A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Life-Sized Weighted Companion Cube Plushie!  (Read 26378 times)
Tags for this thread: companion_cube , portal , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ElectricBlue22
« on: January 12, 2008 03:58:48 AM »

It's been ages since my last post, but I'm really proud of this one.  It's a late Christmas present for my boyfriend.  I actually started it in the middle of December but just finished it this morning .  I'll try to get some better pics with his camera after he unwraps it:P.

Thanks so much for looking, It's good to be back. Grin
-Manda
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008 02:45:08 PM by ElectricBlue22 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008 04:07:12 AM »

Oh my god! Good job, it looks perfect. Whats inside? And is the zipper to remove the outer covering?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
ElectricBlue22
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008 04:18:01 AM »

Oh my god! Good job, it looks perfect. Whats inside? And is the zipper to remove the outer covering?

Thanks. Smiley  I tried really hard to hide any mistakes I made since it's a gift and all!

It's stuffed with about 11 pounds of fiberfil.  The light gray areas are padded with foam so they stick out a lil more.  I added the zipper so I can change the stuffing and clean the outside covering.  I'm guessing I'll need to add more fluff once people start sitting on it and squishing it.  Later down the road when I have some money, I might want to just buy the boyfriend a nice big cube of foam to stick inside it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
papdefer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008 05:46:54 AM »

That's wonderful! Very well done. Is it comfy?

My boyfriend went through a crazy Portal phase a few weeks ago....not my kinda game I like to see things blow up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tied-in-knots
teh 0celot

machine gun baby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008 08:27:55 AM »

That is too awesome for words. Your boyfriend is a lucky guy!

Y'know what you should make him for Valentine's Day? A cake >_<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It looks like some kind of cat."
"What, you mean like a puma?"
"Yeah man, there ya go."
theaveragedream

beware of those who dislike cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008 09:10:21 AM »

Hahaha, yes! A cake! For Valentine's Day, that is a wonderful idea, tied-in-knots.

That companion cube is awesome. This makes me want to play Portal again (actually, I mostly watched my boyfriend play it...so fun...and funny...XD).

You did a REALLY good job. Mind sharing how you went about doing it? I would love love love to make one...and cherish it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ElectricBlue22
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008 12:29:09 PM »

That's wonderful! Very well done. Is it comfy?

It feels like a giant firm pillow. I think it would make a great gaming chair or footrest.

Hahaha, yes! A cake! For Valentine's Day, that is a wonderful idea, tied-in-knots.

That companion cube is awesome. This makes me want to play Portal again (actually, I mostly watched my boyfriend play it...so fun...and funny...XD).

You did a REALLY good job. Mind sharing how you went about doing it? I would love love love to make one...and cherish it...

I took step by step pictures of the entire process, so if you'd like, I could probably write a how-to.  It's a really long project with a lot of little details, but now that it's finished, it feels totally worth it.

The cake is a great idea for a valentine's day gift!  I think that's what I'll do! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmccomi
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008 12:34:01 PM »

Truly awesome - what are the dimensions?  Would also love to know how you did it ... my boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I think he'd love one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmccomi
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008 12:42:33 PM »

BTW, I think if I do make this for my boyfriend, I won't make it entirely from scratch.  I'd probably buy a foam ottoman in a darkish gray like the one here: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Deluxe-Memory-Foam-Cube-Ottoman/2519117/product.html - it has a removable microsuede cover and a 15x15x15" foam cube core with memory foam top and is relatively cheap, considering.  Then I would do the add-ons with a lighter gray and pink fabric to transform it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElectricBlue22
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008 12:53:24 PM »

Truly awesome - what are the dimensions?  Would also love to know how you did it ... my boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I think he'd love one.

Mine is about 21x21x21.  I actually looked at those exact foam ottomans before I started the project, but I felt that it had to be big enough to serve as a chair as well.  I think turning one of those ottomans into a companion cube would probably yield a very nice result; It's what I would have done if I hadn't gone for the extreme life-sized version.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Halloween Specimen Jars
How to Create Paper Pumpkins
How to Make a Trick-or-Treat Bag
How to Make a Sock Skeleton
How to Create a Cat Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...