A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibre Friday 01-18-2008  (Read 5259 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

luxx

Used to be one of the rotten ones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008 08:15:39 AM »

Hey everybody!

Lufah - I love the four ply. I had never thought about using four different colours to do that...have to try it.

I have two this week:

The Grape Escape - Romney - aprox 110 yards...don't know what to do with it yet. Any ideas?

Dust Bunnies - a crazy yarn that I spun from some random, semi soft, white fleece and some random other bits. I found the colourfull bits in a bag at a thrift store for a dollar. I bet I have atleast a pound of the stuff and am not sure what I will do with the rest. It's pretty short fiber bits which makes it pretty hard to spin with. I knit it into a cuff and have enough left to knit another one.

Until next week...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tweet me!
luxfish on twitter
I'm drinking water through my eyes, it's a trick I learned
www.luxfish.etsy.co m
Chillin' so hard my ass almost froze off
pmpknpunk
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008 08:30:18 AM »

WOW beautiful everyone!!!!

Lufah-GREAT 4 ply, I love the purple and red color combo!!!
Jazzturtle- Happy Scrappy makes me Happy! Smiley lol
Jadzy- VERY nice 2nd project, I'm impressed!

Here are my contributions:

"Balls of Fun at Mardi Gras" COTTON BALL yarn (inspired by bean15  Smiley) plied with Lion Brand Trellis done on my drop spindle!

My first attempt at Kool Aid dying, just some old 100% virgin fishermans wool I got at the thrift store for $1 with 3 packets of Cherry!

2nd attempt at Kool Aid Dying, 1st attempt at dying the roving, I think I did pretty darn good!  Smiley

And finally introducing "Stella" my NEW Antique wheel!

My closest LYS is about 50 minutes away so I drove down there last night and have the owner check her all out, we have some "tweaking" to do but she is totally in usable condition, I'm SO excited to learn on a wheel...I will probably invest in a newer wheel in the future but for right now she is all I have and I love her! She has so much character!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 08:39:17 AM by pmpknpunk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008 08:43:45 AM »

Okay, Lufah, you are blowing my mind...again!  I would need 2 lazy kates to do a four-ply.  Plus another bobbin, of course.  I LOVE your result(s)!!

Pmpknpunk, what a lovely new wheel!

So most of last week and part of this one I was working on a commission.  Took me for. Ever.

Impressionist  I spun a skein of Impressionist yarn not too long ago, and here are all of its friends.  Smiley  Mostly merino, with a dash of superwash, 632 yards, 1 lb. 2.5 oz, bulky. 

Graham Cracker Crust 100% alpaca, 300 yards, sport weight.

Hard Candy 100% merino, 151 yards, 3.9 oz, bulky.

Yay!  Happy fiber friday, everyone!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008 08:48:48 AM »

Made from HollyEQQ's Batt of the Month for... I think it was November? It was basically a scrap batt with all kinds of nutty stuff in it. I plied it with thread.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lufah
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008 08:52:04 AM »

Nicolassa, I just used an old cardboard printer-paper box from Staples, poked holes in the sides, ran some stiff wire through (or you can use thin knitting needles), and placed my bobbins on that.  Instant lazy kate!

Can't help with the extra bobbins, though (unless you wanted to wind your yarn off onto toilet paper tubes - I did that when I was using the drop spindle, but it's kind of a pain in the butt).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008 08:57:48 AM »

I hope it's okay to ask this, sorry if it's a dumb quesiton  Undecided If I wanted to buy more bobbins, do I have to buy specifically for my wheel or is there a certain size or what? I feel like I need more bobbins because the ADD I have when knitting seems to have crept  into my spinning now as well. I have a Louet s60 if that helps.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 08:58:15 AM by Gomerriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008 08:59:44 AM »

Jadzy- that's pretty impressive for you first Fiber Friday. Great Job. Lufah, I can't believe you made a 6 ply yarn. I really love the colors. The Orange and purple look great with just that bit of grey.
This week I made Manic, a super bulky rainbow and hot pink yarn. It's blindingly bright,lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008 09:08:51 AM »

I hope it's okay to ask this, sorry if it's a dumb quesiton  Undecided If I wanted to buy more bobbins, do I have to buy specifically for my wheel or is there a certain size or what? I feel like I need more bobbins because the ADD I have when knitting seems to have crept  into my spinning now as well. I have a Louet s60 if that helps.
Yes you should buy bobbins for you wheel, most wheels take different size bobbins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
cottondeer
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008 09:15:08 AM »

First up, an art yarn I spun for the Fiber Friday group on Ravelry. The mod gives a theme on Friday and then people post their yarns on that theme during the week. Last week was "Ocean", so I spun this, "Atocha":

There's tons of fibers in there: flax, cotton, bamboo, a couple of different hand dyed rovings, some turquoise mill ends, black alpaca, silk, mohair, silver glitz. Oh, and recycled turquoise nylon from a pair of vintage tights!

Here's a swatch:

Another yarn I spun this week is from a roving I dyed a long time ago, called "Sea Juice". I tried out the technique of spinning a thick single, fulling and then spinning in the opposite direction. It worked really well!

And lastly, here's some Corriedale I dyed with Kool-Aid and Wiltons; it's for a feather and fan shawl. I'm going to ply it with a brown Corriedale single:

Great yarns this week, everyone! I <3 Fiber Friday.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 09:15:54 AM by cottondeer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cottondeer's Etsy
Free Domestic Shipping through March 31!
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008 09:47:54 AM »

Lovely yarns everybody ! I love all your colorful yarns. Here is what I have done this week : some green (commercial dyed) merino to knit a beret. Nothing fancy but I like that color and it suits me fine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Upgrade Your Beauty Bag for $15 or Less
Legendary Colorist Christophe Robin Gets Frank About Cannes
How to Get the Princess Look For Prom
Must Try Face Oils For A Perfect Complexion
How to Create a Mila Kunis-Inspired Nude Lip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...