A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: new knitter needs help  (Read 379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

needmorefiber
« on: January 15, 2008 05:29:34 AM »

hey everyone!  I'm a new knitter and I had a question...I just got the book stitch & bitch and I'm kind of confused about circular needles, my mother-in-law found me a bunch of circular needles and they are 29 inches but in the book Debbie Stoller doesn't mention anything about 29 inch needles?!?!  can I still use them or do I need to get 16, 24 and 32 like it says in the book?? Thanks a ton!

(I'm a very play by the rules girl  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008 05:46:37 AM »

Well, when you're knitting in the round, you want the length of the circular needles (29" in your case) to be somewhat less than the circumference of whatever you're knitting.  So, you can't knit a sock, or a hat with a 29" circ.  Not traditionally anyway..

You can do any flat knitting you want on a circular, and the cord just acts as a nice stitch holder.. and you won't loose your other needle since it's attached.

There is a method called the "magic loop" method in which you can use longer circs to make smaller circumferences.  Someone on here may be able to give you a better resource, but knittinghelp.com has a video tut on this method.

Also, you can knit with two circulars (of the same needle size) as seen here http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

So you definetly have options!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008 03:14:18 PM »

I'm giving all my straights to one of my friends, I just got a set of interchangeable circs and I love them.  The weight sits on your lap instead of your wrist.
Something to think about.

I second the nod to www.knittinghelp.co m
The video on Magic Looping is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leika
Queen of Profanity

F@#$!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008 04:17:53 PM »

You could probably change out the 32" with one of your 29" circs.  And of course, as mentioned, you can always do flat knitting on any length circ.  Instead of trying to make a tube, you just turn it around and treat the two points like they are two separate needles.

However, not sure if you know this - but if you have two 29" circs of the same size (mm wise, like 2 8 US/5mm needles), you can use them to knit anything of a smaller diameter.  You basically use them like two flexible DPNs instead of four - half the stitches on one, half on the other, then you knit the first half all with Needle #1 and knit the second half with Needle #2, then the first half again with Needle #1.  Since you don't have to have a couple hundred stitches to make it all the way around to let the needle meet up in a circle, you can make any diameter tube - technically you could have 6 or 3 or 1 stitch on each needle if you wanted.

You can search for an internet tutorial if that doesn't make any sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 07:25:26 PM »

I knit hats with 24" needles, I just start out by casting on another needle (usually one size larger) then join and knit the first round with the right needle. Most of the time when I'm done with the first round, they fit the needle okay; if not, I do a half magic loop where I just loop the right needle instead of both. After a couple rounds, the stitches are loose enough to fit around comfortably. I do all my knitting on circs, and I find 29" to be about the best all around size, you can do large items like sweaters or blankets with them. 24" are fine for hats and knitting narrow items like scarves, anything longer than 36" has too much cord and gets in the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008 07:41:50 PM »

magic loop all the way!  check it out really.  i learned from knittinghelp's video and I haven't looked back since.  I don't use straights and I don't buy any new short circs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soulful hues knits and knacks, hand dyed recycled yarn and fun vintage finds!http://www.soulfulhues.etsy.com

my blog: http://soulfulhuesknits.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The No-Poo Movement
Long Hair Dad Cuts Hair After 20 Years
First Haircut in 20 Years
Healthy Hair Tips
How to Get a Braided Crown
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...