A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first shirts, and first skirt, from scratch  (Read 6834 times)
Tags for this thread: houndstooth  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LetterGhost
« on: January 13, 2008 05:46:21 PM »

Hello all! I started sewing in October and I finally made some shirts from scratch! I got a little too ambitious for my skill level, but they turned out pretty well and I'm definitely learning a lot with each project.

I started out using the Burda style pattern for a basic long sleeve top, but modified to make it longer like a tunic, and to add the hood. You can see how at first I made the sleeves way too short (I used the smallest size of the pattern, but I'm sort of tall and have long limbs), but actually I really like the cuffs anyway.

I made this stretchy pencil skirt also from scratch. Don't know whatever possessed me to try something like this for my first skirt! I wanted it to have frayed edges, but of course it didn't fray in the wash as it's stretch fabric (  ::)I know, so dumb, but I'm learning!) so I trimmed the edges with pinking shears instead. I quite like the effect.

Um, houndstooth and plaid match, right? Right. Grin

At finally, I decided I needed a nice black top to wear with the skirt, so I made this. Again, too ambitious for my level right now, but I figured a lot of things out along the way! Like that ruffles take up a lot of fabric.

I'm so proud of the turtleneck part! It was supposed to be more of a cowl neck, but the fabric is kind of thick.

I need opinions on this top--the puffy sleeves, stay or go? I like them, but my roommate gave them a raised eyebrow and a comment about Anne of Green Gables. She then admitted that she's not fond of puffy sleeves in general, but maybe she was just trying not to be too critical. The sleeves are just basted on at this point, so I could fix them without too much trouble. What do you think?

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangela

beware of octopus girl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 05:58:55 PM »

I LOOOOVE the poofy sleeves. I don't think they look Anne Of Green Gable-y at all. I think they look cool.

Also, I have been wondering about that first Burda pattern for a while now. I've never made anything from scratch, and I'm just wondering how hard/easy it was for you? I DO know how to sew (basically), I just haven't made things from scratch yet... Yours looks really good, and your fabrics are awesome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008 06:11:46 PM »

I love the poofy shoulders. They should definitely stay.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
LetterGhost
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008 06:16:22 PM »

Thanks! I was kind of hoping you guys would back me up on the sleeves. I don't think they look like Anne's sleeves either--her puffy sleeves are waaay puffier.

My opinions on the Burda pattern? Well, I've avoided doing the collar and interfacing part so far, and the sleeves were about 4-5 inches too short for me, as i mentioned... but otherwise I find it extremely useful to have a basic shirt template on hand. The first shirt I did, the hooded one, was pretty easy-- it felt like it was coming together by magic! Although I haven't got my twin needle working yet so I used a stretch stitch on the hems instead, but it looks fine. Actually, the hardest part of the whole thing was piecing together the pattern with my roommate's cat pouncing all over it. I say go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carley_
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008 06:23:29 PM »

I also love the puffy sleeves.
I think they make the top look very vintage.

I also love that pencil skirt! It's so dang cute!
Great job on all the projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But what if there's bears?
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008 07:12:45 PM »

Oh my god that skirt is amazing! Plaid and houndstooth totally match! The muted colors + the patterns of the fabrics + the chevrons are so elegant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008 07:36:49 PM »

Um, houndstooth and plaid match, right? Right. Grin

heck yes!!!   i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008 08:02:04 PM »

I love the sleeves.  I was saying to a friend the other day that I didn't begin to appreciate small details like that until I started crafting.  I think they're beautiful.  Plus, Anne of Green Gables is freaking rad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008 08:48:31 PM »

Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
becgordo
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008 06:53:58 AM »

I always check out your stuff and I have to say I can't believe you haven't been sewing your whole life.  I love the skirt!  Both shirts are great.  The puffy sleeves are not too much at all.  It's a small enough puff to not make you look like your trying to be 5.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...