A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Out of proportion measurements - question on patterns  (Read 1944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Euphony
« on: January 15, 2008 01:09:46 PM »

EEEEK this is my first post, I've been reading and reading for the past few days and WOW!  What a place this is!!

I'm also new to sewing, I've been trying to figure it out as I go.  I'm starting to wonder however if my grandmother might've taught me some things about sewing since some things seem very familiar to me and I can oddly hem straight.

I made my first skirt the other day...well I guess it's not finished.  If I was about 6" taller and weighed at least 50 more pounds then the skirt would be finished.  So I'm in the process of fixing it.

I very much want to learn to make my own patterns, the skirt was out of my head so there's hope (I think).  But for right now I'm thinking patterns is a good way to go.  I found a pattern I like "Simplicity 3769", I'm wondering if I can make the waist smaller.

My measurements are a generous 50x41.5x52, I'm almost 5' 8", I have an extremely short waist - I think there's maybe an inch between the very bottom of my rib cage and my waist, then maybe an inch and a half between my waist and the top of my hip bones.  I also wear a 42DD.

According to the pattern my bust is in a size 28, and my waist is in a size 26 - both of which come on one pattern.  So I'm hoping I can cut it correctly in my bust, then angle the cut to the size 26 and go from there.

What would you suggest?

TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008 11:46:18 AM »

I'm not an expert seamstress, but here's my $0.02: Since this pattern is flowy and starts to spread out at the hips anyway, I think if you just made it to the size to fit your upper body you should be fine. If you need to take it in at the waist when it's done, that is always an option. It's easier to take extra fabric away than try to add it back in.

Welcome to Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Euphony
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008 09:22:48 AM »

I'm not an expert seamstress, but here's my $0.02: Since this pattern is flowy and starts to spread out at the hips anyway, I think if you just made it to the size to fit your upper body you should be fine. If you need to take it in at the waist when it's done, that is always an option. It's easier to take extra fabric away than try to add it back in.

Welcome to Craftster!
Thank you so much!  I will be giving that a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noralost
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008 06:29:45 PM »

I agree with Feast...I'd just go by the bust measurement.
The really nice thing about this pattern is that there are princess seams that you can use to fit the bodice and the skirt.
Here's what I'd do...after sewing the bodice together, before doing the facings or anything else, I'd try it on wrong side out and get it to fit exactly how you want it to, by pinning the princess seams.  Then I'd do the rest of the dress.
One thing, if you're short waisted (as you said you were) you can adjust the skirt portion up if you need to to get the waist to sit in the right place.
The cool thing about sewing is that you aren't tied down to making your body fit into the "average" but you can fit things to YOUR body!
I hope this is clear  Undecided
Nora
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Euphony
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008 09:07:10 PM »

Thanks Nora!  It's getting clearer  Cheesy  I just got done today making a pair of lounge pants.  Of course they don't fit right since I followed the pattern - but they are lounge pants and super comfy (other than being baggy in the belly) so I don't care much.  These pants were my first pattern that I followed, I learned a lot - got confused, ended up accidently putting the waistband on backwards so now the ties are in the back - fortunately it also has elastic in the waist so it's not toooo big of a deal.  But hey, I learned many many things from this.  I'm hoping to dealve into making a full dress soon - might start on it sometime this week.  It'll be so nice to be able to make clothes that fit me not what the manufacturers think should fit me. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pulling_teeth
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008 08:17:18 PM »

I am an outta proportion kinda gal myself. I am a 40G in the bust, leaving me with nearly 15 inches difference from my natural waist (not my low waist). Baby got no back though.  I am going with the above ideas. I would make the dress the largest size you need try it on. If you find the dress hangs off you boobs and make you look like a triangle (I have), either pin it or have a friend help you pin it and sew again, easing from the bust to the waist so you don't leave yourself with hard corners.
   \   /   \   /
    \ /     ) (
    / \    /   \
Thats the bust waist and hip of the dress, for those going "WTF?"
It can be a time consuming pain in the arse, but it's nice to have a dress with that like a glove fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Euphony
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008 09:24:10 AM »

It can be a time consuming pain in the arse, but it's nice to have a dress with that like a glove fit.
That's the whole reason I want to learn to sew my own clothes, make my own patterns etc.  To have clothes that actually fit would be wonderful!  The only thing I've ever owned that actually fit me was my wedding dress since it was custom made.  I love that dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pulling_teeth
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008 02:42:33 PM »

I have been dress shopping lately for my boyfriends high school reunion and his cousins wedding. I am glad I started early. I have a a few weeks left...
I would make my own, but the wedding is so formal. Don't wanna stress over making a great dress. One of those that has 500 guests and whatnot.
If I find something that fits well in the bust I think I am going to have it altered by a pro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bettsi

Linnea, one of the dolls I've made.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008 01:29:05 PM »

I have wacky proportions too and could use some help.  As I've aged (I'm 44), my waist has gotten thicker and thicker.  Now my measurements are 44"40"46".  My arms and legs are thin in comparison to my massive trunk.  I take pretty good care of myself, but nothing budges my middle.  Finding attractive clothes is challenging, to say the least. 

I would love to hear suggestions from all of you regarding what patterns might look right on me.  I work in an office and I love dresses, but when I try to do a sheath of any type, I end up looking like a refrigerator. 

Last year I made Butterick 4849 and it flatters nicely, but I made it a smidge too small.  Does anyone know of some patterns like this one with more ease?  Any fashion help will be welcome!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 01:30:47 PM by Bettsi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success isn't final, failure isn't fatal;
It is the courage to continue that counts.
-Winston Churchill
noralost
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008 03:31:02 PM »

Bettsi, You are in luck right now because empire and other apple-friendly clothes are right in style!

Your dress is very flattering and you could just cut it a smidge bigger.

Also you want things that suggest a waist but don't actually go in too far. That's why empire is perfect for you.

Another style I think would look great on you is: http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5536.htm?tab=tops_vests&page=1 you could even extend the tank to dresslength. I think that would be so cute.

Now for some don't's...Don't wear a top or dress that is gathered unless it has something to suggest a waist, either an empire or some other detail...if you do you'll jut look preggers.

Also straight skirts should be pegged in a little at the bottom, that will make them look more straight and cut the volumn of fabric down.

Acording to the McCalls website you should be wearing an 18...don't worry about the number it is prolly lots bigger then you wear in RTW...that's just how patterns are Undecided

Now take all this advice with a grain of salt...it's just that I'm becoming more and more of an apple after a life time of being an hour-glass...and this is what I've learned.

HTH,
Nora

ps - tried to get the img to show but I don't know how, so put the link to the webpage in.
n
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Architectural Desktop 2008 - Annotation Scaling
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 2
How to use Architectural Desktop - Wall Cleanup with XREFS
Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup Merges and Joins
How to use Architectural Desktop ADT 2007 CURVED ROOF
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...