A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Party Time, Need Appetizer Recipes!!  (Read 1473 times)
Tags for this thread: appetizer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliasgracie
« on: January 16, 2008 02:47:30 PM »

I want to plan a little party  Wink.  I love making appetizers but I need some new hip recipes.  The spinach dip in bread thingy has been over done in my family.  I want stuff I can serve cold or can prep the next day.  Please share your fave recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
Corwin

A house is not a home without a cat (or four)!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008 06:27:17 AM »

I always love the cream cheese mixed with pepper jelly or BLT Bites if you can find good cherry tomatoes right now.

16 to 20 cherry tomatoes
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and throw out pulp. Sprinkle a small amount of salt in each and invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain. In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours.

Also these are simple little bites

2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
2 packages (2-1/2 ounces each) thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup real bacon bits
2 to 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tube (10.2 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits

In a large bowl, combine the cheese, ham, mayonnaise, bacon and mustard. Split biscuits into thirds. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of ungreased miniature muffin cups. Fill each with about 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture.
Bake at 450 for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing from the pans. Serve warm

Can you tell that I love bacon!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.

Albert Schweitzer

http://www.kykitchenwitch.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/Corwin
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008 07:17:53 AM »

Making your own toasted pita chips are worlds better then the packaged ones.  And you can season them differently and make a few different kinds, savory and sweet.

Just butter the pita, season, and brown under the broiler.  I cut them into triangles after cooking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyZedral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008 07:45:34 AM »

White bean pat goes well with toasted pita chips.

Depending on how many people you are feeding you need just one or two cans of cannelini beans, drained and rinsed.

Finely chop about half of a small onion and mince 3-4 cloves of garlic (4 cloves for two cans of beans should be fine).

Saute the onions and garlic in some olive oil for a few  minutes until soft, taking care not to brown them. 

Add a dash of crushed red pepper if you want some spice.

Add your beans to that mixture and let them mix in with the other flavors.  Salt and pepper to taste. I sometimes add a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Coarsely mash the mixture with a potato masher, to keep some texture. Or you can put everything into a food processor.  Serve warm or at room temperature with pita chips.

When I make pita chips I don't salt them. I just spritz them with some olive oil spray and maybe sesame seeds, or sometimes I sprinkle them with rosemary. This compliments the beans pat well.   

I've served this for breakfast on more than one occasion too!  It's also a dinner stable for me. Delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008 02:15:47 PM »

^ thats basically the recipie for hummus, except with hummus you don't have to to cook anything.  you just throw all the ingredients into the blender.

hmmm...i dunno...you could always do lil smokies.  those are my favorite appitizers!  or just buy some frozen mozzeralla sticks and poppers and then have a few homemade items.  you could always do a meat and cheese plater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
gizmonic
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

CraftADDchick and Myklia: my fave Craftsters!

Put your helmet on, we'll be reaching speeds of 3!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008 02:49:07 PM »

What about a fruit salsa w/cinnamon chips?

INGREDIENTS

* 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
    * 2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
    * 8 ounces raspberries
    * 1 pound strawberries
    * 2 tablespoons white sugar
    * 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    * 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
    * 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
    * butter flavored cooking spray
    * 2 cups cinnamon sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
   2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
   3. Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
   4. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit and spice mixture.

You could probably substitute your favorite fruit for those you don't like.  Even use pita instead of tortillas

Have fun!

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 02:50:04 PM by gizmonic - Reason: add more words » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/)   I copied Shewolf's Fat Bunny.
( o.o )   I don't want to be eaten!
(>   <)*Buy a Bunny a Little Time http://www.rabbit.org
LUCY'S GREAT ADVENTURE: Little Visitor swap #7
Ravelry~Gizmonic
50+ Crochet Cloth-along
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=182441.0
LeesaLove
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008 04:46:36 PM »

I'm on a kabob kick lately ...
THe kiddos loved them at Christmas Party
I did cubes of boiled ham, drained pineapple chnks, little cube of mozzalella (or a cube of a string cheese half the cutting is done for you), green seedless grapes.

Also cooked totilini till aldente marinate in italina or greek type dressing mix on skewers with cubes of cheese & blanched baby carrots

seedless grapes & chunks or cheese & mellon balls.

Draggers are good too...
lay either a brick or cream cheese (softened) or a goat cheese on a plate  top woth any of the following: olive tamoanade, hummis, chopped fresh herbs, chopped mixed nuts, pepper jelly  serve with chips, cucumber slices to drag & dip.

I had this dip at a fiends house recently  it was mixing equal parts of cream cheese & chunked blue cheese. mix till well blened then add a few dashes of Franks Red Hot Sause, mix again.  you can add diced chicken or cooked shimp as well.
Pipe into washed chilled celery stalks.  It was really good.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 05:10:49 PM by LeesaLove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jammin kitty
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008 07:21:02 PM »

One of my favorite easy things to make is an Artichoke Dip.  It is warm though but thought I'd share.

1 can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
3 pkgs. of shredded parmesean cheese
1 - 8 oz. jar of Mayo (NOT salad dressing) can use 1 C. from lg. jar but I'm lazy - LOL!

Mix all ingredients and put in a microwave safe dish.  Heat until bubbly. (Can be heated in the oven if you have time but microwave is easier.)  Serve with thin slices of buttered, toasted baguettes, chips, crackers or pita chips.  Yum-o! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliasgracie
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008 06:19:02 PM »

I love you all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
TracyLee22
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008 06:32:43 PM »

my mom and i love stuffed mushroom caps, super simple we just season goat cheese with the italian spice mix and stuff a little in each cap and pop them in the oven till they are warm and gooey. that is always a hit and we like to make fondu and keep it warm in the crock pot. Also brie wrapped in crescent dough is great sometimes we smear jelly on the inside and drizzle honey on the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Best episode of 'Cops' ever made:
officer- "ma'am why do you have scissors in your pocket?"
drunk lady- "for arts, such as.... crafts?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Weight of a Whistle: Why Making Trains Means the World to Terry Giddeon
Terry_Vignette_WITH_PreRoll
DIY Flower Bouquet
Make It Easy: DIY Paper Flower Bouquet
How to Make Curved Edge Quilts with Bias Binding
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...