A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ANY sock KAL anyone?  (Read 5393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooshie
« on: January 17, 2008 09:26:40 AM »

I have a pair of fuzzy feet that I need to make for DH, these are basically just very large socks that are then felted, so I count them as socks.  then I want to knit some real socks.  I've died half my yarn for them, today I plan to dye the rest of it.  I have even picked out my patern:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTbaudelaire.html

aren't they pretty!? 

so, as soon as I finish these fuzzy feet, and dye my yarn I'll be casting on for these. I'll also be knitting these 2 at a time in order to avoid 2nd sock syndrome.

anyone else want to join me with whatever socks you'll be making?  I thought it'd be fun to share our socks!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flaky

A fundamentally amoral use of faux fur.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008 03:41:30 PM »

I LOOOOVE socks - yay. 

I am making a pair of monkeys right now so I'll use those as my KAL if thats ok. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008 03:51:41 PM »

wow! you're way ahead of me! lol

that looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008 10:23:38 AM »

ok, I'm casting on for DH's slippers today, I decided that they really ARE socks, so I'm just gonna start this KAL with those, and do my socks after the slippers are done.  anyone want to join me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetNinja
Meow

My ravelry username is CitrusFruits!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008 01:09:43 PM »

I am having second sock syndrome with this pattern:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTbacktobasics.html
I am hope to get it done before the winter is over, lol!   Grin  I can't wait to see what your fuzzy feet look like.  What yarn are you using?  Speaking of which, I'm using skacel trampoline sock yarn (That might be close to that actual name.... or not), and it is in tigery colors.  I should probably post a picture of the first one soon......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
My  Ravlery username is Citrus fruits!
"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
-Steven Wright
redwitch
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008 11:32:22 PM »

Great idea! I am most of the way through my first Pomatomus sock, going slow because I am distracted by knitting a present for someone. Doing one toe-up, one top-down so the scales are symmetrical... toe-up one first so I can use up all/most of the wool instead of having leftover bits. Hand-dyed by moi. Greenish. I am loving these already... hope the second one goes faster, the twisted ribbing is a bit awkward even though I knit Continental. Pictures on the weekend maybe...

Love the Monkeys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flaky

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008 05:14:53 AM »

such a smartie, redwitch!  I never would have thought to knit one toe-up & the other cuff down for the pomatomus socks!   I want to try those soon & will keep that little trick in mind.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008 08:28:23 AM »

redwitch, is there a pic of this pattern somewhere?  I'm confused as to why you'd want to do the socks that way, but if I saw a picture maybe I'd understand.  sounds really cool though. 

my slippers are nearing completion.  I may have them ready to be felted by today.  we'll have to see how it goes.  I have several inches on the instep, and then the toe decreases left to knit, but they're both on one circ, and it's very simple, so I'm hopeful.  I'll have to post pics soon Smiley

I'm glad you all have joined me in this.

here's a pic of these slippers on the needles 2 at a time. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008 11:51:02 AM by mooshie - Reason: add photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008 08:36:52 PM »

Pomatomus from Knitty.com, way cute... you will see what I mean! If you want to do the similar heel flap, flaky, in the toe-up one (rather than subbing a short-row heel) let me know I will try to work out what I did and post it, it's a pretty good replica of the top-down one IMO.
Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008 07:31:28 AM »

OH! I get it now.  I would love to do these. could you post what you did when you have a chance?  I won't be making them immediately or anything, but I would love to do them some day!

oh and I'll be felting DH's fuzzy feet today! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008 09:42:25 AM »

well, DH's fuzzy feet are finished, and they fit! that's a big plus because I felted them while he was at work.  I will post a pic, but I want to get one with them on his feet I think.  I'll post that as soon as I can get one, he's not here right now. 

and I hope to be casting on for my "real" socks by next week! 

happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flaky

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008 01:45:18 PM »

two little monkeys covering my toes:

I used Maizy yarn - which is made primarily of corn.  How bizzare!   The yarn was splitty & a little difficult to work with - but I *can* put it in the washer/dryer - which earns it bonus points. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008 06:48:45 PM »

flaky,
those look great!! they're cuter on your feet IMHO.  good job!  where'd you find your yarn, that corn thing sounds cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flaky

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008 05:15:57 AM »

Thank you!!!   Maizy made by Crystal Palace & was just at my LYS.  I thought it was relatively inexpensive for sock yarn - I think it was about $6 per skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milwjamie
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008 10:35:13 AM »

Hey! I'd love to join too!
Was actually looking to see if anyone else was making the fishnet knee highs from Lingerie Style Knitting (my current fave knitting book).
I started sock #1 two days ago. It is the farthest I have gotten on making any sort of sock!!

