Most of us have seen the 'arrrgyle' socks created on the MothHeaven
blog, (there is a PDF pattern halfway down the left side) but, I don't wear wool socks, and no one I know does either. Also, my entirely platonic lifemate Aaron needed a beanie, right away. So, I created this:
I used three colors of Cascade 220, and it's soft enough to wear, unless you were highly sensitive to scratchy stuff, or wool. I still have a ton left of all three colors. I knit the argyle portion flat, instarsia style, and when I finished that part, I seamed up the hat, and knit the rest in the round. I used a set of #5 wooden circular needles. When he went into work wearing the hat, apparently another friend couldn't stop talking about it, so I'll have to make her one too. She won't use wool, so instarsia in something else is going to be....interesting.
Enough babbeling! In-progress pics!
Just beginning on the hat
This is where the pattern started to come out. I loved working on it, I'd get giddy with each row, seeing the skull and crossbones forming. It was totally better than TV.
The argyle is almost done in this picture. The colors are pretty close to accurate in these pics.
Altogether, this took a couple months to knit, because I work full time, and I'd slack off on doing it, then pick it up for a weekend, etc. Aaron loves it, though, so that's all that matters.