A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,788
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: does anyone have tips for photographing art work?  (Read 361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fuzzymonkey
« on: January 15, 2008 06:46:48 PM »

hi everyone- i am finally doing it. getting all of the art work that i have made over the past eight years, dusting it, touching it up, and getting it framed and ready for an exhibition. i make paper and mixed media collage pieces. they are very detailed and heavily textured and must go under glass to protect them from dust and where i live, lizard poo. so my question is, how best to photograph my work for a portfolio and of course to share it with you guys? how do i deal with glare?
  all suggestions are appreciated. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well, i ain't often right, but i've never been wrong, seldom turns out the way it does in the song;
once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
karmickaboom

You can be my flamingo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008 12:57:39 AM »

First congrats!
Next, you really should remove the work from the frame and glass.
Make sure it is an over cast day and take your work outdoors and set it on a low table.
Keep your flash off and stand above the artwork and take the photo from that angle. Don't try to prop it up or lean it against something. This will distort your work.
As for camera settings. I am not sure how much you know about using your camera. There is a really good article on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography
If you cannot take the work from the frames and glass you need to be extra sure not to use the flash becuase you will see the reflection. But in any case the flash usually ends up distorting the color or even leaving a reflection on oil paintings or varnished paintings.

I wish you luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fuzzymonkey
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008 05:13:03 PM »

whoops, should have posted BEFORE i started framing stuff 'cause it's sealed in there now.  Sad   Thanks for your useful advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well, i ain't often right, but i've never been wrong, seldom turns out the way it does in the song;
once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Donald Trump Talks About Think Like a Champion
Perils of Pursuing a Prince Book Trailer
The Book of Spam Book Trailer Part 2
Jerry Falwell Book Trailer
Sometimes Moms Can Be So Embarrassing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...