I found someone else's FO on a blog here:
http://sewnice.blogspot.com/2007/09/fishnet-knee-highs-knitting-lingerie.html
Heck, they might be here on craftster, I am not sure though! If they are I hope they don't mind me posting this link.

The pair I am working on are basic black, knitted in Eden's 100% bamboo. The yarn is super nice feeling but it does have a tendency to split. And lucky for me (not) I will probably have to make a trip to the yarn shop as I think 3 balls won't be enough to finish these up.
I'll try to post a pic when the first one is done!! Hopefully it will be tonight or tomorrow  Grin  I am such a nerd because I want to finish them before we go see Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow in Chicago next week!
Can't wait to see how your socks are going  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008 08:43:55 AM »

those look like cool socks! happy to have you join us Smiley  I"ll be casting on for my socks as soon as my yarn arrives.  I decided to order something rather than use what I currently have.  hehe  oh pics of fuzzy feet are on their way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milwjamie
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008 08:23:00 PM »

Well I finished sock #1 on Sunday, so that rocks!! But now on to sock #2...ugh! Will post photo when I get a chance!! How are everyone else's socks doing??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008 08:51:11 PM »

my yarn still hasn't arrived.  BUT I've got pics of fuzzy feet, I just can't load them on this computer.  I'm hoping to see some yarn tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008 08:11:06 PM »

Finished one Pom last night, have not cast off because I want to do a few extra rows on the ribbing if I can, but won't know whether I have enough until I finish the other one. It's tight but I like my socks tight... but it's really tight! Hopefully a wash will fix that. Anyone have a suggestion for casting off in twisted single ribbing? I am thinking about twisting every knit stitch and then doing a normal tubular castoff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008 12:27:35 PM »

I finally got that pic onto my computer! so here's DH's fuzzy feet.  pay no attention to the holes on the side.  DH's feet are huge! so I think the slippers streatched out a little bit when he put them on, and this yarn felts beautifully, but I was using really big needles for this yarn. so I think the combination of it all made the holes appear.  there aren't any on the other 2 pair  I made, but they're smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008 06:57:30 PM »

my sock yarn arrived today! Smiley so I'll be starting my socks shortly! Smiley 

how are everyone else's socks coming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008 06:19:37 PM »

I'm in! I'm currently on my 4th and 5th pair of socks for '08 (3 pairs of finished plain stockinette socks - one pair each for hubby, DD and a pair for myself).

My two pairs in progress are a pair of Monkeys (one repeat and toe left to knit on first sock) and a pair of Jaywalkers (half way done the leg). I'm hoping to have the whole pair of Monkeys finished by the end of next weekend Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
mooshie
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008 02:21:57 PM »

wow! that's a lot of socks! I've gotten about 1/2 way done with my firtst toe so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tygra
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008 07:43:04 PM »

i'm in! Smiley

i'm actually on the second sock of my first pair ever!
i'll try to take pictures later this week of the first sock and my progress on the second.
i must warn you though, they are very boring and plain.
i'm already vowing to never make such a boring stockinette leg AND instep ever again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

übercherry goodies make you feel übercheery inside!
http://ubercherry.com
http://ubercherry.blogspot.com
mooshie
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008 01:02:14 PM »

so far I have gotten my socks both onto one long circ, and am knitting them both at once using Magic Loop.  I'm just about to start the heel.  how are everyone else's socks comming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008 12:29:03 PM »

I'm finally working on the heel of my socks.  I didn't knit all weekend.  but they're getting there.  how's everyone else's comming?  any pics yet? I can't wait to wear mine.  I'm hoping to wear them out on valentines day.  I'd better hurry huh?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008 08:25:20 PM »

I finished my socks tonight! even have them on my feet right now. but I can't take pics until my camera's dead battery is done charging.  they turned out pretty good for a first pair I think,  I haven't blocked them yet, and I did get a little "laddering" from using the circular needle.  I think I should've used a longer one.  but since they're lacey socks it doesn't seem to matter too much. Smiley  I'm happy with them.  I'll post pics when my camera is operational again. Smiley
how are everyone else's socks coming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milwjamie
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008 07:30:27 AM »

Hey! Finally stopping back in.. Yeah I got 2nd sock syndrome... but was helping my fiance's mom cast on/work on a toe last night for the same socks I am making, so it has made me (finally!) want to finish sock 2! So I think that is my project for this morning Smiley
Glad to see everyone's socks going well, and that mooshie's sock yarn finally arrived!! YAY!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lunatic84
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008 06:50:36 AM »

