A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Twirls - Special McDonald's Dress (w/semi-tute)  (Read 2906 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaymadben
« on: January 16, 2008 09:00:38 PM »

So I've been making these double layer twirly dresses with attached pettiskirt and matching ruffled pants. I love how full they are and of course my daughter loves twirling in them. They just take forever to make compared to my easy dresses I'm used to making. On to pics:
Blue Floral Dress

Pink Paisley Dress

McDonald's Dress

Hope you enjoy!
Comments Welcome!

Semi-Tute/How to make your own at bottom of page 1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 07:56:39 PM by kaymadben » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
hotfudge
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008 09:10:58 PM »

Cute.  Love the pink paisley one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CupcakeChelsea

Personal Swap Friendly! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008 09:42:31 PM »

Those are adorable! I love the McDonald's one!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Today I woke up feeling lovely, happiness overflowin' knowin' somebody loves me."

Hi I'm Chelsea, I'd love to meet you!
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008 11:50:13 PM »

really cute dresses for a beautiful girl*

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
maliceson
Queen of the midnight thrift store heists

Bite Size

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008 12:10:24 AM »

i wanna make one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ali

I like makin' my own clothes, wanna make a quilt,  wish I knew how to knit, and just started making jewelry...where am I gonna go from here?
starrrdust143

Mmm...caloric intake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008 12:55:31 PM »

Those are way cute.  I have the orange version of your pink paisley.  I saw the pink not too long ago.  But when I went to pick up the bolt, my husband shot me the "we are not waiting in THAT cutting line" look.  So me no have none. *pout*  but really love what you've done with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashionable frocks and vogue vintage  for the modish misses http://www.AvaAmin.etsy.com

Come be my friend!
http://www.myspace.com/avaamin
kaymadben
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008 04:30:51 PM »

These are really easy to make, they just take about 5 hours for both dress and pants. I only have 3 pattern pieces for dress: Bodice, straps, skirt. 2 for pants: front and back.

First you start with McCalls 4814. (Wait til McCall's patterns are on sale for $1.00) Now I lost the pattern for the back of the bodice but it's pretty much the same as front so I just cut the front out twice. I cut out 2 of bodice in fabric (front/back), 2 of bodice in lining (can be fabric or something solid), 2 skirts of fabric, 2 skirts of contrasting for pettiskirt. For straps, I've been making them longer where I can tie them for growth purposes. If you do that, you need 4 of fabric and 4 of contrast. If you are just sewing them to front and back then do 2 of each. For ruffle on pettiskirt I cut (4) strips of fabric the width of the fabric that are 4" long on my rotary board. So 4 X 44ish.

To Sew: sew both skirts together at sides. Hem fabric skirt. Add Ruffle to bottom of pettiskirt. Sew fabric bodice at underarms. Sew Lining bodice at underarms. Pin fabric bodice and lining bodice wrong sides together. Sew your straps wrong sides together and turn right side out. Pin them to bodice making sure they are the right way. Sew from underarm edge around the top of bodice to other underarm bodice and then again. Turn over. Put gathers in each skirt and sew fabric skirt to fabric bodice and pettiskirt to lining bodice. That way the inside of your dress looks pretty.

*Note about this pattern* I cut this pattern out in size 3 and use 5/8" seams on bodice when sewing under the arms and it's pretty roomy for my 4 yr old who wears 4T/5T. I've heard the same from other people who used this pattern too. So if the first one you sew is too big then when you put the bodice on the fold, move it over an inch or so off the fold. Make Sense?

For pants, just use any pants pattern and cut a 4 inch strip and ruffle it. Sew it on. Hope that helps.

The pink one was on clearance for $3 and then half off that at Joanns, the McD's was like $2 at Walmart, and the blue floral one was at Joann's for $3 too I think. The solid fabric is some broadcloth you can get at Joann's, Hobby Lobby etc for $2 a yd for cheap stuff and $6.99 a yd for high quality stuff when I used with a 50 % coupon. You need about a yard and a half of fabric and yard and a half of pettiskirt fabric.

Now get to sewing those Big Twirly Dresses for your little princesses. Each dress cost under $7 to make for all you crafty mommas out there. And I've made them out of curtains, full size vintage sheets, and several fabrics together found in remnant bin. Any questions feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 04:34:59 PM by kaymadben » THIS ROCKS   Logged

serendipity_sarah
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 09:23:51 PM »

Adorable dresses!  The McD's fabric is too cute!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myprecious4

Love to sew for my baby girl!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008 06:01:42 AM »

OMG, that McDonalds fabric is just too cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaymadben
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008 10:44:57 PM »

A few better pics:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hemp Bracelets
How to Choose a Jewelry Making Kit
Essential Jewelry Making Supplies
Silver Jewelry Making
Using Flex-Shaft Jewelry Tools
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...