A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lettuce Wrap Ideas?  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2008 05:48:12 AM »

does anyone have any sort of lettuce wrap recipies that could easily be done in a dorm?  my only tools are a microwave, a coffee pot, a fridge, and a cutting board and knife.  i've done a little bit of lunch meat and cheese rolled up inside a piece of lettuce, but i want some other ideas.  and i also like them because they're low-carb.  so if anyone had any suggestions that would be great.  i'm also on a very tight budget, especially after i bought my books for this semester (oy vey!).  thanks in advanced!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008 07:22:03 AM »

I was going to suggest cold cuts and cheese....but you have already done that.  What about steamed veggies?  You can steam carrots and green beans in your microwave and maybe add your favorite salad dressing to the wrap? And some cheese.....I love cheese.
Another idea might be tofu or chicken hot dogs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carmin
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008 09:23:48 AM »

Why not a type of farmers omelet, thats easy to make in an microwave.

For the omelet you mix 2 eggs, a little milk or water and salt in an small breakfast bowl.

In the mix you can put almost anything you want, vegetables like lettuce and tomato's, pieces of cheese or boiled potato's, bacon, tuna, mushrooms and spices. Its just a matter of taste and not adding something to raw or large that wont cook quickly, or something that will explode.

Cook in micro until it sets, i prefer if it moves a little in the middle when i take it out.

My favorite is cheese, leek and tarragon. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008 05:04:39 PM »

In our grocery store if you by the roasted chickes the next day or late at night they are pretty cheap. Get one of those & pull oall the meat off as soon as you get home.
Shredd that to make chicken salad with a ltitle mayo and some spices.  or just eat the meat shredded & mixed with some shredded or chopped vegies.

i LOVE STEAMING SHREDDED CARROTS, CALIFLOWER STEM & BROCOLI STEM  IT'S great filler for sandiches.

drain chick peas & or beans of your liking mix with a little dressing. 

tuna is good in a wrap too. I like to add a little parm to my chicken or tuna salad. 
Kraft has the parm now that is a block of parm cheese in its ow shredder.  look in the sunday paper for coupons too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008 03:19:35 PM »

My sister lived in South Korea for a year, and became addicted to bulgogi - recipe here: http://www.trifood.com/bulgogi.html . She would make a bunch of the meat, slice it up and store it in her fridge.  For meals, she'd wrap it up with some sticky rice inside a lettuce leaf. It's really good, and simple.

I realize you don't have a way to do grilled meat, but maybe you could pick some up from a BBQ place or deli, and haul some meat to the park and grill it up. Then you could just stash it in your fridge.

I've also had seafood salad wrapped in lettuce which was very good, but the ingredients could be a little expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gothmom
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 08:54:32 AM »

I like using bean thread noodles in wraps.  Also called cellophane noodles.  You find them in the asian food section of the grocery store.  If you go to an asian grocery store they are SUPER CHEAP.  Just throw in boiling water for a couple of minutes (no need to leave the water boiling, just get it that hot.)  And then put them in your wrap - I do spring rolls with rice circles (also from asian grocery super cheap) shrimp, cellophane noodles, carrots and lettuce and mint or basil and dip in a mixture of hoisin sauce and peanut butter.  You could skip the shrimp part and they would be pretty cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ictinia
Bird Nerd Extraordinaire

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008 04:02:41 PM »

I also love bulgogi! I bet it would be good to make the sauce and steam some of the veggies in the microwave and use the already cooked chicken? I am a big fan of rotisserie chickens that you can buy at the supermarket. They are so versatile and if you don't have an oven, that part is done. You can make all sorts of chicken salad and reheat it with many different types of sauces and wrap in the lettuce. FYI, I love to wrap in butter lettuce, it seems to be the best for that job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahluffoodie

awarness + balance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008 05:49:51 PM »

Tuna would cheap & easy
Hummus would be ok in there with some red peppers--> a jar of red peppers will last you too.
When I was living in a dorm, my roomie had a little electric ceramic contraption that boiled water, in small amounts.  That might be a good thing to have, to boil like one egg.  You could make egg & olive (or just egg salad)

I love cucumber sammies with cream cheese... you can probably nab some single serve cream cheese from the dinning hall... I am NOT one to condone stealing, but... I don't see why you can't get a little extra CC on the side  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marching to my own heartbeat
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short Hair Makeovers For Fall
How To Take Care of Hair Extensions
How to Do the Perfect Sleek Blowout at Home
The Risks of Using a Hair Relaxer
Va Va Voom! This 1960s Hair Embodies Grace And Glamour
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...