A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first shirts, and first skirt, from scratch  (Read 6807 times)
Tags for this thread: houndstooth  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mezzi
Almost Cool

Use your *imagination*

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008 09:05:34 PM »

That skirt is great! I love mixing patterns Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jw
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008 09:44:43 PM »

i love them all.
the black puffed sleeve is my fav.

i also loved that book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhymewithorange

chemists do it with models

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008 03:15:08 PM »

I really like the poofy sleeves...keep them! In fact, I love the whole turtleneck to death! I used to have a shirt kind of like it but it's been all worn to death now. Did you use a pattern? Cause I'd love to try that!

And P.S. Your hair color is awesome. I tried to get my hair to do something like that, and I got it pretty close, but it all washed out in like two weeks. Sad times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LetterGhost
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008 08:25:55 PM »

wow, lookit all the comments! This is so encouraging, thanks so much everyone!!! I so regret not having learned to sew years ago. So now I'm making up for lost time!

Any hints with the skirt?
Hints? Ha! If only you knew... all of my projects so far, especially this one, have been great lessons in how NOT to do things. I'm really just jumping in blindly and figuring things out as I go along. I started the skirt from a couple of L-shaped scraps, then basically sewed up two big sheets of L-shapes. Then I just sewed up the sides using a template I made from another pencil skirt. I was going to add elastic in the waistband, but the skirt is so stretchy and well fitted that I didn't want to bother, why waste the elastic? Also, it would've saved me some time if I could get that damn twin needle to work, but I'm still having trouble with that.
now, back to the first top - may i ask where the material is from?
I get most of my fabric from my local fabric store. I live in Canada where the largest fabric store chain is Fabricland (called Fabricville in eastern Canada where I live.) It was bargain bin fabric at $2/m-- I should have bought more, and I might have to go back to get some...
Did you use a pattern? Cause I'd love to try that!
well, I did start out with the free Burdastyle pattern (Lydia) for a long sleeve top, but I really just used it as a basic body template and then modified it. Again, I was just sort of learning as I went along. I was really surprised that it turned out so well, honestly. I have no idea how I pulled it off. Although I admit that I often find it a lot easier to quickly baste things in place and then try it on before I sew any permanent lines. Might not be very professional, but for me it means a lot less time using the seam ripper.

Thanks again everybody! I'll have more stuff to post soon-- I just finished two more shirts this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Verne
Verne'

faTshionista

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008 04:36:55 PM »

nice. especially the skirt. plaid and houndstooth are my fav patterns of all time. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008 04:37:20 PM by Verne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008 06:09:27 PM »

Very pretty; I want to steal that black turtleneck from you!  Mine was borrowed and never returned... Angry
But your shirt makes me happy, so Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
hel
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008 02:37:15 AM »

It's great that you're bold and didn't let the inexperience stop you from taking on projects like these! I've just started recently and I've yet to learn what's there to explore. I tried resizing a shirt that had armholes turn out too small, good thing there's a little sister who fit in it perfectly haha! Really neat work there, we're lucky to have craftster around, huh ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amped Book Trailer
How The Light Gets In 2012: Is Philosophy For Everyone?
How The Light Gets In 2012: What Happens at a Philosophy Festival?
How The Light Gets In 2012: Who Has Impacted Your Personal Philosophy?
Salman Rushdie and Christopher Hitchens Discuss Hitch 22
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...