A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress from 3 yards  (Read 794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« on: January 16, 2008 01:52:06 PM »

I bought 3 yards of fabric to make a skirt, but I decided I want a dress instead.  I can't seem to find any pattern I like though.  It's polyester peachskin, so it's rather flowey, and 45 inches wide.  It's a little too, um, polyester for a summer dress, but I'm not sure if I have enough for anything appropriete for cooler weather.  Does anyone know of any dress patterns or tutorials that would look good for this fabric, that only require 3 yards or less?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008 02:05:41 PM »

How about a wrap dress?  The never go out of style (Diane Von Furstenberg has made her entire career making them!) and I think that the material will cling to your body and show off your shape!  3 yards should be plenty to make a wrap style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008 07:12:23 PM »

Try looking on www.Burdastyle.com plenty of free patterns for some fab dresses and remember that you can always make a shorter version of a long dress or make a mini dress that could be worn over jeans or leggings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008 10:18:38 PM »

I'm currently in love with this New Look pattern: New Look 6750, and I think it would be really pretty in your fabric.  What's neat about it is you pick the bodice and skirt of the dress separately, so you can get a ton of variations from the same pattern.  For your fabric, I like skirt D (the slightly flared one) with just about any of the tops.  Most of the variations would come out under 3 yards, depending on your size.  There are a great many dress patterns out there that would be under 3 yards, as long as you're looking for a shorter dress (knee length or so) without too full of a skirt.

Polyester peachskin isn't very heavy - I don't think it would be a bad choice for spring/summer but if you're worried about it, you could line it in cotton or rayon that might make it more comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Ashling
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008 11:55:53 PM »

That Burda site is cool, I didn't know they did that.

I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do.  I'm looking at my copy of this http://www.butterick.com/item/B4849.htm?tab=dresses&page=4 pattern as a possibility.  Even though the longest one says it requires 3 1/8 yards, I think my shortness will make up the difference. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008 05:09:42 AM »

another option:
buy a pattern you LOVE for the dress and then buy fabric that coordinates to fill the extra yardage, and change up parts of the dress (half the skirt in pink or light pink for instance)

thats what i would do..when i dont have enough of one fabric, i coordinate with another to make up enough yardage to make the RIGHT garment (cos thats what you are gonna have to wear, not that fabric really..in the end, the cut and shape of the garment are more important that the print if you arent careful)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Ashling
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008 10:12:57 AM »

That is a good point, MissDisney!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008 12:05:50 AM »

thank you! i really hope i helped, and that we get to see your finished product!!

**edited**
and i LOVE the fabric
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 12:06:18 AM by MissDisney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Ashling
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008 08:33:51 AM »

Oh, I'll definitly post pictures, though it may be a while, I tend to plod along with my projects!  Thanks for the input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starspinner

hope is a plague that should be carried with pride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008 11:32:26 AM »

you can always dress up an off the shoulder dress with a shawl or long gloves to keep your arms toastie. and if you need an extra bit of fabric for a pattern, make a band around the waist with something that compliments it. it'll give that extra curvey look Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 5/10
Latest Blog Articles
May 4, 2016 Featured Projects
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...