A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fidelis wheel opinions please?  (Read 621 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooshie
« on: February 18, 2008 08:41:52 AM »

I'm getting antsy for a wheel, and I just found this one on etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9642242
it looks like a pretty good one, but seeing as how I've never used a wheel I really don't know what to look for.  and I don't know of anywhere locally (yet) where I can learn about spinning wheels. 

I do know that I want to be able to spin everything from laceweight to bulky yarn because I love all yarn!  would this wheel do the job?  has anyone used one of these? this one also comes with a lazy kate which is a plus, but I'd feel better if I knew it would do the job I want to do.

thanks for any/all input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roundhouseknitter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008 10:44:56 AM »

girl I do understand "antsy for a spinning wheel"!! This is just a thought but I would definitly look up this company on the web. There should be someone who can get you parts in case you need some, and maybe even a person or two who uses one. Do some researse because I have never heard of this company. You'll have yourself covered with input from craftster as well as your own! I want to learn spinning but I will probably make a hand whorl and pratice on that. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pmpknpunk
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008 10:58:21 AM »

I was antsy for a wheel and bought an antique wheel on ebay because it was less money...looking back I would have save another $100 bucks and bought a least a Kiwi. I do love my antique wheel and it works great but i had to put quite a bit of work into it and it doesn't move as fluidly as other wheels. Not to discourage you but I was in your position about 2 months ago...coulda, woulda, shoulda, ya know? Smiley Good luck with whatever you choose, one thing is for sure, spinning on a wheel is a lot of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008 04:54:31 PM »

I read some of their feedback, and their buyers love their wheels.  I am going to be purchasing one for my son, and he plans to give it a "Pimp My Ride" makeover!  It looks like a VERY sturdy wheel, and the oil impregnated ball-bearings would make a very smooth spin.  Looks great!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008 04:55:25 PM by Fiberwish » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008 04:27:37 AM »

I read some of their feedback, and their buyers love their wheels.  I am going to be purchasing one for my son, and he plans to give it a "Pimp My Ride" makeover!  It looks like a VERY sturdy wheel, and the oil impregnated ball-bearings would make a very smooth spin.  Looks great!

hmmm, sounds good. looks like you got it going on! that makes another piece of information to store into the old memory bank. I take notes when I find out about something good! gonna check into Fidelis. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008 09:08:41 PM »

My son mention this evening how in his "Pimp My Ride" makeover...he want to somehow add "bling" to it......

I think I'm in over my head...again.

Still, his ideas sure do sound like fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008 10:24:53 AM »

The one thing about the Fidelis wheels is that they are very limited in the ratios that you can spin, only 6:1 or 9:1. This means you're not going to be able to easily spin a wide variety of yarns and I think you'd probably outgrow the wheel pretty quickly. For instance, you would have to treadle really really really really hard to try to get enough twist into your fiber to be able to spin laceweight yarns. Now, you might not care about spinning laceweight now, but in the future you might want to. Just something to think about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Graffiti Stencil
How to Create Light Graffiti
How to Create Graffiti Wildstyle
How to Design Short Anime Characters
How to Do Basic Paint Handling Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...