A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wool picker question  (Read 15354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lazykitty
« on: January 17, 2008 07:34:45 AM »

Who owns a wool picker? Are they really that useful? They sound especially good for using on shortstapled/highcrimp fiber. I have Ryeland lambswool and after washing it's still a lot of work opening up the fiber by hand, before I put it through the drumcarder, which doesn't like it much. It's a very bouncy kind of wool.
I want to make a wool picker myself (they are not available here as far as I know and ordering from the USA would be a considerable hassle) and construction seems fairly simple. I could really use some input on this before I start sawing, drilling and wounding myself (it's a dreadful tool isn't it, all those spiky things).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008 10:22:15 AM »

Wool pickers tease the locks open so that they can be spun from the lock or carded/combed. If you have tons and tons of wool it makes sense to get one, but if its just a pound or two I would reccomend just buying a strauch teasing tool which is a flat clamped hand card like tool that you can use to open the lock and remove VM.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
lazykitty
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008 04:08:52 AM »

Uhm, it's more than a few pounds of wool and the teasing tool would be the same as my handcards clamped to the table. I have already made some drawings of the construction of a wool picker, but unfortunately the tines that are normally used are unavailable but I guess hardened steel nails will do the job as well. To be continued.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008 09:53:27 AM »

I own a picker.  It's something...  Something vicious, something massive, something huge.   Wink

I'd say it's sort of an 80% opening locks tool, not really a magic instrument.  But it can do a pound in about 15 minutes (I'm guessing?) And that leaves much less to have tease open than doing it by hand.  I guess some people enjoy teasing, but not me, so, I'm all for the faster way, even if you have to go back through with a teasing comb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misfitknits
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008 01:28:56 PM »

there is a website called www.woolpicker.net that sells pickers that are more affordable and also are little more space-saving for $200. i understand shipping a heavy item esp outside the us would be expensive, but for the money you would save on price, the shipping would be worth it in my opinion *considering other pickers go for $400- $500 us*! their customer reviews are all good to great, i'm going to buy one actually, in my opinion pickers are definately worth it, i buy pounds of raw fleece at a time, and the time saved by teasing is considerable, picking is so FAST! also, i had bought a washed fleece from a VERY reputable seller, and when i got it, it was felted and matted, very dissappointing, but i took it to a local shop, and they picked it SUPER fast, in one pass, so you can also salvage a fleece, that you would NEVER be able to put through a drum  carder! not to mention, that i don't even card after picking, you can spin straight from the "clouds" of picked fiber! there are also TONS of ways to do fiber blending and add-ins, as you would with a carder * such as, different fibers, angelina, bits of fabric, scraps of yarn, some of which I would never put through my carder for fear of ruining the quite expensive carding cloththe possibilities are endless!* in my opinion, pickers are just another option for fiber processing that gives you more freedom in the TYPES of yarn you can spin. i own a drum carder and though i love it, i will also be purchasing a picker soon because i like experience ALL the possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008 02:12:32 PM »

Misfitknits, I saw the same wool picker on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10510247

It's really an interesting box-type design...looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to replicate, if you're interested in constructing your own.  I like how the design contains all the evil sharp bits...looks a little safer than some other pickers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008 02:20:24 PM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
misfitknits
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008 09:31:41 PM »

oh yeah, i totally forgot they were on etsy! duh, i'm a seller there, i totally should've remembered that one first! the only thing is, for some reason, the shipping on etsy is $25, and the shipping on their website is only $15, have no idea why, but i don't what it would be for overseas?

you're right though, the tines are less exposed compared to the swinging-type pickers (the ones we're talking about are called "sled pickers") and that is an important quality, i have seen a swinging picker in action, and had to be RIGHT under it to pick out anything that needed to pu through again, can you say "close encounter to DEATH!!! this style is much more safe, especially for those like me who have young ones running around, not to mention, sliding it under a bed or table or what-have-you, these are all reasons i am buying the sled style!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lazykitty
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008 09:44:18 AM »

Update! Someone on Ravelry was really kind and sent me copies of plans, so now I should know what I'm doing  Grin! But I still haven't had time to make one yet. I will try to make it a bit smaller and see if the top can be detached for easy storage. Kind of a fold-away minipicker.
The box does seem a lot safer then the swinging type though. But I already designated a pair of worn out suede boots to make myself a pair of vambraces/wristprotectors, because I even managed to hurt myself with handcards (wild-card-ing haha).
This week I received a very nice combing station (find here http://www.wollwolff.de/ and look for Kämmstation, number of tine rows can be changed, whoopieeee....) so things are really getting dangerous in this house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misfitknits
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008 12:05:45 PM »

how lucky you are to be able to MAKE a picker! i would do it if it weren't for time, money, tools, etc! and wow, thanks to the link for that german site! what amazing hand made tools! but wow, google translation didn't work very well, so i really couldn't understand anything! how did you ever order from this site? bc i may be interested in ordering in the future! and that combing station is freaking spectacular!!!! unfortunately, i just ordered the majacraft complete combing set, or i may have ordered the one you got; well, depending on price, was it pretty steap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lazykitty
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008 04:50:41 AM »

I love making my own stuff, although sometimes it takes a lot of time before I actually start the work itself. Collecting proper tools over time is an investment. Collecting scrapwood is a must (and cheap!).And I have a great personal backup in case it doesn't work out the way I want it. My BF is a carpenter and the rest of his family are pretty handy too   Tongue

Mr. Schönwolff does understand English, so if you want information you can send him an email (Kontakt, top right on the website). Shipment to the U.S. may be pricey though. But I live in the country next to his so for me it is cheap. You can use any currency converter on the net to see if prices are too high for you. They include Vat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Sharing Your Digital Photos Online
How to Buy a Digital SLR
Exposure, Shutter Speeds and Aperture
Information About ISO and Light Settings
How to Select a Digital Camera for Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...