A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Row counter bracelets - stylish AND functional! **Photos Restored!**  (Read 30989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005 06:18:50 PM »

Thanks so much glitterbug!  I need to undo it all and make it a little longer anyhow.  Do they come in clear color?  The only cord I could find small enough for these beads was this clear stretchy stuff.  I hope I can find someone helpful at Michael's tomorrow.  I wont' be sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skuterrat
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005 06:23:56 PM »

You inspired me!  This is my first time ever working with beads.  I double knotted everything, but will it hold??  Show I toss some kind of glue in there some where?  All I can think of is a hot glue gun.

Looks good!

As for the knots:  It looks like you used that stretch cord for the whole bracelet?  If that's the case, the knots should hold by themselves.  Just make sure you did a solid square knot (right over left, left over right) or maybe even two rather than a granny knot (right over left, right over left or vice versa).  Square knots should hold, granny knots will slip out.  Whatever you do, DON'T use superglue!  I tried that to add strength to some stretch bracelets I made once and the glue dissolved the stretchy cord!  There were beads everywhere!

A few suggestions I have if you want to try this again:
- Since you need two strands for this, you can save yourself the bother of knotting at one end and just use a lark's head knot around one of the toggle clasp pieces to start the bracelet off.  Here's an example of what I mean:  http://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html
- If you're worried about the knot on the other end coming undone, you can string a single big hole bead on BOTH strands, then knot the second clasp on.  Then you can slip the big bead over the knot to protect it from wear and tear.  As a double bonus, you can use this instead of a "dangle."  

I really like your idea of using an odd colored bead every 5 to keep track of which direction you're going.  Making the little dangles was a pain for me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skuterrat
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005 06:38:22 PM »

Thanks so much glitterbug!  I need to undo it all and make it a little longer anyhow.  Do they come in clear color?  The only cord I could find small enough for these beads was this clear stretchy stuff.  I hope I can find someone helpful at Michael's tomorrow.  I wont' be sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Glitterbug is right, crimps are also great for this!  I used huge crimps on my original black cord, actually.  As for finding them at Michael's, they're just called crimp beads.  The tiny ones just look like tiny silver beads that you mash with pliers.  here's a tutorial from the Michael's website:  http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayArticle?articleNum=as0032
And this is one kind of crimp bead:  http://www.beadshop.com/Components-Crimpends-618XSM.aspx

Also, if you're looking for thin things to string these beads on (I've seen these beads, I love them!), look for tigertail.  It's a thin nylon coated wire.  You do have to close it with crimp beads, and it can kink if you, say, fold it in half, but it's one thing that all of those illusion necklaces were made from, and it will give your bracelet a tiny bit of body.  It's also quite strong, and with tigertail and crimps, you won't need to worry about losing any of your beads!

Michael's tigertail instructions:  http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayArticle?articleNum=as0010&channelid=11

here's a necklace made with tigertail so you can see what it looks like: http://www.beadage.net/projects/illusion.shtml

If you look at the other link someone posted earlier in this thread, I think that the glittery bead bracelet would be great made with tigertail!  You'll find it at Michael's probably on a small spool in a plastic bag.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005 06:40:09 PM by skuterrat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skuterrat
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005 06:43:31 PM »

would you post a tutorial? I would like to buy one but I would like to know how they are made. I'm not a knitter yet but I have the feeling I will need one as soon as I start.

Hi faeriedust112088,

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten you!  I made the originals of these while I was at home over winter break, and I don't have all of the supplies here at school with me.  I'm working on procuring more supplies because I would love to make more, so I'll try my hand at making up a tutorial then.  Hope the delay isn't a problem!

Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005 07:02:06 PM »

Wow!  Thank you so much for all those links and ideas.  I really felt so lost in Michael's today.  I had no idea what I was looking for or what to get.  I would definitely rather the tigertail and will look for it tomorrow ~ along with crimping beads.  

Ok, so if I was making myself a tutorial... (Yes, I want to spell it out to be sure I understand all this. lol)

I'll go buy my tigertail (I guess they will have it in .5mm)
I'll use the lark's head knot at the end where the T part of the toggle is.
Place a crimp bead at the end near the T (even if i don't really need it, I want it to be the same on both ends).
At this point, I'll be using one long lenght of tigertail, doubled, and I'll string on my beads and the stopper.

Will the crimp bead work on the single wire?  I want to use it to stop my beads from moving around too much on my wrist.  The purpose that I used the single knots for on my bracelet.

Ok, so assuming that I can string on the crimp beads and use them at each end of the actual abacus part, I'll do all that. (The crimps will hold fine on single wire, right?)

Then, I need to connect the wires at the final end to the loop part of the toggle.  How, exactly, do I accomplish this?  Do I string them both through the finding and crimp then trim? Or, do I tie them in a knot around it, and then crimp it and trim?

Last question.  My stopper ring.  I'll still use the stretch stuff for that.  I'm not sure if I did a double knot or a granny knot.  Knowing me, it was probably just a granny.  Should I crimp it over the knot and trim it or just leave it?  I don't really want a silver part on it, but if I can find clear, I'll go for it.