Hey all!  I think I am going to join my first KAL!  I just learned to knit a few weeks ago, and I just finished my first sock! Yay!  I decided to start small with f.pea's footies ( http://fpea.blogspot.com/2007/04/free-pattern-friday-footies.html ).  I'm using Paton's Kroy in tutti fruitti jaquard and it looks great!!!  I just finished weaving in the ends and I am about to cast on for the second sock...I've been warned that if you don't cast on right away you never will!  I will post a pic as soon as I find the cable for my camera....I think I may have to clean to find it  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amdm
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008 08:32:53 AM »

I am so impressed by your knitting skills. Although I have been knitting for decades, I have never learned to knit in the round, nor can I do grafting. BUT I love knitted socks, so I make the cheater's version - knitted on 2 needles, with the toes cast off and sewn together. I know that the circular, grafted versions would be much sleeker and more elegant, but I still love my socks.
        I am waiting eagerly to see  photos of more socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lunatic84
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008 05:32:07 PM »

Ok, I finally have found my cord!  Here is my very first sock!

love to hear your comments about it...working on the second one now Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008 05:33:30 PM by Lunatic84 - Reason: better pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008 11:20:10 AM »

lunatic84,
those look great! I love the colors.  I actually want to make some simmilar socks.  how long did that first sock take you? it seems that short socks would go quite fast Smiley

*sigh* I still haven't blocked my socks, but I like to cheat so I don't think I'll block them hehe.  so I'll just post pics of my socks when I can get them in the same room with the camera. 

and, I have another pair that I whipped up to post too!  they're baby socks, so they went really fast, but they're still socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lunatic84
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008 02:40:30 PM »

My first sock took about a week working on it most of the day Saturday, most of Sunday and on 3 of my lunch breaks at work.  It was my first time working with yarn that small though ( I crochet, and never have worked with anything that small Tongue).  The pattern was so great, very easy to understand.  I found it worked up quite quick for my first sock.  I started the other one yesterday and only got to work on it in the car on the way home from my parent's last night (almost 2 hours) and I am already working on the decrease to begin the foot.  I'm a little upset that the stripes aren't exactly the same way as the other sock...I even cut about 4 feet so that I would be starting with the same amount of the starting colour.  On the plus side...I still have quite a bit of the skein of Paton's that I started with!
I can't remember if I posted the pattern or not, but here it is just in case:
http://fpea.blogspot.com/2007/04/free-pattern-friday-footies.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lunatic84
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008 08:15:47 PM »

Woo Hoo!!  I just (literally just cut the yarn and weaved in the ends) my first pair of socks!!!  I'll post pics as soon as I can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tygra
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008 10:04:31 PM »

ok, so i am *FINALLY* posting some pix of my socks in progress.....

here's the way the first one started:

and here's how it turned out:

i'm very happy with that first sock! it fits like a ~*dream*~ and the colours are really pretty.

however........as previously mentioned the whole row after row after ROW of plain knitting made me go a little batty and subsequently abandon the second sock.

but i've dragged it back out again and i vow to finish it by the end of march.
i've placed it in a spot near the television so that i can see it every time i sit down and it will taunt and shame me into working on it while watching stuff.
hopefully this strategy works, lol.

here's what i have so far on the second one...

i'm using fleece artist "best merino sock" yarn.
it's delicious to work with.
and i'm using the pattern on the back of the label, which is a great first pattern.
i've shortened the ribbed cuff as you can see, but everything else follows the pattern as written.

how is everyone else doing?

Lunatic84 - your sock looks great! i can't wait to see how the second one turns out for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

übercherry goodies make you feel übercheery inside!
http://ubercherry.com
http://ubercherry.blogspot.com
Lunatic84
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008 12:39:27 PM »

I love the colours of your socks tygra!!!

Here are the pics of mine:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
colorlessblue
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008 03:43:28 PM »

i just finished my first pair. i started it before i saw this KAL, and i'll post about tomorrow, when i have good pics, but i'll join the KAL with some jaywalkers monkeys that, i foresee, will take too long to finish.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008 04:18:52 AM by colorlessblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
mooshie
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008 02:34:37 PM »

ok, sorry this took so long.  I haven't loaded pics from my camera in 2 months eek!  but here are my first socks.
pattern: baudelaire from knitty: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTbaudelaire.html
yarn: essential sock yarn from KP in burgundy. 2 skeins w/ some left.
alterations.  I didn't make them as long as the pattern, and they're a little looser than I wanted.  but I love them

and here's a pair I knit for one of the twins.  I don't know the yarn real well, it was acrylic, and actually more of a DK weight than fingering weight, and I made up the pattern as I went, maybe I'll post it sometime if someone is interrested.
here's toddler socks:
I don't have an action shot. they still won't keep socks on their feet long enough to get a picture.

