A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chew Toy: Can it take my dog's wrath?  (Read 5764 times)
Tags for this thread: squirrel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heatherxxll
« on: January 15, 2008 09:02:56 PM »

My lab-mix, Bowie, is a little over 15 months and 75 pounds. Lately it's been costing me upwards of $10 each week to keep him in toys so that he doesn't destroy anything while I am at work during the day. I've laid 2 squirrels and octopuses (octopi?), a moose, ladybug, and countless others to rest.

Tonight I cut the leg off of a pair of jeans and sewed one end shut. Then I filled that with denim and fabric scraps, and sewed the other end up. It's like a pillow but more dense and it already smells like me.

Will it have what it takes to withstand a champion chomper??

Only time will tell...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008 09:14:32 PM »

I had to comment on this--my dog is so hard on toys!  Have you tried KONG?  It's pretty resilient.  Good idea and I love how it has your scent.  AND, very cute dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jaeda
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008 09:47:00 PM »

I'd like to second the Kong idea. My golden loves chewing everything (including lightbulbs in their boxes, oh dear!!) and he loves it when I put some peanut butter inside his Kong and stick it in the freezer for a while (In a baggy, dog drool all over my other freezables is gross).

He also goes through tennis balls at a frantic pace, but at 50 cents each, they aren't that bad as an occasional treat.

You could also go to the butcher at your local grocery store and ask for a bone from whatever they're working on. They should give it to you for free. This, however, is not for the faint of heart, obviously. It should also be an "outside" toy and disposed of after a few hours. You can cook it, but I can't remember if it's pork or beef bones that splinter when they're cooked, which can be very dangerous for your poor pooch.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008 11:34:14 PM »

Excellent idea!  My friend's dalmatian pit mix loves the toys made by Fat Cat.  They are super tough!  Good luck with the jeans!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
TheBrokenButterfly
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008 04:29:05 AM »

Awesome action shots! I hope it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geeber

My little pumpkin juice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008 05:22:33 AM »

Very smart idea! Also, Goodwill always has plushies for cheap. We always shop there for our dog toys. Feel out the toy for stuffing or "beans" -- you dont want the "beans" all over your house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's what she said
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008 05:37:23 AM »

That looks like a good, solid toy.

You could try Kevlar or Cordura for the top cover of the toy next time, sewn with waxed nylon thread (the really thick, tough stuff) ...

By the looks of that muzzle and how determined your pooch is in the photo - I'd say that toy is *happily* toast. It's so much better then having the place destroyed.

The Kong and their variants are good toys. Look for toys marketed to big dogs and "aggressive chewers".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatherxxll
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008 06:56:43 AM »

Hahaha yes, the Kong is the oldest surviving toy in the house by a long-shot. And while he loves his Kong, if he doesn't have anything made from fabric to chew on he goes for the closest thing he can find - couch cushions, pillows, and the like. It can get expensive.

I also read not to give stuffed toys from Goodwill to a rampant chewer, since they're not made specifically for dogs to tear into, they may have things that could harm doggies. Also, I work during the day so he is left unsupervised with his toys, so I feel safe knowing that none of them are potentially hazardous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008 08:14:11 AM »

Kongs are the best! (this is coming from someone whose dog used a BOOKCASE for a chew toy!!!). Surprisingly, Dollar Tree has some good toys, too, and for much cheaper!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
blue_concubine

One singular sensation.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008 06:08:15 AM »

He is just gorgeous!  Good luck on this!  I hope it works.  Wink

I have two dogs ( :)lab mix brother and sister, rescued from being sent to the shelter)  They have eaten the back off a couch, no, I did not stutter, the entire back, gone in one day!  They go through dog toys like the dickens.  I have found the dollar store to be a good place for stuffed toys too.  I have to say though, my dogs are crazy for the squeaker toys.  They pull out the fiberfill to get to the squeaker and they wrestle over it.  Despite the fact that the two keep each other company, they do need things to keep them busy, the vet tells me that is natural for labs, being they are such an intelligent breed.  I have found a place on the Internet that sells the squeakers and I was thinking of making my own toys too.  I like the idea of the denim that smells like you.   Great idea.  Thanks!  I don't think dogs care about shapes and colors so much as texture and smell, maybe sound based on squeaker obsession. 

Our family is gone during the day and we have a ritual every morning dedicated to doggy fun while we are gone.  Stuffing two Kong's, hiding them, put out store bought knuckle bones for each (I know they say rawhides and bones are bad).  Throwing a few dog biscuits around randomly, turning on music for them (they like singers and standards, we left rock and roll on once and we came home to a real mess, they rocked out all day!).  I don't know which part to the formula works, but I don't want to lose anymore furniture to test it. 

Thanks for the great idea and I hope this works for your pup.  He is just beautiful and I can tell he is very loved and appreciated.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Cheeseburger
Cooking Mac and Cheese With Kids
Rotisserie Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
Fire Up The BBQ!
The Best Burger
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...