A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Illusion Crochet Quarter Note with Tutorial  (Read 5122 times)
Tags for this thread: chart , illusion , music_notes , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2008 03:19:08 AM »

Ok hopefully this is simple and easier to understand how the actual graph is made.
I have made 2 graphs they are identical stitch wise, however, for one I left where the illusion pattern is worked in white, for the other I filled in the whole graph.
The pink lines represent pink in my finished photo
the yellow lines represent white in my photo
when you come upon a white square in the graph keep going with the same color you are using in that row, just change the stitch you are doing.

chain 14 with background color (or any more then 14 and place this in there but has to be at least 14)
then starting from the bottom work up the graph (left to right or right to left doesn't matter as long as you always work the same way)
Carry your colors up the side and don't cut. If you do this nicely you'll have a fairly nice edge to either crochet a border to or to leave alone as is.

oops forgot a key
sc = single crochet
bl = sc in back loop only
f = sc in free loop from row below

here is the graph with the pattern stitches whited out

same exact graph just all colored in to see it's 2 lines of background color and then 2 lines of image color worked in stripes

finished straight on view.
You will see a little bit of the pattern depending on the yarn you chose, how tight your stitches are and such. You can play around with the ridges raising them up more so you don't see as much of the image straight on, and, the camera is actually picking up more of the illusion image here then the naked eye sees.

sorry it's blurry but you still see it. Here's a half note done in illusion crochet.

I used worsted weight yarn for this (white was RHSS, pink was caron simply soft) a size g hook
Gauge: in pattern stitch 4 stitches by 5 rows = 1x1 inch
my finished piece is 3.25 x 6.25 inches as pictured above
These pieces generally do not require blocking, but, if you do block them or find a need you can steam them from the back or front but don't press an iron to the material as it will flatten and possibly distort the ridge.

Adding: The yarn you chose makes a slight difference. The bulkier the yarn the more elongated the illusion pattern, the smaller the yarn the more squatty the illusion pattern, just like in illusion knitting if you know how.
So if you want a longer (top to bottom) note, use a bulkier yarn, if you want maybe a fatter yet shorter note use baby weight or even thread (which is totally cool this can be done in thread as most knitters don't use crochet thread)

Now you can take this graph and expand upon it (for personal use only please) if you want notes right next to one another then add a few stitches in between the illusion image. Like on the graph above on the right hand side you should see there are 2 stitches bordering the image all the way up. If you'd like to add another note to the right just add 2 more of the same stitches following each line to separate it out more (or however many you would like to)
If you would like notes on top of one another finish the graph then
line 35: sc in free loop on row below across in illusion color
line 36: sc across in illusion color
then start over again from line 1 on the graph or keep going with line 33-36 until you have the space desired before the next note starts.

Now I would never dissuade a new crocheter from trying this and it's not hard, it's all single crochet, but, you need to know the make up of a stitch well and have fairly consistent gauge.
You'll need to know how to single crochet, crochet in the back loop only, know the construction of a stitch (both loops, back and front loops), how to pick up the free loop, how to turn, where the end stitch is, how to carry the colors up the side.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008 07:11:46 AM by Bugaboo1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
superchloe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 06:59:24 AM »

awesome charts and great idea! Isn't that a quarter note though, not a half? A half has a hole in the middle, whereas a quarter is filled in.
nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bugaboo1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008 07:12:11 AM »

LOL woops you are correct...thats what I get for naming things at 4am
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008 01:24:16 PM »

Thank you for the chart! I will definitely be using this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Kayly666
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008 03:33:30 PM »

I've been staring at your chart for about half an hour feeling stupid. I want to do something like this but I want to use the skull & crossbones illusion from the Knitting board but I cant wrap my head around how I would translate it. Would you be able to explain the logic of your chart? I know "logic" logic is the wrong word, what I mean is could you explain how you decide what is a sc, bl, or l in the chart?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/next_big_thing1">Next Big Thing</a>
<br>
Unless otherwise stated items I post on craftster are available at the above website.
tcha345
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008 04:29:29 PM »

that's super neat! (i'm a real big band dork so this is like "woah, so awesome" Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm awesome. Smiley

I have vintage yarn that I would like to give to someone! Please send a message if you'd like to obtain it.  I have lots!
Bugaboo1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008 05:19:19 AM »

I've been staring at your chart for about half an hour feeling stupid. I want to do something like this but I want to use the skull & crossbones illusion from the Knitting board but I cant wrap my head around how I would translate it. Would you be able to explain the logic of your chart? I know "logic" logic is the wrong word, what I mean is could you explain how you decide what is a sc, bl, or l in the chart?

Can you link me to the chart? I can get it started and show you the logic behind the chart. It is odd to try and take it when you are new to it and look at the illusion knitting charts and convert them but once it clicks and you get it you'll seriously be converting everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
Kayly666
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008 01:55:56 PM »

Okies the link is http://www.patricialillie.com/knits/robotsscarf.pdf You can do ethier one of the robots
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/next_big_thing1">Next Big Thing</a>
<br>
Unless otherwise stated items I post on craftster are available at the above website.
Bugaboo1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008 05:33:55 PM »

Great will work on it tomorrow and show you what I came up with. Right now if I don't at least appear to seem interested in finishing hubbies socks he may catch on that I think the pattern he requested is boring  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
Pyogazel
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008 05:14:59 AM »

Shocked
this is awesome ! ! !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Fill Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Change a Color in an Image With the Paint Bucket Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Layer Opacity in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Ruler Measurements in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...