I've already started on another pair for me.  I'm making this one up as I go too, and I'm a little past the toe.  they'll either be short socks, or ankle socks.  I'll post pics of them hopefully soon

tygra, I love your sock.  can't wait to see the other one. 

Lunatic84, your socks are so cute. they're actually what inspired me to make my short socks. what's up next for socks for you?  you're a pro!

colorlessblue, I'd love to see your monkeys.  let us know when you cast on Smiley

toodles for now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainiable
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008 09:31:05 PM »

mooshie, your socks are lovely! That baudelaire pattern looks difficult.

I think I might have time this weekend to make socks! (They're my favorite things to knit, but I haven't in ages!) I'm going away for the weekend and I can't bring my sewing machine, so I've gotten my yarn and DPNs all ready... I can't wait! I hope I haven't forgotten the basics Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008 10:28:43 AM »

can't wait to see what you get done this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lunatic84
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008 06:14:18 PM »

I think I am going to cast on 2 different pairs of socks tomorrow on the drive to my parent's house.  I'm making socks and/or mittens for everyone for Easter this year, so I better get going, 3 more pairs to go lol.  I think I am going to modify the Patons Kroy Jaquard and Stripes socks into short socks for my mom and Briggs and Little heavy socks for my Dad...not sure what to make my boyfriend though!  Any ideas?  He hates thick socks lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008 08:29:23 AM »

well I've finished the first sock in a pair of ankle socks.  I'm making this one up as I go, so I wanted to be sure this would work b-4 commiting to 2 socks! LOL  I'll post pics when the 2nd one is done since I decided I like the 1st one enough to make a 2nd.  the 2nd one is almost 1/2 way through the toe so far.  how are everyone else's socks comming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainiable
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008 08:43:52 AM »

well, I've finished everything except the kitchener stitch for the toes, and it looks like that has to wait until I go home to my needles next week.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008 10:29:04 AM »

ok, I finished my socks!  they're so cozy feeling. and they turned out just right for me I think.  There's a picture on my blog here:
http://michellesdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/03/socks.html
(sorry I thought I loaded the pics on photobucket, but I didn't so I can't get to them from this computer)

they're the last ones on that post.  the green ones. enjoy!

how are everyone else's socks comming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colorlessblue
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008 01:39:20 PM »

ooops, i forgot to check! mooshiem i cast on the monkeys right after i wrote here, but seeing as i was unexcited about it, i didn't comment. and i thought i'd be over the first one fast, and would post one complete sock already, but i got distracted with other knits and just let it over my bed... the pattern is great, of course, my lack of enthusiasm comes from the fact that i used it for a cell phone cozy already, so it's no challenge for me... and the yarn is the same that i used for pomatomus. (i didnt know how much i'd need and bought 2 balls. turns out one ball is enough for one pair, with a little bit of leftovers).
so right now i'm a little past the gusset.
i love everybody else's socks, though! and i have a baudelaire on queue, because i wanted to try alpaca yarn, no matter everybody in the world telling me it is too warm for the tropics, so i ordered a ball to make black alpaca baudelaires for my friend who lives in an alpaca farm in usa! and, because i'm stubborn as a donkey, i ordered a pink ball too, to make _something_ for myself. probably hedera.
heh. and that's because i don't like knitting socks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
mooshie
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008 08:40:22 PM »

well, I'm working on another pair of socks, but I've stalled on them for a while.  I thought maybe checking up with others might help motivate me to finish these socks.  they're the Chevrolace socks from knitty.com, here's a link to the pattern:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTchevrolace.html
but I don't have the right yarn and needles for the pattern, so I changed the stitch number on the pattern to fit my feet with the yarn/needles I do have.  So my socks don't look exactly like the pattern, but I still like how they're comming along.  I need to get these done too, because I have 2 skeins of hand dyed yarn that I want to work with!  but I need my needle from these socks to knit the others! LOL 

so who else is working on socks that needs encouragement?  please join me! Smiley
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Image Quality Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Manual Mode (M)
Canon SD770 IS: Set ISO Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Format Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Flash Function
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...