Thanks, again, for sooo much help!  I really appreciate all the time and advice that I get from everyone here.  Now I can go in the store feeling more confident and less clueless!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skuterrat
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005 07:23:08 PM »

Ok, so if I was making myself a tutorial... (Yes, I want to spell it out to be sure I understand all this. lol)

I'll go buy my tigertail (I guess they will have it in .5mm)
I'll use the lark's head knot at the end where the T part of the toggle is.
Place a crimp bead at the end near the T (even if i don't really need it, I want it to be the same on both ends).

You're right that you don't really need it.  But hey, if you want it there, it's all about how you want it to look.  Smiley

At this point, I'll be using one long lenght of tigertail, doubled, and I'll string on my beads and the stopper.
Actually, you'll use each of the two strands singly.  String 9 beads on one strand, 9 on the other.

Will the crimp bead work on the single wire?  I want to use it to stop my beads from moving around too much on my wrist.  The purpose that I used the single knots for on my bracelet.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here.  Maybe that you don't want the beads to be able to go all the way to the toggle?  You can actually thread BOTH strands of tigertail through one crimp and crimp it if you'd like to accomplish that.  Kind of like that illusion necklace.  Crimps don't HAVE to be used to end things, they can also just be used to keep beads from sliding.

Ok, so assuming that I can string on the crimp beads and use them at each end of the actual abacus part, I'll do all that. (The crimps will hold fine on single wire, right?)

Yes they will.

Then, I need to connect the wires at the final end to the loop part of the toggle.  How, exactly, do I accomplish this?  Do I string them both through the finding and crimp then trim? Or, do I tie them in a knot around it, and then crimp it and trim?

Actually, what you will do is thread BOTH tigertail strands through the crimp.  Then through the finding, then BACK through the crimp the other direction.  If you need a visual, both of the earlier linked Michael's tutorials had images of this step.

Last question.  My stopper ring.  I'll still use the stretch stuff for that.  I'm not sure if I did a double knot or a granny knot.  Knowing me, it was probably just a granny.  Should I crimp it over the knot and trim it or just leave it?  I don't really want a silver part on it, but if I can find clear, I'll go for it.
Yes, the stretch stuff is what you want here.  And you'll want a double knot.  One trick I use on this kind of loop is to tie it tightly and then slide the beads around a little so that the knot is inside one of the beads (that is, if the holes are big enough!).  You can also use a crimp if you're worried about your knots (just string the stretch thread through the crimp in opposite directions, pull snug, crimp, and trim the ends...crimps are magical things!).  If you want it to blend in more, you could try using silver colored beads for the whole stopper ring.

Thanks, again, for sooo much help!  I really appreciate all the time and advice that I get from everyone here.  Now I can go in the store feeling more confident and less clueless!  Smiley
No problem!  I love jewelrymaking, and everything I know is self taught through the help of lovely people on forums (like the about.com site!).

Can't wait to see your next version!
Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005 08:30:05 PM »

I could just kiss you!  Pucker up!  Kiss 

I'll be sure to post my new version tomorrow!

Thanks again!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005 04:55:05 PM »

Ok, I think I bought the wrong size crimping beads, but I tried!  I got crimping tubes instead that were 1.3 mm.  Yes, I'm that much of a newb.  They're not super obvious, though, so I think it will be ok.

Here's my new creations.. If you have ideas on how to improve them, I'm completely open!!

Thanks again for all the help and support, from everyone!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 03:22:08 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

skuterrat
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005 05:32:20 PM »

Ok, I think I bought the wrong size crimping beads, but I tried!  I got crimping tubes instead that were 1.3 mm.  Yes, I'm that much of a newb.  They're not super obvious, though, so I think it will be ok.

Here's my new creations.. If you have ideas on how to improve them, I'm completely open!!

Thanks again for all the help and support, from everyone!

Nice!  THose look a lot sturdier.  I'm particularly fond of the purple green and silver one, as those are my favorite colors.  Smiley

One question though...
With so little room to move the beads back and forth (and I totally understand why you want to keep them grouped in plain view!)...how are you going to use the stretchy ring to mark off, say....73?  (Or 37)  Something with a big imbalance in number.  The reason I left so much "give" in mine was so that I could slide all the beads to opposite ends and still have room for the stretchy ring inbetween.  I don't want to sound hyper critical all ALL, but it seems to me that the crimps will keep that from working?  (I didn't realize this until I saw your photos, or I would have mentioned it last night!)

Overall though, it looks like you've got the technique down, and they look good!

Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005 07:23:25 PM »

Roll Eyes  You are absolutely right!  I screwed up.  No biggie, though. These were super quick and easy to make.  All I'll lose is a little wire.  I got it to 73 and after that it started getting wonky.  But, yeah, the reason I wanted to crimp there was to keep it all in plain sight.
Not hypercrytical at all!  I wanted critisism, but most of all I want this thing to work properly!!! lol
I'll remake them tomorrow.  I'm all about my knitting for the night. Smiley

Thanks for the compliments. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Highlighting Tips
Highlighting your Hair
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
How to Do an Emo Haircut
Learn how to Care for Haircutting Equipment
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...