A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reverse applique of my sister, tapestry and crime  (Read 1520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

measuringtape_worm
« on: January 09, 2005 11:16:19 PM »

since this is my first post ever on here i thought i'd show some stuff i've worked on recently. 

the first piece is a reverse applique portrait of my younger sister. i also dyed different fabrics several shades of yellow (her favourite colour) to create the layers. then using mostly a seamripper carefully cut out the shapes to make the right shades and layered pieces i fitted it all together.

i thought it would have been harder then it was. cutting out the image is alot like making a stencil, you have to think about the negative space alot.

here it is  Kiss

the next project was a tapestry piece based on a great image from crimethinc. its a child walking on a beach and can be found in their "fighting for our lives" zine. heres the actual image...

heres the tapestry  Wink

yeah! my first post! i'm so excited about this thing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
teri
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005 09:12:57 AM »

Wow!!!! your sister must be thrilled with the portrait you did of her.  Im not quite sure i understand how you did it. Would you mind explaining it a bit more? Your tapestry is beautiful as well.  Welcome to Craftster and  i look forward to seeing more of your stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged
measuringtape_worm
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005 11:03:33 AM »

thanks so much!  Cheesy

the reverse applique is basically four layers of yellow fabric. i layed them out before sewing them together, for the back piece i didnt cut anything, i drew her face on a piece of tissue paper and cut out everything,like the shape of her face, glasses, mouth, nose etc. i also cut out the shading on the tissue paper because there was shading in the picture i was using. so, i labelled the pieces of the tissue paper with a 1, 2, 3 or 4. 1 being the lightest and 4 being the darkest. then cut out the pieces of fabric that corresponded with the numbers on the tissue paper. for example, the lightest coloured part of the face was a 1 on the tissue paper drawing of her face. and the shading by her chin and neck was a 2 and a 3. the nostril would be a 4. the embellishments were embroidery and machine embroidery.  Tongue

i hope that makes sense. it was harder to explain then it was to make it seems. let me know if thats a little clearer. thanks again for the compliments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty666
u little rippaa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005 02:07:42 PM »

omg these are awseome!

loving em! good work!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

proud of my life, and the things that i have done
proud of myself, and the loner i've become
you're free to whine, it will not get you far
i do just fine, my car and my guitar
-Say Anything
crumpet
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005 03:32:59 PM »

I love your work.  Especially the applique of your sister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiemarie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005 03:38:53 PM »

The second image is copywrighted by a famous photographer, it's not the work of crimethinc, I'll see if I can find his name.  I only know because it is one of my favorite photographs.  I will look up his name next time i go home so proper credit can be given Smiley
Other than that, I love what you did with both pieces! especially the first one!
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

measuringtape_worm
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005 05:52:20 PM »

oh wow, i didnt know that. its in the crimethinc zine so i assumed they did most of the art work. thanks for letting me know
THIS ROCKS   Logged
havilah

If you ask me how I amIll say Im fine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005 01:40:10 AM »

I dig your textile work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Its easier to lie than stand emotionally bare.
jujyfruit
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005 12:27:43 PM »

those are awesome! i love fine art on fabric. do you ever do any batiks? i bet you could do some really amazing stuff with batiked applique. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crescentfresh
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005 08:56:59 PM »

crimethinc really doesnt care about copywriting so its easily to mistake something for theirs, well...because its just art...someone created it, and chose to show the world, do you really need to have your name on it for it to have a purpose or to make an impact? ah  yeah stuff like that. great work by the way- didnt understand how you did the tapesrty but ill let it be what it is-beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frozen Bean Curd Soup With Shrimps
Shrimp and Chicken Dumplings
Homemade Chinese Noodles
How to Make Wonton Soup
How to Cook Chinese Food
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...