've made 2 designs, but they're not that different, and I'm not 100% sure that the materials are correct. Some of the rules my teacher gave us is that we have to build it, and the materials have to be eco-friendly (so foam and plastic bag parachutes are not a good idea), it has to land in a certain area in the ground (like 4x4 mts), the egg can't be fastened, like putting cotton all around it,or straps above it to secure it in place, that's not allowed, AND we have to spend less than 40 dollars on it, so no expensive -but -eco -friendly materials.
My question(s) are::
1.- Is it true that flour (or flour mixed with water) can reduce the impact??
2.-what kind of parachute is more effective, the kind that's like a big rectangle, a big cirlce, or a circle with a small hole in the middle?
3. Do you think paper is a good material for the parachute? or will fabric work better?
4.- And finally, for the basket, do you think wood is a bad descicion (it will fall faster, and it's harder to work with, considering we're in 8th grade) or should I go for cardboard??
Thanks in advance!! (and I thank you on the behalf of my partner, who is as lazy and doesn't care about our grades ) Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008 09:01:13 AM by lelemonade » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008 08:20:16 PM »

Flour mixed with water is glue, I'd say steer clear of that. Paper makes a fine air deflecting device, think kites.  If you can't pad the egg how are you to secure it? if you can secure it in a cup of some sort you can focus on bounce instead of slowing the fall, or both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008 04:25:36 AM »

Wow, this brings back memories!  My older brother had to do this as a high school project.  His rules were a bit different, though.  The best design in his class was suspending the egg inside of nylons (pantyhose) inside of some sort of flexible contraption they built.  When the contraption landed, the egg moved within the nylon suspension.

I'm not sure you can use a parachute at all.  How would you control the contraption to make sure it lands in the 4x4?  I fear it might drift off course. Cheesy

I agree with Penlowe about the flour & water = glue thing. Sad

Cardboard might work for a basket or frame.  Maybe something built of Popsicle sticks or some sort of thin wood like that?

If you search "egg drop project" or "egg drop high school" on Google and you will find some other ideas.  Probably best to just make up a bunch on your own and experiment, though.  Half of the fun of the project is figuring it out on your own and testing the evil devices. Cheesy  My brother & his friend had so much fun with it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008 04:33:23 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008 04:27:24 AM »

Oh!  Ha!  This is similar to the one in his class back then http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiculadreams/1692750479/  Too funny Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelemonade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008 05:04:28 PM »

Thank you!!!! I'll definately stay away from the water and flour now  Wink . haha, the egg looks funny between all the..black stuff xD. I think I'll also use.... ORANGE PEELS!!!!!!!! (yeah, it sounds weird) and grapefuit peels, mom told me to dry them in the sun so they don't.. well, get rotten. But they're organic, and (kinda) soft. But I'll just have to experiment, with that and ideas from the net. Cheesy thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 05:05:19 PM »

Please post back your progress and "completed project" photos, if you can!  I'd love to hear how it all turns out for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelemonade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008 05:06:09 PM »

I sure will!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Summer Fashion Trends From Celebrity Stylist Electra
Baby Blankets Ideas
Pre-Walker Baby Shoes
3 Ideas of Tops For Girls
Understanding Baby Clothing Sizes
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...