A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rowan "Floss"  (Read 12996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

paeonia
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005 04:42:20 AM »

Its sooo pretty and you did such a great job on it!!  My birthday is coming up and I have been eyeing all of those Rowan patterns since I started knitting (I am quite new to knitting) but have been too chicken to try them.  Do you have many of Rowan magazines and are they good even for beginners? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005 05:12:39 AM »

Thank you Paeonia  Smiley
In fact, I don't have many Rowan books or magazines, but the one I got this pattern from (Big Just Got Bigger) is definately suitable for a beginner. If you know how to increase and decrease you can probable complete at least half of the patterns in there. There were a couple techniques I had to learn, but these were very simple, and some of the scarves have a drop stitch pattern, but again,  you can easily take a break from your knitting, go to knittinghelp.com and figure it out. Then you've got a new technique under your belt! One of the reasons I am finding the patterns in this book easy to follow is that they are written quite precisely.
By the Way, if you're thinking of ordering a Rowan book or magazine online, I recommend theknittinggarden.com . I have seen the same books for literally twice the price on some other websites (and I took into account any currency changes). Also, I received my parcel within a week and I'm in Canada.
Take care,
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005 08:13:45 AM »

I love the Rowan books. I also love the Rowan Living books too! Their fabric is yummy too. Book one has a tie-fastening bed linen I'm dying to make for my daughter, maybe one for me too!
A few notes though.. I always have to rack my brain with some of their directions, because they are worded differently than "american" patterns.. Once you can decipher them it's easy though.. Like tbl translates to ssk... I totally got stuck on finishing my poncho for a good week, finally had to get help here (thanks melidoma!)
I spent 15 bucks a skein on the big wool, but I agree that you can substitute the thick and quick (which I will do for my next twirl poncho!)
AND, I had great results tweaking the Floss pattern- I used a scarlet Lopi wool and did it in Moss stitch! It's very regal looking.. But you have to adjust the size, so knit it at least a size or 2 smaller to make up the difference..
But, Tere...You did such an amazing job on yours, I absolutely adore it! Great Work! I love your choice of colors too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
Quincy134
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005 08:18:41 AM »

I substituted lion brand thick and quick for big wool on one sweater last year.  It knit up well, but remember that it may pill a lot and get quite fuzzy after some use.  My sweater is still very comfy, but it has a different look from what you would get with big wool, which, I am told, does not pill much.  So you will not get the crisp garments in the Rowan photos.  But you also won't have to mortgage your house to make a sweater. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005 09:53:23 AM »

HelenaJane,
Thanks for that great idea. I love moss stitch, and I bet this would indeed look regal in scarlet. Wow..the more I think about it the more I want to try it!
thanks,
Tere Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carina
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005 06:52:34 AM »

Ohhh... I just love it!
I have one question only, did you made any decreases ou increases for that top? I'm thinking of making up a pattern for something like that, since I'm from Europe and it's very hard to me to understand some patterns..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What does not kill you, only makes you stronger
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005 07:02:11 AM »

That is so pretty, and you look like a freaking model, good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005 09:01:39 AM »

Carina, you shouldn't have a problem with that. But even if you did, you could just post what you get stuck on and have it explained so you understand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
daria

and how does lemur skin reflect the sea?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005 11:31:59 AM »

Ohhh... I just love it!
I have one question only, did you made any decreases ou increases for that top? I'm thinking of making up a pattern for something like that, since I'm from Europe and it's very hard to me to understand some patterns..

Carina, I wouldn't worry about the instructions.  Rowan (the yarn and the book/magazine) is based in England and their instructions are directed more to the Brits and Europeans in general than they are to us Americans.  For instance, the gauges of all the patterns are written in centimeters so it was kinda annoying trying to convert that into inches.  And the Brits call "double crochet" what Americans call "single crochet"!  It's nuts over on that side of the Atlantic Ocean, I tell ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jose brought up the blueprints for a new ranch house. . .I have this strange feeling that the blueprints and the knitting instructions got switched. . ."

I May Be Knitting A Ranch House
Tere
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005 02:34:24 PM »

Carina,
yup, there are decreases and increases so that the pieces are shaped like hour glasses. And I also don't think you need to worry about understanding the pattern. Its very straight forward.
Smiley
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ideas for Hair Accessories
Couture Hair Extensions
3 Hair Oils That Will Give You the Softest, Shiniest Hair
Create a Headband Braid in 5 Easy Steps
How to Create an Undone Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...