A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: She wants a skirk--I need help  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laylasloane
« on: January 17, 2008 08:52:08 PM »

My 4 year old told me she wants a pretty pink skirk (skirt). I have a pink dress that is way too big for me and I kept it to use for fabric, but I have no idea how to go about making a skirt for her. Any help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008 03:37:26 PM »

The glory of sewing for toddlers & small children is they are pretty much straight up & down, no hips to worry about.

Does she want a specific type of skirt? If not cut a rectangle at least 1 1/2 times her waist measurement & the length you want (my 3 yr old this is 12 inches plus seam allowance) Sew the short ends together, sew a casing in the waist, run elastic, hem & done. Easy huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laylasloane
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008 01:39:12 PM »

She didn't say a specific kind, just something pretty and pink. The dress I have is one that has three layers to the skirt, so it's kind of flowy which I am sure she would love because she loves to dance and twirl. So I was thinking of using the bottom of one of the layers as the  bottom of her skirt so it would twirl and such.
It's been awhile since I did a casing, so that will take some effort but I think the rest should be pretty easy.
Thanks for the tips, I'm new to the idea of sewing without a store bought pattern it is so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008 05:03:27 PM »

No Smiley A casing is just like a hem, but folded over further. They really are not hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 02:28:26 PM »

I made a quick'n'dirty tutorial for a simple a-line skirt... can be used for children or adults!! I hope it's clear enough, if you have any questions at all just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to oblige Smiley

EDIT:: I know it's really hard to read, here's a link to the image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/invadernatalie/tutorial.jpg
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 02:30:44 PM by nat_attack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Roast Chestnuts
Chipotle Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe
Organic Farming in Scott Arkansas
How to Make Maple Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Straight Up BBQ Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...