A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Chinese seal stamp (carved stone) !!  (Read 1215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antigone
« on: January 12, 2008 09:01:17 AM »

I have a beautiful stone stamp with a dragon on top and my name carved into the bottom, and I can't seem to make a good impression with it! First I bought read seal ink on Ebay; it was even the same brand as the man who carved my stamp used, but mine seemed very dry and didn't work at all.

Now I've bought this whole calligraphy set just to get a better jar of ink paste (I live in Sweden, so access to Chinese seal ink is limited), and while it's a lot better (and gooey) than the last one I still can't seem to create a good impression with the stamp! What's wrong??? I know what it's supposed to look like, a solid red/orange background with my name in white, but all I can do here is a really weak, grainy and torn-looking impression.... Any help would be much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katchoo1
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008 11:17:03 AM »

Hmm I'm not familiar with stone stamps or the ink used so I'm not sure how much help I'll be but here are a few ideas:

--try more ink.  Keep trying more ink until you get a blotchy-too-much-ink version then cut back.  Sometimes it takes a lot more ink than you think it should.

--try stamping on different surfaces.  If you are stamping on paper with rough surfaces like watercolor paper it might not take a smooth image.  Try smoother papers.

--try leaning on different surfaces.  Try it with your paper on a hard surface or on one with some give like a pad of paper, or more give like a mousepad or something similar.  With the wood mounted rubber stamps i'm familiar with, the padding that is between the rubber and the wood give that "give" when you are pressing down; you might need some give somewhere else in the process since you are using a hard stamp.

--if the stamp is big enough, try laying it on its "back", inked up, and put the paper on top of it then use a roller (brayer) to apply the pressure.  This works for me with big background stamps.  Sometimes (don't laugh) I have to stamp them with my foot to get even pressure all the way across the surface.

If all else fails, take it to the person who made it or your local Asian market or neighborhood to get some assistance with it...

Good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
LoriS.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008 05:31:41 PM »

if the mouse pad is too squishy a piece of craft foam or fun foam can work as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008 10:58:09 PM »

If all else fails, take it to the person who made it or your local Asian market or neighborhood to get some assistance with it...

There are none where I live Sad Or anywhere remotely close. I actually went back to London a couple of months ago and looked for the stamp carving man but he wasn't at the same place anymore...

Thanks for all the advice - there are some things I haven't tried at all, so I will & I'll let you know if it worked!!  Kiss
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 10:59:03 PM by antigone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

windshadow
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008 01:02:34 AM »

Okay, if after trying it on flat surfaces and it still doesnt come out proper, i suppose that it might be due to the stamp not being flat.

Before carving, the stone is to be sandpapered to remove the wax at the bottom. At times, the sandpapering isnt done properly and the seal doesnt 'print' well. Would be good if i could see a photo of the print and your seal.

I did some seal engraving before and well, do know a bit on how it can go wrong. I'll try and take some photos of my seals to show you to compare.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008 07:33:34 AM »

Thank you windshadow!
I've been working a lot and had trouble sleeping so I actually haven't tried all the techniques above yet. I will, and maybe I can show you some photos?

However, the man who carved my stamp tried it on a piece of paper (which I have) and it looks flawless..... That's why I keep thinking about the ink. And kicked myself for not buying the ink then (just because I wasn't carrying much cash....)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008 07:34:49 AM by antigone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinamacmum
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008 10:40:50 AM »

Did you ever get this to work?
Also is it a "seal" ?

Our family had seals made for each of us while in China and I can't get them to work well either. I'm dying to use them the right way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008 10:31:42 PM »

I had a seal made of my name while in Malaysia and the woman who made it for me showed me how to stam it. instead of pressing straight down she put the stamp down on one edge and rocked it over the paper to the other edge. This seems to work with mine, also, I tend to need to use a lot of ink to get it to print properly.

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak Sandwich with Homemade Onion Rings
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak with Mashed Potatoes and White Gravy
Learn how to Finish an Apple and Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cake
Learn how to Bake an Apple and Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cake
Learn how to Cook with Vidalia Onion
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...