A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,387
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Didgeridoo  (Read 2122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yesa
« on: January 11, 2008 11:17:22 AM »

First of all, if you don't know what didgeridoo is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didgeridoo
Basically it's a long, wooden pipe that resonates your sound when you blow air through it. It's an old musical instrument from Australian Aboriginal people.

After a long crafting hiatus I can proudly present my new creation. I took a course in local adult education centre where we made didgeridoos from tree trunks. They had only been dried and the branches chopped off ready for the course. It took the whole autumn, but it was fun and absolutely worth it!

My wood of choice was birch, and I'll tell you, it's hard, hard wood to work with...! The paints were made of iron oxide pigments, wood glue and water. Ok, enough with talking.

Here's a close up of the bee wax mouth piece:

It's about 1,42 meters (4,7 feet) long. I haven't learned to play it yet, but I'm getting there. Smiley Practice, practice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leahwoo9
Woohoo - my etsy!

Does this smell like chloroform to you?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008 11:32:35 AM »

That is just gorgeous!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://woohoocrossstitch.etsy.com  My g-rated store

http://crotchstitch.etsy.com  My x-rated store (beware!)
babyfatchance
Brattiness Extraordinaire

Sugar never tasted so good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008 11:39:39 AM »

Cheesy  That is absolutely AWESOME!!!  Great job!  I wish you could add the sound effects to your post- I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is having a scratch for every itch.
Gemcraft
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008 12:29:15 PM »

Wow I am SOO impressed - and it makes your lips feel REALLY funny playing (O:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008 12:36:14 PM »

my boyfriend and i were just wondering about making our own last night. he's pretty good at playing the dig. did you learn anything about different woods producing different sounds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Yesa
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008 01:34:04 PM »

Thank you all for the nice comments! Smiley

Cheesy  That is absolutely AWESOME!!!  Great job!  I wish you could add the sound effects to your post- I love it!

Haha, if I made a sound sample, it would be just some desperate hissing... But I really love the real sound of didgeridoos.

Wow I am SOO impressed - and it makes your lips feel REALLY funny playing (O:

That's so true Smiley You can become a kid again and play funny sounds with your lips and mouth. The didgeridoo just makes them sound cool!

my boyfriend and i were just wondering about making our own last night. he's pretty good at playing the dig. did you learn anything about different woods producing different sounds?

Our instructor told something about different woods and that they could have some small effect to the sound, but the most important things are the shape, length and the condition of the didgerigoo (meaning that it can't have any holes that might leak air). Some experts might say that "wood X" is the only one to make a good didgeridoo, but I wouldn't be so strict about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008 02:08:28 PM »

the local expert around here said wood type was very important with respect to cracking - apparently a lot of woods will eventually split and ruin the sound. he went to australia last year to learn more and brought back ecalyptus for his, but its too damn expensive for me.

in any case, yours is beautiful - i really like the painting on it ^_^ it must have been so much work to hollow it out too...
best of luck learning to play! my boyfriend was blowing bubbles in a jar for weeks before he got the hang of circular breathing, but it was totally worth the effort.

Here's my boy playing in the park on one we found at a fair trade shop for cheap (we had to make our own beeswax mouthpiece).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Yesa
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008 02:58:07 PM »

Ooh that looks really neat!

the local expert around here said wood type was very important with respect to cracking - apparently a lot of woods will eventually split and ruin the sound.

Oh yeah, that's right. The woods we used had been drying for at least a year to prevent later cracking, and since they all were from local trees, they are already used to the conditions around here (I don't know if that matters much). And we put a coat of hot wood tar inside the didgeridoo, so it's waterproof and protected (that's why the wood looks a bit dirty inside).

it must have been so much work to hollow it out too...

We used basic tools, so it took a long time. The only time we needed an electric machine was when we cut the trunk half to hollow it. Otherwise it's all pure muscle power and the touch of my hands. But I really enjoyed it! Usually I do small crafts and try to be careful with things. In the course when I took chisel to one hand and mallet to other and started to hit, I could empty my mind after a long day at school. To me it was like meditating.

best of luck learning to play! my boyfriend was blowing bubbles in a jar for weeks before he got the hang of circular breathing, but it was totally worth the effort. [/img]

Thanks! Blowing bubbles in water is the easiest way to learn the circular breathing, I think. Sometimes I get it right, but it's still hard with the didgeridoo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CupcakeChelsea

Personal Swap Friendly! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008 12:18:16 AM »

That is really good! Great job!

We went to a aboriginal walk thingy in December and this guy played the didgeridoo for us. He made animal sounds and played songs. It was really interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Today I woke up feeling lovely, happiness overflowin' knowin' somebody loves me."

Hi I'm Chelsea, I'd love to meet you!
ars_anima
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008 08:59:41 AM »

that's a sweet looking didj! was it drilled or was it split in two and emptied? and what tools did you use?

sorry for the questions, but I'm tired of the sound of my abs didgeridoos and i'm looking for some info to make a wooden one!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008 09:00:03 AM by ars_anima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Beaded Headbands
How to Make Beaded Watch Band Designs
How to Crimp Beads
How to Make a Beaded Lanyard
How to Use a Beading Board
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...