A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 308,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wunderkammer in a box (dead animals ahead!)  (Read 8384 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clayfaery
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009 06:27:26 AM »

I hope it can be fixed . It's an amazing piece .

A lot of modern taxidermy artists are now using road kill and animals that have died from natural causes . I've lways wanted to learn it !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yellie

The sounds of war are drowned out by our heartbeat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009 06:57:52 PM »

I also thought this: "He is now dancing on the top of the "mystery box" with his own skin." was very clever.
your box of wonders is very interesting and it would be even better to inspect it up close.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only comprehensible thing about the universe is that it's completely incomprehensible-Albert

Please vote for me to win a yoga scholarship by clicking the heart icon (ends 3/31):
http://www.findyoga.com/message-board/free-training-contest-317/set-an-intention-be-courageous-be-healthy-be-happy
fuzzymonkey
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2009 05:29:58 AM »

cool AND creepy! i am too squeamish to do something like this myself, but i'm impressed. the stitched up rat made me think, wouldn't it be kind of cool to open up the chest of a little rat and put in clockwork parts? I'm suggesting it to you 'cause i couldn't do it myself, but you definitely could...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well, i ain't often right, but i've never been wrong, seldom turns out the way it does in the song;
once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2009 11:43:04 AM »

Just wanted to say this is wonderful!
And I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and, IMHO, the reason many people are squeamish is that we don't have a connection to where our food comes from anymore. DH is a cook in the USCG and people won't eat chicken unless it's skinless and boneless because they don't want to be reminded that they're eating a dead animal.

I think this is wonderful, my great-grandfather was a taxidermist and I love that there are still people who are practicing the art. (My mom was the one who painted the colors onto them after he mounted them!)

AWESOME job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
ars_anima
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009 06:42:01 PM »

Thanks guys! before answering those comments...

FINAL UPDATE!!!

After the 6 hour trip to sept-les, I went directly to the museum to assess the damage and repair what I could. The damage was worst than I expected, but after 2 hours with a hot glue gun and the help and fuckin' huge pocket knife of the museum director, I managed to put it back in a acceptable way. There was glue streaks everywhere, things weren't where they were supposed to be, the dried rat had cracks all over, but I put some mesh I had on hand in front of the box to hide most of the defects so it could be shown.

It didn't look as good as when I made it, and the lighting sucked, but the trip with my friends and other artists was definitively worth it.

Now as for why it is a final update, well I got it back from sept-iles a few days ago. The jars containing the skinned rat and rat organs were leaking, the dried rat was crushed, the stuffed rat was ripped in pieces, pieces of wood were loose, and the lighting inside the box didn't work anymore.

I salvage the parts I could and threw the rest in the trash, so all that remains now is the pictures I took of it and a few elements that weren't broken. It sucks, but it makes a good story to tell  Tongue

------------------

Nataluna: Some people don't care if they do their jobs wrong, I guess...

Babbetto: Thanks!

Clayfaery: If the pet of one of your friends die (of natural causes, of course), why not offer it? Either they'll enjoy the thought, or they'll think you're completely creepy. Both are great IMO!

Yelli: unfortunately nobody will have the chance anymore. Thanks for your comment!

fuzzymonkey: Now THAT is something i've got to try. A steampunk rat! I'm getting all worked up just thinking about it. Thanks!

Selkie: You're totally right about the loss of connection with our food. Being the son of a hunter, I've learned to know how nature works, and what it means to kill to feed yourself and your family. I also learned to waste nothing when an animal is killed, which is one of the reason why I teach myself taxidermy.

I'd love to meet a serious taxidermist and discuss a bit about that job; Tanning and stuffing large animals must be much more interesting than stuffing rats!

thanks for your comment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
monster
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009 11:28:27 AM »

oooOOOOoooh!  i love your wunderkammer!  i've invited my friends over to make curiosities this weekend.  i've wanted animal specimens, but i never considered the pet food freezer.  and i like the magnifiers.  i'm going to have to steal that idea too.  just brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009 09:44:35 PM »

this is great, and you are awesome for making it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009 11:14:36 PM »

That is insanely amazing. Sucks what happened to it.
Mystery box of own skin, my mind can go so many places with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010 04:45:15 PM »

God, this is gross.
You make the best stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Flowers
How to Crochet Magical Granny Squares
Squeeze and Solitude - AHEC and RCA Collaboration
Pumpkin Carving Ideas and Techniques
How to Use Everyday Items to Protect Book Covers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...