A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting resources for Lefties??  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thadley

What the hell do you need a pattern for?!

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2008 03:48:32 PM »

So I get how to knit, I taught myself how to do it though and only be swapping out every "left" with a "right" and vice versa. (This gets VERY confusing by the way, haha). Anyway, everytime I need to learn a new technique, I get very nervous and hope I can pick it up (so far, so good, haha  Grin).

But... I've always wondered if there is any source that EXISTS to translate knitting stuff for lefties.

I've heard knitting continental style IS knitting left-handed, is this true? I currently create new stitches from right to left (meaning all new stitches end up on the left needle when I'm done with 'em).

LASTLY on this topic, I was concerned about chart reading... I just noticed that it says to read the chart from right to left... do I need to REVERSE this to account for being a lefty??? AHHH! Yikes.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara, the Craft-Rule-Breaker
"We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again..." The Eagles, Take It Easy
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008 04:01:33 PM »

I'm severely left handed, and couldn't learn right handed knitting.  I, too, knit right to left, and it's not a problem.  But yes, when I'm working from a chart or making an embossed image, it comes out reversed.  If I'm working from a chart, I copy it to paint on my computer and flip the image, if I can.  Otherwise, I just read it backwards.  It makes it a little harder, but this world wans't made for lefties.

As for resourses, I don't know of any.  I just sort of taught myself and worked out my own techniques.  I'm a little afraid of colorwork for this reason.  As I understand continential knitting, you hold the yarn in your left hand, as opposed to your right.  I'm not 100% on that, though.

Good to know i'm not alone, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thadley

What the hell do you need a pattern for?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008 04:11:37 PM »

hehe, yay for Lefty Knitters!!

Hmm, about the continental thing, I hold the yarn in my LEFT hand and knit from right to left. I think.  Roll Eyes
So I don't really know what the heck I do. I think I do half English (by wrapping the yarn with my opposite hand) and half continental by knitting right to left. If I understand the definitions, that is.

-Tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara, the Craft-Rule-Breaker
"We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again..." The Eagles, Take It Easy
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008 04:22:05 PM »

With continental, you're still knitting from the right-hand needle onto the left-hand one, so it's the same direction as English knitting.  You're just holding the yarn in your left hand instead of your right.

I'm a lefty but I was able to get the hang of right-handed knitting, so I don't have any resources for you.   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008 05:00:26 PM »

I learned from a bunch of different people.
I got my basics from a lefty who knit continental, but threw the yarn anyway.
I learned to cast off English.
I learned the long-tail cast on from a lefty.
I am a knitting amalgam!  Hear my roar!
But yeah, I'd have to say that the best resources are other lefthanded knitters.
I, personally am right-handed, so I can't be of much help there, but maybe check out your LYS?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zorka

I make life exciting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008 11:34:05 AM »

from what you've said, you're knitting english, but you're just doing it in reverse.  continental is where you end up with the stitches on the right needle, and you wrap the yarn with your left hand. 
I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!  un-Froomla
optimystik1
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008 11:50:21 AM »

What I was told is continental  is actually when you pick your stitches and do all the wokr with the tip of your needle,sliding it under the stitch, wrapping the yearn, and sliding the stitch off the tip.  You dont actually use your hand to wrap the thread around it when you are making new stitches. at least this is my understanging. I think being left or right handed is just the direction in which you go.

but I could just be on crack.

To do normal knitting I just change all directional references from left to right, and likewise. so if it read left, then I would go right. (its always opposite the pattern) if its a chart, I just go by the chart, I just change the way I do the stitches the same way I would if it was written out instructions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooooohhh! I wanna make that!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jimmy Gownley Talks About Amelia Rules
Andrew Griffiths Talks About Me Myth
Carin Rubenstein Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Philippa Gregory Talks About The Role of Magic
Marisa Silver Talks About The God of War
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...