A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chew Toy: Can it take my dog's wrath?  (Read 5405 times)
Tags for this thread: squirrel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008 09:36:42 AM »

Good idea with the jeans, I could never get Diesel to chew on the kong, but he loves him some squeaky tennis balls esp at 3 am in the morning while bouncing on the trampoline,and my backyard looks like a serial stuffed animal killer went on a spree killing frenzy. He wont chew on shoes but all slippers are fair game. I gave up trying to own a pair of slippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
polaris082411
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008 11:56:11 PM »

i love your dog so much1!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make your home in oritental style!
http://www.discovery5000.com/chanpin.asp
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008 03:29:06 PM »

The jeans are a great idea.  I might have to give it a shot.

The devil to the left is a great disembowel-er.  She's only got carcasses left: a cow carcass, a bunny carcass (she really likes one ear in particular), a george bush carcass (woohoo), and she gave up on donald rumsfeld and completely tore him to bits after disemboweling.

Hope the jeans hold up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
heatherxxll
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008 10:15:50 PM »

Oh my gosh, I love your dog's extremely aggressive left wing tendencies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyanidejoy
haphazard seamstress

I am the fluffy singularity.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008 02:09:36 PM »

This is really neat, I wonder what else you could make the dog toys with...I hope he doesn't start chomping on your leg when you wear jeans, though.

It's odd hearing everyone talk about the kongs, my friend's dog (also a police dog, which probably says why) tears them in a few hours.  It's kind of scary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll name a city after us-and later say it's all our fault.
Lethargic
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008 05:10:26 PM »

This is a good idea. I've been trying to think of something to make dog toys out of that are nice and sturdy. I have a 7 month old shepherd/lab mix type puppy. She's around 35lbs now and has sharp little teeth of doom!  Cheesy Roll Eyes

Unfortunately the stitching is where she tears her toys apart and pulls all the stuffing out. I usually just pull the rest of the stuffing out once she has gotten a good start at it and let her play with the skin which she likes too.

I went to a Pet Expo last weekend and there was this booth of organic wool pet toys. The lady said the felted wool balls were really sturdy and hard to tear apart. I'm considering getting one. What do you guys think? I don't know much about wool or anything. But the balls were really heavy for their size.
Here is the link for the wool toys: http://www.purrfectplay.com/index.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for aprons, bento/lunch bags, jewelry, and more! http://organizedconfetti.etsy.com
mangomerle
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008 08:43:28 PM »

The only thing I've found that works for my Dad's blue heeler (she absolutely loves stuffed and squeaky things) is old fire hose. She destroys EVERYTHING else in a matter of minutes, but the toy made out of a section of old fire hose that is not longer usable for fighting fires has survived almost an entire year now and even though she killed the squeakers inside, she has yet to damage the hose itself. I don't remember where I found the toy to begin with, but I've seen old fire hoses in thrift stores sometimes and I imagine if you talk to your local stations and tell them what you need they might have something lying around you could have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008 07:02:15 PM »

Roll Eyes .........I just had to post on this............. Undecided

Unfortunately I don't think it's gonna hold up........... Undecided

I have a Parson's Russell/American Pit Bull Terrier mix........... Grin .........and recently while I was sleeping he TOTALLY DEMOLISHED a brand new pair of my husband's jeans............ Shocked Shocked Shocked

We got up the next morning and they looked like they'd been through a shredder........... Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
Mishymishy
but you can call me Liz.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008 08:26:11 AM »

I always worry about the threads in homemade toys  Undecided I don't know how you are sewing it, but I know if the doggie swallows string and it "anchors" on his insides, it can be fatal. I would take the whole leg from the jeans, stuff it and knot it on both ends. then he has a stuffy part to play with and 2 knotty parts to play with!

(hee hee I said knotty parts)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not a woman, I'm a force of nature.

Trying to crochet a star blanket but can't start it? Check out my tutorial for help!
youngka318

Fairy Tale Princess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008 01:42:52 PM »

I made something similar for my pup (and he loves to sleep with it) but it doesn't have my scent so that's a great idea since he's got some abandonment issues and cries non-stop when I leave. Thanks for the idea and let us all know how the denim works for an aggressive chewer!

P.S. I volunteer for an animal shelter and recently had to go out to an individually owned store to advertise but the store had amazing dog toys made especialy for aggressive chewers.  They were all kinds of shapes/sizes/colors and made entirely of digestible wool so that hardcore chewers can easily pass the fabric if swallowed.  Also, they advertised leashes/collars/etc. made by a company that will replace free-of-charge the item if it happens to be chewed or destroyed in any manner.
Here's the collar/leash company link
http://www.lupinepet.com/index.html

And any google search will bring up loads of wool/organic toys if you're worried about him swallowing anything harmful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I had a star for every time you brightened my day, I'd be holding a galaxy in my hands." - Unknown
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Beach Makeup Tips
How to Get a Natural Makeup Look
How to Make Your Nose Look Thinner
How to Use an Eyeliner Brush
Summer Travel Beauty Tips from Aesthetician Gina Mari
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...