A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to fix a blanket?  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DaniFae
« on: January 13, 2008 08:02:35 AM »

Okay, my mom gave me an old crocheted blanket that used to belong to my grandma, that had a tiny spot that was starting to unravel, which would have been an easy fix. BUT, my cat found the little bit of yarn facinating, and manage to seperate the blanket from itself, before I could make with the easy fix.  My camera is dead right now, but, the blanket in question looks like the one here (or it did before it was damaged):

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5534441

But with about a foot long tear (for lack of a better word) between two of the stripes. There's a long bit of yarn dangling from it, and neither of the edges of the tear have unraveled. I left the yarn incase i could use it in the repair, and moved the blanket to the top shelf of my closet so it couldn't tempt my cat. I don't know how to crochet, at all, and my sewing skills don't go much beyond a basic seam mend. How can I fix it? How much do I need to learn to do so?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 06:20:39 PM »

I'm bumping this, I'd like to get some opinions also. I have an afghan that needs mending, I'm just lazy. I think I'll just do a row of hdc where it unraveled, but I'm just going by sight of what looks like fell out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
SomethingSweet
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008 06:45:24 PM »

It's hard to say without seeing a picture of exactly what's gone, but for most things I think the easiest and best thing to do is just whip stitch (or something similar) carefully along the hole or tear, and the hole and the seam usually disappear quite easily, if it's not too wide of a tear.

Especially if there is actually some cut yarn there, if you wanted to actually try to crochet it back together, you'd have to buy some similar-looking yarn, which is often harder than it sounds, and then you'd also end up with a crocheted "ridge" where you tried to join the two pieces with crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaniFae
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008 09:28:11 AM »

If my camera wasn't defunct, I would have had a picture. Basically, it's just coming apart at the seems between colors, without much damage to either side. My first thought was actually whip stitching it, I was just worried about it being a horrible idea, seeing i've never really delt with fixing anything made out of yarn. Thanks, SomethingSweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 07:35:17 PM »

Okay, my mom gave me an old crocheted blanket that used to belong to my grandma, that had a tiny spot that was starting to unravel, which would have been an easy fix. BUT, my cat found the little bit of yarn facinating, and manage to seperate the blanket from itself, before I could make with the easy fix.  My camera is dead right now, but, the blanket in question looks like the one here (or it did before it was damaged):

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5534441

But with about a foot long tear (for lack of a better word) between two of the stripes. There's a long bit of yarn dangling from it, and neither of the edges of the tear have unraveled. I left the yarn incase i could use it in the repair, and moved the blanket to the top shelf of my closet so it couldn't tempt my cat. I don't know how to crochet, at all, and my sewing skills don't go much beyond a basic seam mend. How can I fix it? How much do I need to learn to do so?

If you know someone near you who crochets........I would personally recommend letting them handle the repair........but only because it's technically a family "heirloom"....... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
how to Install Photoshop CS2 with Wine
How to Touchup Portraits in Photoshop
How to Create Fruit in Photoshop
How to Create Text Effects in Photoshop
How to Create a Poster Advert in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...